More overboosting......................

Anything Triton related

Postby TUFF TROOP on Wed May 16, 2012 8:46 am

Serious? Haha
TUFF TROOP

Re: More overboosting......................

Postby mattie182 on Wed May 16, 2012 10:36 am

Yep - seriously.....
mattie182

Postby bandit on Wed May 16, 2012 3:20 pm

yeah my 2011 mitsy same prob..it has 2 3/4 exhaust and a snorkel and steinbauer fitted and boost gauge fitted..overboosting while towing so went back to dealers got the new upgrade....driving home from work on the freeway at 110kph loaded it up on a hill in 5th auto and geuss what 25psi boost pressure and limp mode...i'm over it
bandit

Postby Tony on Wed May 16, 2012 6:39 pm

So my dealer was right in saying there is no real fix as yet in some cases?

From what I can work out, adding fuel via chips, tunes etc and a larger exhaust will defiantly make it worse if they tend to do this in stock form.

bandit, can you tell me at what elevation above sea level your at when this happens? I find they're worse for this at 800mtrs on. :?
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattie182 on Thu May 17, 2012 12:00 pm

I'm even more confused now......
How do I get this upgrade?
Is it going to work??
mattie182

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 17, 2012 7:43 pm

mattie182 wrote:I'm even more confused now......
How do I get this upgrade?
Is it going to work??

Ask your dealer for it? I guess it will depend on your dealer as to whether they are up with the latest releases?

Won't know until you try it I suppose.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby mattie182 on Sun May 20, 2012 9:46 am

Well it's booked in for next wednesday..

My light definately does not turn it self off - It has been two weeks now on.
The dealership still tell me there is nothing available in an upgrade for the ecu....

So it'll go in, have teh light reset, they will tell me to pull the exhaust off, and Ill wait for it too happen again and repeat the process :roll: :roll:
mattie182

Postby paddstar69 on Mon May 21, 2012 7:08 pm

Not sure if the problem I had has to do with over boosting. Few weeks ago i took a trip through central nsw, when heading towards orange about 10 km out of town I was sitting in a line of traffic of about 4 cars I think we were behind a learner driver. I was in fourth gear - manual, a clear road ahead i changed down to 3rd gear and used full throttle to accelerate out of the line of traffic - hears the interesting part! :shock: as i was half way along the car in front of me on the wrong side of the road a huge bang and loud high pressure air loss and yep no power - my thoughts turned straight to shit what was that - then how do i get back onto the left lane. luckily the space i left behind me was still there and i managed to merge back into the line of traffic and onto the breakdown lane all of this going what felt like a 100 mile an hour backwards. lifted the bonnet and found the turbo hose had blown off. :? found another hose clamp in the tool bag refitted and drove into orange like an old fart. Has anybody had a hose blow off. My truck is standard apart from egr blank plate and catch can. did not get a chance to see what boost was registering on the scan gauge when this happened. :? :? hasn't happened again. the truck was fairly loaded with camping gear - no trailer, slight incline in the road.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
paddstar69
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TUFF TROOP on Mon May 21, 2012 7:15 pm

Yeah mate that is common to have the cooler hose blow off we have had a fair few do it that come into work! , they aren't done to a correct tension
TUFF TROOP

Postby paddstar69 on Mon May 21, 2012 8:05 pm

thanks for that, might have to check all clamps . thanks again :)
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
paddstar69
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bandit on Sun May 27, 2012 9:53 am

i've just fitted a manual boost controller by passed the crappy vgt solenoid .measured the actuater arm with car running in standard form fitted the manual turbosmart controller set it the same as standard and blocked of the egr.it runs the same boost parameters 25psi under load and it goes well and can pull a1200kg caravan up hill loaded and no problem i've done 780km and all is well.i get better fuel economy because the boost is set and not fluctuating.the only draw back i have found is when the engine is cold in the morning its a bit of a pig but a small sacrifice.ive also been told by my diesel mechanic friend that australian diesel is of low grade and he has had a triton towed in with blown motor used woolworths fuel.so he recomends bp diesel he uses it in his pajero he also agrees there is something wrong with mitsy's ecu software.now we have to prove it..keep you updated on my triton
bandit

