7500 km services

Re: 7500 km services

Postby BBP on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:27 pm

Genebaby wrote:I have also heard that you really need the dealer to change the oil as there is some kind of counter that the ECU uses to determine the age/drive time of the oil, so if you change it to new oil and this doesn't get reset, it's all out of whack.

Anybody know anything about this?

Have never heard of any vehicle doing that with oil. How would it know the oils been changed. Maybe you are thinking of the next service counter. I would expect that it gets set each service.
I'll be using Penrite full synth 10-140 next. The dealer told me they usually use Great Western oil, and I am thinking Penrite should be better. Never had an issue with Penrite in the past.
BBP

Postby Genebaby on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:35 pm

What I'm talking about isn't the service counter, this other thing can only be reset with dealer tools apparently. It kind of makes sense, but also not.

Interesting nobody has heard of it here. Here is what I have read about it.

The above models have a oil life counter that needs to be reset at each oil change. As the new oil "ages" in your engine the cars computer will make adjustments to the operating perameters of the engine to compensate for the aging oil. If the oil life counter is not reset the cars brain will still think that you are still running the same oil even though the oil has been changed. This all revolves around the DPF function.
From my understanding very few independent mechanics know this, even some Mitsubishi technicians where unaware of this oil life reset.
Genebaby

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:05 am

Is the above text Triton or Mitsi specific?

I know the Mercedes commercial vehicles can have oil changes exceeding 30k, with the ecu determining how the engine has been driven. Heavy use will shorten the interval to the next change, etc.

Some vehicles simply set a flag when x number of kms have accrued since a counter was last reset.

There seems to be an ongoing trend for manufacturers to circumvent restrictive trade laws by adding features that make it difficult for independent or diy mechanics.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby WUNSIE on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:56 pm

Genebaby wrote:
I have also heard that you really need the dealer to change the oil as there is some kind of counter that the ECU uses to determine the age/drive time of the oil, so if you change it to new oil and this doesn't get reset, it's all out of whack.

Sounds like something a salesman would come up with, what a load of horse sh*t :roll:
WUNSIE

Postby Smokey on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:04 am

Hi Guys...
Is anyone able to give a definitive answer to the above?
I have an MR Triton that I want to make sure is kept as well
as can be in terms of oil changes etc - I have done almost 5000k,
and don't relish the thought of leaving the first oil change to 15000k
as the dealer would suggest.
I'm ok with doing it myself - but would like to know when and what type of
oil would be the most suitable.
Cheers all.
Smokey

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:50 pm

SAE 5w 30 C1, C2, C3 or C4 , or JASO DL-1
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Smokey on Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:11 am

Thanks once again Dibby..!
Smokey

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:25 am

Genebaby wrote:
I have also heard that you really need the dealer to change the oil as there is some kind of counter that the ECU uses to determine the age/drive time of the oil, so if you change it to new oil and this doesn't get reset, it's all out of whack.

With regards to the oil counter....

There is a oil exchange service setting that needs to be reset. Ideally after every service, but if you are doing 7500 intervals i wouldnt bother.

The ECU records all the extra fuel added to regenerate the DPF. It then calculates how much of this has entered the engine oil, thus increasing the level and diluting the oil.

If there is a problem with the system and the dpf cant regenerate, the ecu will keep trying, the oil level will rise, and the counter will increase. Once it has reached its calculated maximum of 1550cc it will create a fault code and stop trying to regen, and if you keep going the DPF will clog quite quickly.

On a car that is performing as it should, the oil counter will not increase, I often see 0cc as the figure during checking. Anything up to 400cc i would average out as normal operation. A car that does not get hot enough to regenerate effectively because of stop/start short journeys etc. could have this amount recorded.

These are the cars that it is important to get it reset at oil change, because its an indicator of a potential fault, and if the counter does not get reset it will accumalate and reach 1550cc, even though it has had all its servicing, the code will be generated, and a trip to a garage to investigate will be needed.

