ECU upgrade by MRT

Anything Triton related

Re: ECU upgrade by MRT

Postby sam on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:37 pm

Looking rather good and will be interested to see some manual results :) ;)
sam

Postby CCM on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:49 pm

4wd26 wrote:Chris,
I like the thought of more power, BUT is it posible to move the Torque lower in the rev range. Looks like it could be lower than standard below 2000rpms. Obviously 3rd gear dosn't help (bogging down at the start of the run?).

Also keen to know if your running the standard tyres and if 18.5 boost is standard?

Keep in mind the AUTO and the DYNO don't mix. I can't put my foot 100% down until the torque converter has locked up (at over 2000 RPM) as it will simply kick down and rev out in 2nd instead. The graph is indicative only and doesn't tell the whole story - which is why I need a manual on the dyno to confirm everything and give you guys a graph that does the upgrade justice... Sapient is looking for a some quiet time at work to get his Manual down for that exact reason!

Standard boost for these is around 14.5 psi - Peaking occasionally tp 15 ish so the 18.5 is what I've set mine up to based on the testing I've performed....

General update... I managed another 9.6L / 100kms over 1800 kms from Sydney to Melbourne return trip over the long weekend. I've also spent the greater parts of the last week including all last weekend towing a good load around on the back (Over 2T between the car trailer and Pajero Io :shock: ) and all is 100% spot on what we were expecting so two what you will with this upgdare, no dramas at all :)
I bought a new Turbo Diesel Ute to tow my two toys, now the Ute takes all my time n money! crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap
CCM

Postby Homer on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:51 am

Will there be a possibility of a V6 re-map....that is if any of the lads in Sydney will 'loan' you their car? :roll:

I've contacted your guys in Brisbane when this first came up but it sounds like the car needs to be at head office in Sydney for the testing equipment etc?

I believe there may be a company in Sth Africa doing the same thing...hopefully doing the V6 as well :twisted:

C'mon Sydney siders give the man a V6 to play with :!: Then we'll see some real performance :twisted:

I promise I'll barrack for the [censored] from now on if you do :?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby CCM on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:50 am

Its not looking good for the v6 ufortuantely - I've plugged into one at my friendly dealer and couldn't get 'coms' at all... :?: That is to say thats with the ECUTEK solution we use.

I have heard of products that will comunicate with magna ECU's but not sure if there is any relationship at all there and my expereince is limited... Are the gains people seeing with interceptors fitted consistent ont he V6's? I've seen a couple of graphs where the gains are definately there but I'm curisou has anyone then gone and had them retested or feedback a month or two later??? I ask as most (modern) factory ECU's have long term corrections that can be fooled in the short term for dyno tuning but re adjust over XXX km's ending up with a similar state of tune as factory over the long term...
I bought a new Turbo Diesel Ute to tow my two toys, now the Ute takes all my time n money! crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap
CCM

Postby Homer on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:59 am

Bummer about that :cry:

I haven't re tested, but it is a good and worrying point.
I have the Uni chip and I think I can still feel the power difference - it does become very same, same after having it for so long and getting used to it, but when giving it the berries it revs out harder and the flat spot when changing gears in the auto is still much better than I remember standard (it was a problem from my first drive so I think I should notice it?) - so is the sound.

I am getting the new pistons so in about 3-5,00k's after they are well lapped in I was going to get a re-tune/dyno done again to see if I could get a bit more power. But then it wont be the same engine really so I could expect some difference either way.

I have a switch for the chip so should probably turn it off for a bit to check when I get the car back.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby CCM on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:42 pm

We're officially releasing an MRT 'XA' kit which garuntees a minimum of 25KW @ 3400RPM and 25% more torque @ 2000 RPM...

I am expecting most Did Tritons to reap more than this but we have to pick a number we can stand by and promise and for now thats it! In reality most are likely to be closer to what I've achieved with my own GLXR

I'm hesitant to advertise pricing here as I don't want to break any rules or turn this into a commercial thread, but feel free to PM me or simply bombard me and I will reply publically if you guys think it is suitable.

chris@mrtperformance.com is where you can find me or PM here as I spend more time than the boss knows as it is, hehhe :)
CCM

Postby sierra on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:14 pm

Hi Chris,

How about those of us with the 2.5 diesel?
Do you have to go through the whole performance again to get the map or is it easier now you have done the 3.2?
Can we expect less of a gain because the 2.5 is already punching out more per litre than the 3.2 or is it coming from cams and valves? Have you touched the exhaust on yours to get those gains because the standard offering looks like a Thai afterthought that's begging to at least get a non restrictive replacement muffler slipped in?
sierra

