Air Conditioning

Anything Triton related

Re: Air Conditioning

Postby ag9111 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:06 am

Brayden's dad wrote:Hi,

The higher the temperature differential between what the air temperature is to what you want it to be, the harder the A/C has to work. For example, it is much harder to lower the temperature 18 deg form 40 external to 22 in the cab than it is to lower it 8 degrees from 30 external to 22 inside the cab.

Not true. The system in our utes operate a 100% capacity wether they are being asked to drop the temperature 2 deg or 50deg
Its only the time that the system runs for that changes, till it reaches its set point.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brent1 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:14 am

fridgie wrote:I have my vents aimed as high as possible and it gets colder in the back than the front. Recirculate on 3 to begin with then drop to 2 once it cools down a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely do that
Brent1

Postby fridgie on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:46 am

ag9111 wrote:

The higher the temperature differential between what the air temperature is to what you want it to be, the harder the A/C has to work. For example, it is much harder to lower the temperature 18 deg form 40 external to 22 in the cab than it is to lower it 8 degrees from 30 external to 22 inside the cab.

Not true. The system in our utes operate a 100% capacity wether they are being asked to drop the temperature 2 deg or 50deg
Its only the time that the system runs for that changes, till it reaches its set point.

Technically though, the more heat it has to remove, the longer it has to run, the more bearings etc heat up causing extra drag, thereby causing the compressor to heat up more adding heat into the refrigerant as extra load so you could say that yes, it does have to work harder :-P
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby ag9111 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:49 am

All things being equal Joel :roll: God, You guys are hard work sometimes

But it can only run at 100% capacity regardless of extra friction etc
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brayden's dad on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:24 am

ag9111 wrote:

Fine....I only do it for a living.
"Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health - WHAT have the Romans ever done for us??"
Brayden's dad

Postby Kegsy on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:52 am

But the compressor is either on or off?

Doesn't it run flat chat no matter what the temp is?, the user controls temp via the fan box...

Serious question, not a challenge.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hvac guy on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:58 am

ag9111 wrote:

the system may have 100% duty cycle but the capacity of the system changes in relation
head pressure which is heavly dependent on ambient temps and air flow though the condenser.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby KevO78 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:58 am

Well just an update, i had a mate top up the gas last weekend, wasn't real low and a dealer would say it was within spec. I can defiantly feel a difference in a good way :D now gets a lot cooler, 5~7oC which on a 44oC day is great
KevO78

Postby fridgie on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:07 pm

hvac guy wrote:
ag9111 wrote:

the system may have 100% duty cycle but the capacity of the system changes in relation
head pressure which is heavly dependent on ambient temps and air flow though the condenser.

This ^^^^^
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby smlr on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:47 pm

An A/C system is as good as its condenser. The better the cooling the better the system will work. You should never top up the gas, actually it's illegal. These compressors are variable displacement compressors & therefore the correct amount of gas should be put in which means removing the gas then put the correct amount in.
smlr

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:24 pm

For his day and age the ML AC is a bit under average and inconsistent.

My Rocky had a brilliant unit with variable temperature selection, my Commodores were very good as well as numerous other cars.

My Dad's Camira had the best AC I've ever experienced - hit the switch and icey air was coming out in seconds.

My daughter's Alto has a compressor the size of your fist and also blasts out freezing air - red car and not that much difference in cabin volume.

One solution I'm considering is Tinting front windows, better insulate roof and paint roof silver in middle section.

Missing condensor fan must also play a part.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby desblaze on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:50 am

Well my Aircon decided 4 months out of warrenty that it would stop being cold. I wouldn't mind so much except that I live in Mount Isa and its 35 Deg at 8 in the morning. Been told its the evaporator and you can only get an original part. $1700.00 all up. Not sure if thats a good price. But to keep the Missus happy it MUST BE FIXED! so she said.
desblaze

Postby Homer on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:57 am

Wreckers mate...they all have AC ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Honky on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:46 am

I have not read all of the threads but have the people whose A/C do not work that well also advised what colour their tritons are?
Mine is white and works a treat even around 40 heat which is nearly every day over the last month.
A bit better than the black commodore I had previously which had a very good air con.
I would also not like the car to be 7 when it is 44 outside as it would make me sick getting in and out.
Irrespective of how high the temperature is, a change of 25 degrees will kill a sheep even in the middle of summer.

