Can't find it? Ask here FIRST, before you start a new thread

Anything Triton related

Re: Can't find it? Ask here FIRST, before you start a new th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:49 am

meataxe wrote:Hi Guys,

First of all this is a great forum, I have been lurking here for a couple of years since I bought my 2013 MN.

Recently I have moved from Perth to Sydney (Drove :) ) and I am looking for any recommendations for a mechanic. I would like to find an independent for the mid services (52250 atm) and a dealer for the major services. I have used the search feature and have found Zetland City Mistubishi as a recommended dealer but not much information from the last year or so.

Apologies in advance as I am sure this is a frequently asked question, I thought I would post here in order to get up to the minute info :)

Thanks

Meataxe.

It has been a while since I've had a dealer service there. I found they were safe enough mechanically speaking, in that they never stuffed anything up, but their customer service and their willingness to go the extra mile on warranty stuff was pretty ordinary.

I would stay away from Suttons at Arncliffe. They straight out lied to me.

Beyond that it depends where you are located in Sydney. I think there might have been a decent one out near castle hill or pennant hills somewhere but you'd have to wait for others to chime in there. Or search on castle and pennant and see what turns up?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:06 pm

Heartlands at Castle Hill have been OK to deal with and seem relatively technically competent.

They tried to really sting me on a service price and i queried it and they dropped it a bit.

If someone can recommend a great licenced mechanic somewhere in the Castle Hill to Blacktown area i would drop Mits like a hot rock (just on stupid service pricing alone).
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rokster on Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:56 pm

There was a bunch that I used back when I was living in Castle Hill.. can't remember their name but I'll try my best with directions.. They are in the Castle Hill trading zone - off of Victoria Ave. I think it was 8 Victoria Ave - drive all the way to the back - you'd have a Pack'nSend on your left, Abbey Archery on your right further down. Their workshop was all the way at the back - you'd basically drive right into the workshop if you keep going. Neatest workshop I've ever seen - they went above and beyond fixing up an old 80 series I had, sourcing and adapting parts from other models as was needed.. even waived some labour charges when things were really crap on my side.. Can't recommend them enough, wish I can find someone similar in Perth..
rokster
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:18 pm

rokster wrote:There was a bunch that I used back when I was living in Castle Hill.. can't remember their name but I'll try my best with directions.. They are in the Castle Hill trading zone - off of Victoria Ave. I think it was 8 Victoria Ave - drive all the way to the back - you'd have a Pack'nSend on your left, Abbey Archery on your right further down. Their workshop was all the way at the back - you'd basically drive right into the workshop if you keep going. Neatest workshop I've ever seen - they went above and beyond fixing up an old 80 series I had, sourcing and adapting parts from other models as was needed.. even waived some labour charges when things were really crap on my side.. Can't recommend them enough, wish I can find someone similar in Perth..

Does this sound like them?

http://castlehillcarandtruckmechanicalrepairs.com.au/contact/

Cowboy Dave

Postby sydneymark on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:58 pm

kcdusk wrote:Guys, quick one.

Can this bar (ARB deluxe bar) take a winch?

Click to view larger pictureIMG_0789 by kcpics73, on Flickr

it can, as i describe in a thread somewhere, however it might need a bit of work with an angle grinder :)
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kcdusk on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:18 am

Jivometric wrote:Hi, been searching for a bit now and can't seem to find an answer that fits. Happy to be wrong....
I just picked up a late 11 MN GLX and am really liking it. It is an auto and my query is if it is normal in this vehicle for the transmission casing where the drivers left leg rests to get fairly warm to hot pretty quick? Seems to stabilise but definitely producing some heat there.

Ta, Troy

I have a 2008 ML. Auto. Does the same thing. I don't normally notice it around town, but noticeable on the highway.

While i don't know what it is or if its a concern, i've towed across the simpson and not had any worries.
kcdusk

Postby snowman on Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:28 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:
rokster wrote:There was a bunch that I used back when I was living in Castle Hill.. can't remember their name but I'll try my best with directions.. They are in the Castle Hill trading zone - off of Victoria Ave. I think it was 8 Victoria Ave - drive all the way to the back - you'd have a Pack'nSend on your left, Abbey Archery on your right further down. Their workshop was all the way at the back - you'd basically drive right into the workshop if you keep going. Neatest workshop I've ever seen - they went above and beyond fixing up an old 80 series I had, sourcing and adapting parts from other models as was needed.. even waived some labour charges when things were really crap on my side.. Can't recommend them enough, wish I can find someone similar in Perth..