Postby Tony on Sun May 27, 2012 10:23 am

Hi Bandit, I think what you have done will be very common once these things get some age on them, Nice and simple. 8-)

Whilst we still have warranty, I'm not sure its a good idea tampering with the electronic over vacuum VGT controller although the MAP sensor outputs should still protect the engine to some extent.

I know of several vehicles with this done and two that have had the VGT removed and a larger waste gated turbos fitted. Nissan in particular. :roll: Fixes the Navarra's.

There are plenty of options down the track as these engines age a bit. 8-)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Sun May 27, 2012 12:08 pm

Here is a bit on the ZD30 with the ever troublesome Garrett GT2052v

http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/Manual%2 ... roller.htm

It is possible to go back to a twin actuator Boost manual set up and even a single linear spring to control the VGT.
After market electronic controllers normally require a canbus signal to work well.

Be assured, a lot of work is being done with the 2.5HP set up. :mrgreen: Just to early to justify releasing any outcomes as would be a very limited need or market ATM.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Sun May 27, 2012 1:40 pm

Tony wrote:Here is a bit on the ZD30 with the ever troublesome Garrett GT2052v

http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/Manual%2 ... roller.htm

It is possible to go back to a twin actuator Boost manual set up and even a single linear spring to control the VGT.
After market electronic controllers normally require a canbus signal to work well.

Be assured, a lot of work is being done with the 2.5HP set up. :mrgreen: Just to early to justify releasing any outcomes as would be a very limited need or market ATM.

Great links Tony. I just fininshed reading through both Charlie & Benny's home pages. Some great projects and well executed modifications.

8-)
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattie182 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:23 pm

Wow, I am getting more confused as the days go on...........
I got rid of my patrol for its known problems, but now seem to have opened another can of worms....

Can i fit a manual boost controller to my triton to fix problems???

Thanks

Matt
mattie182

Postby Tony on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:27 am

Hi mattie 182 and other onlookers.

So long as the vehicle is left absolutely stock this issue is rare but does crop up on a few.

Just my opinions based experiences here for others benefit as I have tuned a few vehicles with the VGT set up.

What normally causes overboost assuming everything is working correctly? Something has possibly changed in the engine management or air flow characteristics between the air box, turbo, IC, manifolds, EGR system, fuelling (this one can be complex) and exhaust. The smallest change in any of these areas does affect overall airflow and overall boost.
The Overboost CEl is triggered by a combination of sustained airflow, high combustion temperatures (Fueling) and MAP sensor voltage threshold (I know what it is as have data logged the offending vehicles)

The common ones I have come across are....
EGR blanking (holed or solid) not enough EGR in effect.
Large bore free flow exhaust systems.
After market free flow air filters and or air box.
( snorkels are ruled out as do not improve air flow).
Now, the main cause with any combination of the above ....... The overall fuelling under full load/boost conditions in some situations, can make the Variable geometry turbo continue to make more boost after correct boost target has been met as the electronic solenoid over vacuum actuator effectively changes the aspect ratio.
The only ways I have found to overcome this issue is to either clamp the MAP sensor voltage at the threshold point (This is very dangerous as the voltage needs to spike into the overboot range for a short time to control the VGT electronic solenoid properly and will render any engine protection as zilch) or take some fuel out of the fuel map curve once maximum load/boost is reached. (Down side here is less maximum power)

What I'm suggesting with out going into science is, the aspect ratio on the 2.5HP variable geometry turbo under full boost is working on a very fine line even if it's in absolute stock trim and therefore it is effected buy top end fuelling. More fuel = more boost till it runs into efficiency limits .

Cheers Tony
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to General Discussion