Postby rushN on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:42 am

Can we get a look at a dyno chart for a Manual?
rushN

Postby CCM on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:00 am

Hey RushN, no graph for the manual yet but I'm hoping to get Sapient in ASAP and he can tell you the whole story himself! I've had a struggle with my local dealer as there was a shortage on Did Tritons at Mitsubishi and even though I had the dealer across the line to put a modified ML on the lot new (Let me tune it and test it first), he simply sold them all in the lead up to financial year end.. So If you guys bug Sapient as often as I am maybe he can convince his boss to give him a days break! :D

As for the 2.5L Sierra, we already know how to get the best out fo the ECU and the technology in them while maintaining reliability and safety, it will just need some fuelling refinements for the smaller engine. I'm not sure what we'll get out of them but would expect total to be down on the 3.2L

My exhaust is dead standard - I have had it off and fitted the sensors for backpressure, Lambda and Exhaust temp but performed no changes or modifications to it before it went back on - I wanted to know what these things do in standard form before I do anything else. That is to say a quality dump pipe is next on my developemnt list.... ;)
CCM

Postby sierra on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:57 am

Chris,

I'm in WA. Does that mean I can get mine modified now or is there more development needed to the fueling?
Any idea of cost? I'm sure it wont offend protocol to mention that, others mention prices on a regular basis.
Did you measure the backpressure caused by the muffler?
sierra

Postby sierra on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Forgot to mention that the power difference between the 2.5 and 3.2 isn't much of a problem because the cab chassis 4 x 2 is 300kg - 500kg lighter than most of the 3.2 models so the performance would be the same if it was 20% down on power. Traction is a problem already but I can live with that.
sierra

Postby daryn on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:38 pm

sierra wrote:Chris,

I'm in WA. Does that mean I can get mine modified now or is there more development needed to the fueling?
Any idea of cost? I'm sure it wont offend protocol to mention that, others mention prices on a regular basis.
Did you measure the backpressure caused by the muffler?

Hi Chris, I would suggest contacting either Subi or Buzzy for protocol on publishing pricing as there are commercial forum sponsors and even they themself have to follow certain rules.

Buzzy will probably be the first to reply as he takes great pride in beating Subi at any mod work :)
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi Daryn,

I was thinking of posters like 'Monster Triton' from Thailand that openly deal on this forum. That made me wonder why Chris was hesitant to mention prices?
sierra

Postby daryn on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:02 pm

No prob Sierra, but Monster is a Forum Sponsor under Common Rail Centre who should only post in that area I think, I am sure he gets pulled up whenever needed
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:26 pm

Thanks Daryn,

So to follow forum protocol I should switch to the forum that Chris has and discuss prices there.
Will do.
sierra

Postby Storm Trooper on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:17 am

Homer i have already offered my V6 for testing when this thread initially started! i am still here if required, Chris just needs to say when i will be there.... i am only done the road, 10min away.
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Postby rushN on Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:21 pm

A snip from the latest MRT newsletter, which I'm sure Chris and Brett (MRT) won't mind me posting :) I'm going to book my Triton in for the ECU upgrade in the next month or so :D

MITSUBISHI TRITON AND MITSUBISHI PAJERO 3.2 DID
This month has been all about testing, testing, testing! Affectionately referred to as Project Canyonero (Yes we watch far too much Simpsons!), the MRT Project Triton has been driven more and harder than we though the thing could be! We’ve towed more than we should have, driven faster than its suppose to and generally put it through hell to make sure the release of the XA kit is everything our clients will expect.
For those of you haven’t seen our updates on the forum and to recap for those who have – EcuTeK is now available for a number of common rail Turbo Diesel applications such as the Mitsubishi Triton! In January this year, Chris from MRT handed the keys to his much tortured WRX over to his friendly dealer and drove home happy in a new GLXR Triton DiD. As brand new things do it was a good thing straight form the floor with the factory 4 speed auto doing all the work, keeping the Common Rail Diesel on the boil and putting around town more than acceptably…. Then we upgraded the ECU and started tinkering!
The factory mill spits out around 120 KW, to put this to the test we bolted it up to the MRT Dynapack hub dyno resulting in 100 KW even and 315NM of torque… Sounds about right! 3200kms of highway and mountain driving and countless hours of dyno testing has resulted in over 30KW gain at the wheels almost everywhere from 2000 RPM to redline – With absolutely no mechanical changes or modification. The 30% increase in low end and midrange torque goes along way to putting a smile on your face in pretty much any driving situation and makes short work of any hill or towing. We are also seeing 1.5L/100km+ improvements in fuel economy even though Canyonero is being driving like we stole it.
We pinched the MOTEC Data Logging Dash from Brett’s rally car while he wasn’t looking (we promise it will get put back) and spent over a week wiring in a number of external sensors to monitor everything from exhaust and oil temps to intercooler pressure drop and Exhaust backpressure to make sure everything we do is reliable and safe for the long haul. The Dash records over 6 hours of the latest engine operation meaning we can do long hard trips over the mountains and back before plugging in and dumping all the data to check and analyse.
As an indication of how far we go when testing, he has also spent the last week and a bit driving around all over the place with a car trailer and rally car on the back of the Triton (2500kg worth) to test towing capacity and reliability under said conditions with the modifications to date.
All this testing has resulted in the release of MRTs first XA Power up kit for a 4WD! Call for more information on our triple guarantee and you could be some of the first through the door that will benefit from free dyno time at no additional cost – saving you hundreds! $$$ We’ve also developed a front swaybar upgrade to flatten out cornering and improve feel both on AND off road whether in 2WD or 4WD – So if you’re looking for a way to tie down your Triton without the compromise of firmer springs, give us a call!
What’s on for Next Month? The testing to date is suggesting the factory dump pipe off the very small factory turbo is now starting to hold things back, so off it comes in search for more grunt in the typical safe and reliable MRT way… Stay tuned or feel free to shoot me an email anytime if we can help with any further info.
We are now tuning customers vehicles with similar results – for further information including pricing please contact the workshop on 02 9767 4545 and we’ll be happy to assist.
rushN

