Hi im new here and would appreciate opinions..

Hi im new here and would appreciate opinions..

Postby BIGJEZ on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:08 pm

Hi guys I bought a Brand new MQ triton in march and I am new to these new fandangled 4x4s. My previous vehicle was a 1984 Pajero..... i made a horrible error in judgment two weeks ago which i am now having corrected. My question is two fold will tuning and running my new engine with 21.9:1 AFR at its 'richest' mean i have cleaner egrs and less soot to clog the DPF? Will it also lower my EGTs? Pros and cons? I have anlready fitted a provent filtered catch can and a 'secondary' fuel filter pre factory filter.. any advise would be appreciated.. fuel economy on these new tritons suck IMO?
BIGJEZ

Re: Hi im new here and would appreciate opinions..

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:08 pm

In theory, yes. But the EGR and DPF systems are there to control two distinctly different things - oxides of nitrogen in the former case and soot or particulate matter in the latter. These emissions are produced, at their respective peaks, under completely different conditions, so limiting one may not have a huge effect on the other.

For example, very high NOx rates are produced at idle and light load when there is minimal fuel being injected and consequently, an excess of air, or more correctly, oxygen. The EGR system defeats this by sending back some oxygen depleted gas drawn from the exhaust. In these conditions, though, the AFR will be at its highest, i.e. the engine will be running lean and particulate matter production relatively low.

Conversely, at high load there will be much less air in the mix, less NOx produced but more soot. The EGR doesn't operate, either at all or at much lower levels, under these conditions.

So, limiting the AFR isn't really going to have such a big impact on buildup in the intake system. In the petrol world AFRs are quite important but, for diesels, with their ability to dynamically change, this isn't always the case. Maintaining that magical 14.7:1 ratio isn't imperative and the engine ECU generally does a pretty good job of managing things, including periodic self cleaning of the DPF in the 'burn' function.

Your secondary fuel filter will help to keep the injectors clean and operating at efficiency while the catch can is a good thing to keep the intake system dry and clean.

As for economy, these things weigh 2 tonnes plus and are well capable of sub 8l/100km. What do you want?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby BIGJEZ on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:17 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:
As for economy, these things weigh 2 tonnes plus and are well capable of sub 8l/100km. What do you want?

Hi thanks for the reply 5th.. the best i hve ever been able to get out of my MQ is 9.6l/100km on the highway.. id honestly be thrilled if i could get it down to 8l/100km. Im not a lead foot im a very conservative driver when it comes to my baby. Hahaha

And 5th i know you have read and edited my other post which is fine. But if you know anyone that wants tuning done i cant higly enough recommend Lloyd from Turbo Engineering in Thomastown. He fixed all the issues and it wasnt cheap. But im happy because Tiffany Triton is back on the road.

Dont laugh my 3 year old son named her. Hahaha.
BIGJEZ

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Tiffany. :lol: There's a thread from a long time back about the names given to our Tritons.

I used to be able to get down to 10l/100km in my ML, and it was a petrol V6. Not around town, of course. In the Pajero I've seen a best of 6l/100km and it weighs nearly a tonne more than a standard Triton. It's also capable of 15l/100km if I push hard. So 9.6l/100km doesn't seem too far out of the ballpark and obviously depends on conditions, accessories etc. Chipping or tuning can have an effect, too.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to Fuel Systems