Honky
Honky

Postby fridgie on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Homer wrote:Wreckers mate...they all have AC ;)

x2

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby desblaze on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:43 pm

Mine ML is Black. Has the white strips down the roof and bonnet of faded paint. No wreckers up in Mt Isa either. I have been told by a few people that the silver solder in the joints of the AC pipe work gets eaten out by the Sulhpur in the atmoshpere. If I'm going to replace it, it might as well be new so the issue doesn't happen again.
desblaze

Postby Hugebettyswollocks on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:59 am

The AC in my MN GLXR has been poor since l bought it from new, on the first service l told them this and the tech said he thought it was poor too, so l had to bring it back another day when the AC guy was back from holidays. So l did, it was a cool morning and so I didnt hae the aircon on recirculate or turned all the way down. Picked up the car and was told they used the infra red gun and it was within factory specs. And you know what the cheeky prick said to me?

'the problem is sir that you havnt turned the aircon to its coolest setting and put the recirculation on!' the reponse i gave back has me now barred from returning to the garage

Anyway on a hot day l find that as the temperature out side rises l actually have to turn the temp setting up to stop being blown away when the AC is on auto, which l find strange?!
Its not so bad on the open road, but at a standstill its worse than useless, definately as a result of the missing fan. So lam going to purchase the factory fan and relay and see what difference that makes.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12913&hilit=thermo
Cò an caora sin còmhla riut a chunnaic mi an-raoir?
Hugebettyswollocks

Postby fridgie on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:00 pm

desblaze wrote:Mine ML is Black. Has the white strips down the roof and bonnet of faded paint. No wreckers up in Mt Isa either. I have been told by a few people that the silver solder in the joints of the AC pipe work gets eaten out by the Sulhpur in the atmoshpere. If I'm going to replace it, it might as well be new so the issue doesn't happen again.

Might pay to go through a wreckers and have it shipped up to you, if it is indeed the sulphur eating out the solder (can't say I've ever heard of that before but can't say it doesn't happen either) then buying new just puts you in the same position but a lot more coin down the drain ;-)

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Duck on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:41 am

I spent quite a few years in the Isa & our vehicles spent longer again out there, never had any solder issues from the fallout, the only issue out there was the Irish club it will kill you. :mrgreen: I would agree if you can try second hand save the money to put towards the AC fan. Just a thought. Good luck :D

fridgie wrote:
desblaze wrote:Mine ML is Black. Has the white strips down the roof and bonnet of faded paint. No wreckers up in Mt Isa either. I have been told by a few people that the silver solder in the joints of the AC pipe work gets eaten out by the Sulhpur in the atmoshpere. If I'm going to replace it, it might as well be new so the issue doesn't happen again.

Might pay to go through a wreckers and have it shipped up to you, if it is indeed the sulphur eating out the solder (can't say I've ever heard of that before but can't say it doesn't happen either) then buying new just puts you in the same position but a lot more coin down the drain ;-)
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Homer on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:44 am

Yes I'd be surprised that the silver solder in the evaporator would be eaten away...it's inside the car and rarely transfers much external air/solvents compared to the condenser outside...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby mad992 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:27 pm

yes well im off to the dealers again on thursday my a-c has gone into limp mode :oops:
mad992

Postby mad992 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:32 pm

gidday fellas, well well i need to say a big thank you to mitsubishi for its fantastic 5yr warranty (mine expires 30 december)and to the dealer Nambour Mitsubishi for doing there jobs .While my AC is cool its not cold and ive had a gutfull :x so i decided to get it sorted before the 5yrs.

my unit had 75grams of gas when they did the vac out.

should have been 550grams spec from factory.

so they ran some tests and found the head pressure not right and the evaporator is getting replaced, with the tx valve and the receiver dryer,new o rings and regassed,i suppose they are covering all bases.all getting done tommorrow because the parts had to come up from brizzy,so all i can say is thank god for the 5 yr warranty. :D
mad992

Postby Bigbirdalx on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:48 pm

mad992 wrote:gidday fellas, well well i need to say a big thank you to mitsubishi for its fantastic 5yr warranty (mine expires 30 december)and to the dealer Nambour Mitsubishi for doing there jobs .While my AC is cool its not cold and ive had a gutfull :x so i decided to get it sorted before the 5yrs.

my unit had 75grams of gas when they did the vac out.

should have been 550grams spec from factory.

so they ran some tests and found the head pressure not right and the evaporator is getting replaced, with the tx valve and the receiver dryer,new o rings and regassed,i suppose they are covering all bases.all getting done tommorrow because the parts had to come up from brizzy,so all i can say is thank god for the 5 yr warranty. :D

Not sure if its common prac for cars. But ask for a uv dye to be out in. Makes future leaks very easy to locate
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby hvac guy on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:51 pm

and change the oil in the compressor 8-)
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:01 pm

ok so i got a new evaporater

a new tx valve

a new reciever dryer

new "o" rings

and gas

great. :)
mad992