New member buying new triton

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

New member buying new triton

Postby Adamj on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:51 am

Hi guys just thought I would introduce my self Im currently in the market for a new dual cab 4wd. I own several concrete trucks and I'm carting three tool boxes, drums of oil (20ltr) and a big tub of assorted crap that goes with owning trucks, in a short wheelbase GQ which doubles as the weekend racetruck. This is a major pain if I have to throw truck tyre in. Ive narrowed the feild down to a triton or a colarado, when I drove the colarado I thought yeah this is nice and it does have a 3t towing capacity,but when I took a GLXR for a drive my first impression was WOW this is really nice its quieter, more responsive and looks alot better than any dualcab on the market. The Triton's only down side is the 2500kg towing capacity and when I was specing one out with the dealer he told me the towbar was only good for 2300kg with 230kg ball weight, why would Mitsubishi only fit a tow bar that's less than the vehicle's towing capacity. for this reason Ive put a hold on the deisel GLXR we had ordered as our off road caravan weighs in at around 2400kg with a 250kg ball weight,any infomation on this would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Adam.
Adamj

Re: New member buying new triton

Postby tritionspecn on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:18 am

Cant help there mate but I am sure you will find your answers shortly.

Welcome to the site. :)
tritionspecn

Postby Greedy on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:32 am

The petrol(3.5ltr) has a 2300kg towing capacity wheras the diesel(3.2ltr) is 2500kg. My factory towbar is also rated like this.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:37 am

MUCH better off with an after market rear tow bar - I was told but didn't listen - now it scrapes almost as much as the sidesteps :( I don't know that the towing capacity would change though - still 2500kg for diesel I'd guess.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Eelesy on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:50 am

Wewlcome mate. lots of info here.
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Adamj on Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:05 pm

thanks for the info guys Im deffinately getting a 3.2 GLXR I went to mitsi at capalaba and the sales man was a complete nob just kept telling what I couldnt have, so I will give Bartons at Wynum a go.
Adamj

Postby snowman on Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:24 pm

mate i have the ARB rear step towbar and it is only rated for 2300 probably to suit the petrols. :evil:

as my diesel is rated for 2500kg i would not hesitate to use the bar to that rating as it wont break before the car i can tell you. ARB gear is well made, if not a bit expensive.

However legalities are not.......

I will say this though (hang on i am grabbing my flak jacket) if you are going to tow 2400kg van + other bits and pieces which will take you well up to around 3000kg (unless i have misread 2400 being max weight all up :? ) you may want to consider a whole other tow vehicle market with a 6 or even 8 cylinder diesel. that is pretty tough work for a 3.2 litre four potter in my opinion regardless of their max rating. :|

....or at least budget for a chip or ECU mod. :)
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Adamj on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:10 pm

thanks for the advice snowman 2.4t is the gross weight of the van we weighed at a quarry I pull out of with one of my trucks( watertanks full gas bottles full).Our usual tow vehical is my wifes 5cylinder 2.5 discovery although we did slip on a 3 inch exhaust bigger intercooler and reprogram the computer to 160kw at the fly wheel, gives the 4.2 cruisers a run for their money. then theirs the trusty old mav/GQ shorty which doubles as the work truck during the week and the comp vehical on weekends.unfortunatly their are no big motored dual cab utes on the market and the only dual cab that can tow 3.5t is the defender and I dont think we want to go their. that brings me back to the triton you would be supprised how well these 4cyl turbo diesels tow a friend of mine has a stx navara and a 3t van now he has shed some weight off it,since his fine.we were on our way back from a weekend away and got wheeled in at black mountain by queensland transport,they put us over the pads and weighed the ball weights I was all leagel my mate a touch over 200kg and 50kg over his ball weight, they did raise an eyebrow at the shorty though time to start towing it to comps instead of driving it,enter the triton. as for mods lets just say no vehical I have ever owned has stayed standard for long.
Adamj

Return to Introductions