Numberplate accessory mounts

Numberplate accessory mounts

Postby Lawz on Sat May 21, 2016 8:18 am

I don't see the point in getting a bullbar anytime soon as I don't particular need the weight for where it will spend most it's life in the city with odd occasion of off roading. However with a trip up north to Byfield and surrounds in few months I thought I'd need to mount usual accessories of LED light bar or spotties and uhf aerial etc. So I came across one of these numberplate accessory mounts.
http://www.greatwhites.com.au/product/view/29
What's your opinions? Would it be legal to have something like this as I have rarely seen these on vehicles.
Lawz

Re: Numberplate accessory mounts

Postby borngeek on Sat May 21, 2016 8:27 am

Not sure on legalities, doubt you get pinged, but have a look at the tinfoil behind the plastic bumper you be screwing this into.. I expect it will snap off with that amount of weight on it.. at the very least it will bend..

Fairly cheap are after market nudge bars that secure to the chassis and are strong enough for your accessories without breaking the bank..
One example, there are many more if you hunt on ebay. ;)

http://www.tjm.com.au/en/product/polished-alloy-nudge-bar-high-loop-12
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kxboss on Sat May 21, 2016 9:16 am

I used a cheap ass auto one with two narva 175s on it for two years with no issues.
I had a guard mount arial with no isues about 20 buck super cheapo
kxboss

Postby harvster on Sat May 21, 2016 9:42 am

On my 2012 MN about 75mm behind the bumperbar, there is a steel tube. There are 2 holes in that tube that line up with the threaded holes in the bumperbar for numberplate mounting.

I drilled out the threaded holes to the same diameter as the holes in the tube, can't remember the size, and bolted the Repco mount and numberplate through the bumper to the steel tube.

Hold my El Cheapo ebay light bar steady.
harvster
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lawz on Sun May 22, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah that was my thoughts about the strength of screwing in the plate/bracket.
I have thought about the genuine nudge bar as it has additional support however I'm quite sure a member with an MQ on here had a bad installation issue from the dealer which I can't find and had sort of put me off hence I was thought this numberplate bracket was the other option amongst aftermarket nudgebar.
Lawz

Postby donks1 on Mon May 23, 2016 5:18 pm

Don't worry about legalities. I had something similar on my Commondore. Dopey Qld copper questioned me on it once, until I pointed out it was exactly the same as NSW coppers were using at the time. ( I was NSW registered)
On the Commy, I ran 12 mm bolts through the bar reinforcement, which was right behind it. Strong enough to bounce a Roo over the roof, with no other damage than the busted spotties.

See if you can run long mounts through to something solid.

Steve
donks1

Postby RHKTriton on Mon May 23, 2016 10:21 pm

The simple folded metal wouldn't meet ADRs, sharp edge up front.

There are similar setups that comply by having a section of tube across the front.

I had one of these for my antenna and driving lights. Was plenty solid enough bolting into the metal section behind the bumper.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kouta666 on Tue May 24, 2016 7:43 am

That would work on the rear too for a camera and lights....if you didnt want to drill holes
kouta666

Return to Exterior Mods