Kings coils 20mm lift.

Kings coils 20mm lift.

Postby Zwagerman9 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:35 pm

I have seen the question raised at times but no direct answer.

I had noticed significant sag on my Mq Triton post the install of my bullbar, winch and bash plates.

This led the ride to become quite bouncy and terrible off-road bottoming the front end out.

I did look into doing a 30-40mm lift kit..and probably one day will, I'm wanting to keep the car mostly stock for warranty purposes.

I purchased 50-100kg 20mm kings lifted coils for about $170 and had my mechanic replace the stock coils with the kings coils keeping the original strut in place. The price being 3 hours labor and a wheel alignment.

While I understand this will undoubtably cause a quicker strut failure/wear I was trying to not fix something that isn't broke.

I must say I am stoked with the result, at this point in time I would say the car is leveled out. The drive is significantly improved. At this point I have not taken the vehicle offroad since the install.

At this very minute I do not have heights available on me. But will try and add them later.

Thanks again

Rae
Zwagerman9

Re: Kings coils 20mm lift.

Postby bodia on Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:01 pm

I assume you are asking why people recommend replacing both spring and shock. Doing some research on motocross suspension setup will help out if you want to know more. When you buy a motocross bike the first thing you do is change the springs to suit the static sag. This is done stationery and only the riders weight has any affect. Once you have the right spring rates you change the compression and rebound dampening to suit the speed and tracks you ride and you generally set this up so that you lightly bottom once or twice a lap only so that you are using full travel. By changing springs on your car you have allowed for the extra weight of the bulbar. If you say the ride is good then you don't need to change the dampening. If you find too much body roll, wallowing, and bottoming out then you need to increase the strut dampening (by installing aftermarket struts). The strut failing is due to strut quality not dampening. If you like the current ride then if your struts failed you should ask for replacement struts with OEM compression and dampening rates. If you don't you will get struts with firmer settings (I believe they increase dampening on all aftermarket struts)
bodia

Re: Kings coils 20mm lift.

Postby Zwagerman9 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:15 pm

Thanks for the response. Helpful information. I have been pleasantly surprised with the change over of coils. I'm curious to see how it all settles over the next 6 months. It drives heaps better on the road and feels quite firm. But most importantly it looks a lot better level.
Zwagerman9

Return to Suspension