A good technician would be able to look at all the data, including service history, and deduce that it just has never been reset due to not being serviced at dealer or competant garage. But if it went back to Ted in the Shed motors, he could be looking for a fault that isnt there.

So if you change the oil yourself, leaving the reset till next normal service would be ok, as not much is gonna happen in 7500, and it is more useful to reset it then to see how the system is performing.

Hope this helps
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby WUNSIE on Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:15 pm

Hi Dibby, Dibby,
mate you seem very knowledgeable when it comes to the practicable side of Tritons, do you work for Mitsubishi,
Cheers from myself if you do, as it is good getting first hand responses from someone who actually works on them, by the way mate how did you get on with the Electric Brake Wiring diagrams for me ;)
Also whilst we are talking of engine oil ( Low SAPS ) what are your thoughts on running a 10w40 weight oil
WUNSIE

Postby explorer.dave on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:35 am

Also whilst we are talking of engine oil ( Low SAPS ) what are your thoughts on running a 10w40 weight oil

Don't know if this is any help to you but l recently changed my oil out for 10w40 (Penrite semi-synthetic) after doing the valve clearances, noticeably higher engine noise and regret my choice of engine oil.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:03 pm

I would most certainly stick with 5w30.

Have a chat with Smokey. I helped him out with one recently. I dont have any instructions available to me at the moment. Havent fitted a Electric brake kit for a while it seems
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Smokey5159 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 am

Hi fellas,
So - can I ask, is it resonable to assume that doing an oil change oneself will be undetectable by the dealer?
(also to Wunsie - I'm happy to send a copy of the electric brake harness install diagram from Mitsi I just completed to you if you so desire)
Smokey.
Smokey5159

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:03 pm

Smokey5159 wrote:Hi fellas,
So - can I ask, is it resonable to assume that doing an oil change oneself will be undetectable by the dealer?

Smokey.

It doesnt matter really. the only way to tell was if you didnt use a genuine oil filter or if you put sealer around sump plug or used wrong sump washer.

I did a 15000 on a paj sport yesterday, and it had had a 7500 at a local garage. they used genuine filter, but had reused the sump washer and put sealer around it. it was leaking. They had overinflated tyres (sticker on door easy to read) and overfilled rear diff oil. We just advised customer that diff was overful, and to check with garage they used correct spec. And obviously we drained the excess out.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby WUNSIE on Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:21 pm

Smokey5159 wrote:
(also to Wunsie - I'm happy to send a copy of the electric brake harness install diagram from Mitsi I just completed to you if you so desire)
Smokey.

Thanks Smokey, Look forward to it,that would be most appreciated,
Cheers WUNSIE ;)
WUNSIE

Postby Smokey on Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:09 pm

Hey Wunsie - it seems that I can't PM you,
do you have anyway I can email you a copy..?
Smokey

service reset

Postby pete10 on Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:00 pm

i have a mq now with 45,000 on it.It has had its 3 services done with an independant mechanic who has never reset the spanner,so it had the 15000 spanner and i want to reset it to 6000k.So i did the proceedure but it only let me do it once to 30000k,ive tried do do it again to 45000 but it wont let me .Any help appreciated Thanks
pete10

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:52 pm

You need a suitable scantool to reset the indicator to 6000

Refer to this post

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22826
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby pete10 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:41 am

cheers dibby
pete10

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:19 pm

The oil counter is a record of how much extra diesel has been injected to the cylinders to start regeneration of the DPF. Not all of this extra fuel gets burnt, some of it dilutes the engine oil, and the oil counter records this.

I was told by a technical trainer at MMAL that we should reset the oil counter at every service, but this was against the recommendations of MMC. Since then It has been confirmed NOT to reset the counter unless there is a fault with the system.

So do not worry about them not resetting the counter. It is a good data item to keep an eye on for DPF performance, But unless your garage knows a lot about DPF and emission control systems is is probably only useful for a dealer
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Previous

Return to Servicing