Exceeding tow rating on a private boat ramp

Anything Triton related

Exceeding tow rating on a private boat ramp

Postby adelaideglxr on Mon May 20, 2024 4:51 pm

Hi everyone,

My car is an MY11 Triton GLX-R 2.5 DiD with 3000kg towing capacity.

I have a shack with a private boat ramp and have just bought a boat which on the trailer, exceeds the 3000kg limit of my triton by 50-100kg.

I would never drive on a public road, but my question is - does anyone have experience exceeding the 3000kg when towing and do you think the car will be okay?

My scenario would be (all on private property)
Attach boat trailer to triton
Drive 200 feet down my front lawn (walking pace)
Launch boat

Then
Put boat back on trailer
Drive up boat ramp
Drive 200 feet up my lawn and put the boat in the shed

The trailer also has electronic brakes and the car has a redarc electronic brake controller - so I am really only worried about whether I would have the power to pull that load out of the water (in low range 4x4?) and not screw up the chassis at the same time.

So really - just wondering if anyone has ever towed over 3000kg with a triton in this sort of scenario? Worst case I will sell the triton and buy a ute with a 3500 capacity but as the Triton is just used for this sort of purpose, I am very hopeful it will be up to the task with care and caution.
adelaideglxr

Re: Exceeding tow rating on a private boat ramp

Postby RHKTriton on Mon May 20, 2024 8:48 pm

I'd say you're within a bee's dick re specs. Simply using you're Trity as a tractor shouldn't be an issue, esp. if it's in good shape.

Probably trying to drag it up Billy Goats Track wouldn't be advised. lol
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby adelaideglxr on Mon May 20, 2024 10:00 pm

Haha that’s what I am thinking.

It’s a one owner car (bought it new at the end of 2010) and it has had an easy life and serviced religiously.

I’ll let you know how I go.

If anyone has any stories of towing something grossly overweight with no issues please let me know - it will make me less anxious lol
adelaideglxr

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue May 21, 2024 8:40 pm

What kills a chassis is not the straight pulling. It's the combination of weight right at the back (whether tow ball down load or stuff in the tub), plus the pounding it all takes off road and momentary but very high loads when going through dips and over things like speed humps in the surface of the road.

Straight pulling won't hurt it at all, unless you did something really stupid like trying to tow a semi trailer and even then you'd probably lose traction before doing any damage.

I used to tow heavy. Up to 4500kg trailer weight, with a 250kg ball load and GCM around 7500kg. Not in a Triton, of course, but I did have low range with centre diff unlocked or locked and could change to high range on the fly, both things you can't do in a Mitsubishi, even with Super Select. It was manual and a V8, so not short of torque but starting off uphill in high range with a full trailer was impossible. Low range no problem but the reduction was double what's in a Triton.

So, problem areas are likely to be:
1. Traction. Depends on the ramp surface and slope, plus your tyres and pressures. Will the grass be wet? MY11 GLX-R should have Super Select but you don't mention whether it's auto or manual. Remember that you'll be facing up the ramp with the load of the boat all on the back and not a lot on the front. You may need to load up the front. You really wanted that steel bullbar, oversized winch and the additional battery, didn't you? Do you have a diff lock? Front/rear/both?

2. Torque. That little 2.5 doesn't have a lot right down low so getting off the mark means some clutch slipping or an auto where the torque converter will feed the power and torque more gradually so you don't have wheelspin. Once you're moving you should be ok, but burning clutches do have a very distinct smell.

It's a lot of guesswork without actually seeing the situation. Best thing I can suggest is to try it. You'll soon know if it's going to work, or not.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby adelaideglxr on Tue May 21, 2024 11:18 pm

Thanks for that - agree with all of your points and I’ll just give it a go. We have a very gentle slope public ramp 1km up the road so worst case I’ll pull it out there.

To put things in perspective I have been using our ramp to tow a 21 foot ski boat out with a 1998 Jeep Wrangler which has a 1200kg towing capacity and it did it with ease, so I am thinking the triton should be alright.

It is automatic and has near new K02 tyres on it. I think in low range it will probably pull it out with ease but as you say, I just need to give it a crack.

I’ll report back!
adelaideglxr

Postby Longranger1 on Sat May 25, 2024 5:39 am

Never had an issue with a 2.75t boat with mine. As Fifth said the real damage occurs on undulating rough roads.

A bit of care and you'll be fine. I'm looking at a 3t boat but this will have 4 wheel disc brakes and a high end Alko electric over hydraulic brake set up. Suspension is upgraded but these vehicles are just a bit light particularly on wet roads. A slippery roundabout without good trailer brakes can make for an unscheduled jackknife... Never experienced it but it is always in the back of my mind.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat May 25, 2024 9:33 am

Yeah, it's surprising that we don't see more jackknife incidents with the uptake of utes towing loads.

Scary enough when not towing with an empty tub and it's starts raining.
Super select is worth every cent.
Helps keep everything well balanced.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MilkmanDan on Sat May 25, 2024 4:01 pm

Don’t overthink it, throw it in low range and enjoy your boating
MilkmanDan

Return to General Discussion