Postby CCM on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:02 am

Hi Sierra (and anyone interested), Generally any new combination has two small delays.

1. I (or one of our guys) needs to physically plug into your Triton and make sure we have communications - We either will striaght away and all will be good or will need to email the UK and will have access within 48 hours.

2. A new combination outside what we've seen to date will simply need custom tuning (as apposed to slight revisions to my map), no ongoing delays.

As for pricing etc, and ss the guys have stated, there are forum rules which I totally respect and don't want to upset anyone at all! There are paying advertisers and contributors who have the right to post this way and pro actively advertise and I appreciate the boundaries to protect their rights as such..

As always, Im totoally happy to answer any (other) queries at all I can help with, :D

Kind Regards
Chris
CCM

Postby Stu on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:06 pm

so if you pm'd me the price, I could discuss it freely on the forum ;)
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby CCM on Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:52 am

Stu wrote:so if you pm'd me the price, I could discuss it freely on the forum ;)

PM Sent!

On a seperate note - Is it just me that is cursed?! I've washed my car now and chamoised (excuse the sprelling) it twice (yesterday and lst night) and its still raining here in Sdyney>?!?!? crap crap crap crap crap crap crap!
CCM

Postby Eelesy on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:40 am

I think that phenomenon happens worldwide.
If you want it to rain. wash ur car
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Sapient on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Howdy Lads,

Long time no post! Looks like the cops have given up chasing me so I can come out of hiding now ;)

Just wanted to bump this and also let you know that I am booked in to be dyno'ed next week, so shortly there after MRT should have some graphs they can share with you all.

What I can tell you know is that the old spec map I am using is still going like a train! Heaps of torque and much less diesel rattle and smoke than ever before, so I am busting to get Chris's new map in and give it a go. Also looks like there is more development to be done yet, which I was swapping notes with Chris about, so as they become available and I fit them I will happily post up about.

And just so we are all clear.....I paid for my ECU upgrade, I have no allegiance to MRT, and even though Chris is a good bloke, I will tell it exactly how it is, of that you can be certain!

As soon as I get the updated map in I will be heading bush for a few days, which will give me a good chance to test/play and I will report back everything.....hold on to your hats boys!!!!!
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sim_r32 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:49 pm

im keen for one of these upgrades does anyone tune them in melbourne?

those dump pipes also sound good on my last turbo car the dump/front pipe made a HUGE difference... :lol:
sim_r32

Postby sam on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:52 pm

Sapient wrote:Howdy Lads,

Long time no post! Looks like the cops have given up chasing me so I can come out of hiding now ;)

Just wanted to bump this and also let you know that I am booked in to be dyno'ed next week, so shortly there after MRT should have some graphs they can share with you all.

What I can tell you know is that the old spec map I am using is still going like a train! Heaps of torque and much less diesel rattle and smoke than ever before, so I am busting to get Chris's new map in and give it a go. Also looks like there is more development to be done yet, which I was swapping notes with Chris about, so as they become available and I fit them I will happily post up about.

And just so we are all clear.....I paid for my ECU upgrade, I have no allegiance to MRT, and even though Chris is a good bloke, I will tell it exactly how it is, of that you can be certain!

As soon as I get the updated map in I will be heading bush for a few days, which will give me a good chance to test/play and I will report back everything.....hold on to your hats boys!!!!!

Anymore news on this Sapient as am very keen to know the results for the manual plus fuel economy :?: :?:
sam

Postby Sapient on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:41 am

Sorry sam......been out of the loop (crook as a dog) and missed my slot at MRT, talking to Chris now about when I can get back over there....shouldn't be too long now.
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion