best rear protection for MQ Dual cab?

best rear protection for MQ Dual cab?

Postby johnlv on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:32 pm

Looking for help as confused what is the best rear protection bar to put on my new MQ. Mainly best departure angle.

ARB pictures looks flush but not sure on the side protection as appears to be a wrap around bumper
TJM- looks like it sticks out more at back and maybe adds to departure angle problems? Does have a bar around back side though
Ironman. Seems flush and higher up?

Any one has any rear bars? if so brands and are you happy with departure not hanging up more than it should?

TJM appears to be the cheapest at $600 under ARB

Cheers John
johnlv

Re: best rear protection for MQ Duel cab?Help

Postby johnlv on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:35 pm

sorry. I think I posted in wrong area
johnlv

Re: best rear protection for MQ Dual cab?

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:02 pm

Moved, but keeping open because it's MQ specific.

Have a look in the Fourth Generation area at this thread. Same problem, different model.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Thanatos on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:25 pm

I've got an ARB Summit Rear Bar ordered and on the way. Not sure if its the best departure angle but I prefer the look of it over the Ironman and TJM options. The Ironman bar looks like it would have the maximum angle from the photos I've seen.
Have you seen the ARB product release pdf? I'm not sure if it's up on their website yet but I was given a copy when I ordered the bar. Can post some screenshots if you like.
There are two types of people in this world; those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Thanatos

Postby Thanatos on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:28 pm

johnlv wrote:ARB pictures looks flush but not sure on the side protection as appears to be a wrap around bumper

Those wrap around bits are replaceable steel panels coming off the main 60mm steel bar and I think also have brackets attaching them to the side of the tub, will be pretty good as far as side protection goes I think.
There are two types of people in this world; those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Thanatos

Postby Duck on Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:30 pm

Yes Summit rear bar, they have a fair cutout at the back each side on the tub, then a bracket through to the chasy & the wings are replaceable.
I reckon they look great & trailer socket etc are hidden away - compressor outlet as well 8-)
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Ads10 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:32 pm

New to the forum. Long time reader, first post just a quick one on the rear bars as im picking up my first 4x4 GLS MQ Triton after boxing day. Nice little xmas present for myself i must say.

Has anyone ever used the EFS bars? either rear or bullbar. I like the look of the MCC jack bar but have just come across the EFS rear bar which is somewhat similar and there is a dealer near by.

any advice would be appreciated.
Ads10

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:22 am

The EFS is probably made by MCC.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Zwagerman9 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:43 am

Happy with iron man rear bar. Good and solid. Easy to stand on to help get into the tray at the sides as well. Trailer 7 flat pin integrated into bar. I've been pretty happy. I agree the arb looks better. But I dont know how well the side panels would take a hit against rocks etc. Probably end up damaging the tub. They seem to sit pretty close to the paint.
Zwagerman9

Postby Merts on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:00 pm

I have an ARB Summit on mine. They are a bit pricey, but it's brilliant. I've dropped the rear on things including rock ledges and it's handled it very well.
I put an ironman on one of our work MQs and it doesn't look as good, but it's solid and I reckon would do the job well too.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Zwagerman9 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:17 am

Awesome to hear Merts. I was curious how they would cope. Good to hear positive feedback. Looks and assumptions don't beat user tests.
Zwagerman9

Postby chris_s on Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:47 pm

The TJM rear bar is great too. It protects everything from the rear wheel to the back, has a good solid step for getting to the roof rack, and an integrated towbar.
chris_s

Postby 3xion on Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:54 pm

I have the Ironman rear bar and love it, stock height keep hitting it while out and about and more than covered my ass :P
3xion

Postby Jeff on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:51 pm

Does anyone know how heavy the different rear bar options are? Shops never seem to have this information or at least dont want to give it out.
I like the look of the Ironman bar but with the external folded 4mm steel plate (which looks like the bottom half of a bullbar) and a conventional looking towbar in behind, it looks heavy to me 60kg maybe? This weight so far behind the axle is a bit of a concern, hence i'd like to get one of the more lightweight options (mcc?)
Jeff

Postby Nick Bagus on Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:02 pm

Jeff wrote:Does anyone know how heavy the different rear bar options are? Shops never seem to have this information or at least dont want to give it out.
I like the look of the Ironman bar but with the external folded 4mm steel plate (which looks like the bottom half of a bullbar) and a conventional looking towbar in behind, it looks heavy to me 60kg maybe? This weight so far behind the axle is a bit of a concern, hence i'd like to get one of the more lightweight options (mcc?)

Hey guys, wanting to continue this thread and line of questions! Looking into rear bars at the moment on stock suspension, has anyone got any feedback/comments on the Outback Armor rear step? It looks really good and is a reasonable price.

Cheers
Nick Bagus

Postby m sciffer on Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:45 pm

hi there
I found the arb rear tow bar with the step built in and protects the rear . I have no complaints about it and cost was about 1100 dollars and is solid for towing .
m sciffer

Return to Exterior Mods