AKA Zec's Automotive?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:59 am

feckinirish wrote:Adding LED lights to the interior of my canopy.

I have an LED light in my canopy which as most do, has three settings. Off/On/Door Open.

What I want to do is place some LED strips internally around the canopy and also on the inside of the outward opening windows so that they shine light unto the ground when opened at night. I have a 2nd battery already installed at the back of my single drawer so I wanted my LED strips wired to that. What I also wanted to do was to have the switch on the existing LED light turn off/on the new LED strips. I was thinking a cable from the existing light to a relay that was placed between the LED strips and the 2nd battery could be a way to do that.

Is this a good idea?
Which cable would I connect to given that the middle connector in the image below was always live regardless of the position of the switch.

Click to view larger picture

The existing LED light is wired to the main battery.

mate the pic didn't show up so it is a bit hard to help
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby feckinirish on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:53 am

Shows up fine when I look at it. Not sure what's happening your end.

4wd26 wrote:
feckinirish wrote:Adding LED lights to the interior of my canopy.

I have an LED light in my canopy which as most do, has three settings. Off/On/Door Open.

What I want to do is place some LED strips internally around the canopy and also on the inside of the outward opening windows so that they shine light unto the ground when opened at night. I have a 2nd battery already installed at the back of my single drawer so I wanted my LED strips wired to that. What I also wanted to do was to have the switch on the existing LED light turn off/on the new LED strips. I was thinking a cable from the existing light to a relay that was placed between the LED strips and the 2nd battery could be a way to do that.

Is this a good idea?
Which cable would I connect to given that the middle connector in the image below was always live regardless of the position of the switch.

The existing LED light is wired to the main battery.

mate the pic didn't show up so it is a bit hard to help
feckinirish

Postby rokster on Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:01 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:

Yes !!! ZEC Automotive ! Got it..
rokster
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dustywheels on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:11 pm

I've done a quick search and found nothing, but I'm looking to replace Oem PB Challenger side steps with Triton Alloy type Side Steps.

anyone hear of this being done before or can point me at a relevant thread
Are we there yet
dustywheels

Postby explorer.dave on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:27 pm

dustywheels wrote:I've done a quick search and found nothing, but I'm looking to replace Oem PB Challenger side steps with Triton Alloy type Side Steps.

anyone hear of this being done before or can point me at a relevant thread

Personally l wouldn't bother, the alloy steps are for show purposes at best, and will buckle at the mere sight of an obstacle, much better money spent (if you can afford it) are sliders with step plate, just my 2cents worth.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dustywheels on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:45 pm

Not really an issue for me, vehicle is used for around town and long distance touring.

I quite like the Oem ones, except the infill section seems to get a rust like appearance, regardless of what I wash or treat it with.
Are we there yet
dustywheels

Postby red dragin on Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:10 pm

Jivometric wrote:Hi, been searching for a bit now and can't seem to find an answer that fits. Happy to be wrong....
I just picked up a late 11 MN GLX and am really liking it. It is an auto and my query is if it is normal in this vehicle for the transmission casing where the drivers left leg rests to get fairly warm to hot pretty quick? Seems to stabilise but definitely producing some heat there.

Ta, Troy

Notice the warmth in a manual too - certainly not enough to burn but probably enough to keep your leg warm in winter. Probably just transfered heat from the exhaust?
2015 MN Triton Dual Cab 4x4 GLX

The wife is always complaining about it being too long.
They need to make bigger car parks :D
red dragin

Postby seanlush on Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:09 am

I'm sure this has been asked before but I am getting told mixed messages on whether my 2010 MN Triton needs a DC to DC charger or if the alternator is good enough to charge a second battery in the tub. I wanted to get away with a VSR only. Is there a simple answer or a way to test? :idea:
seanlush

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:37 am

A charger will do a better job of it, especially if the second battery is of a different type to the primary eg AGM

Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:46 am

If you are using an AGM battery then they benefit from a DC-DC charger as they require a slightly higher charger voltage then the alternator can provide to fully charge them
If you are using a typical wet cell battery, maintainable, non maintainable, calcium etc then a VSR is fine.

I get about 4 years from a wet cell battery with a VSR. Never had a problem.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tasc4life on Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:38 am

seanlush wrote:I'm sure this has been asked before but I am getting told mixed messages on whether my 2010 MN Triton needs a DC to DC charger or if the alternator is good enough to charge a second battery in the tub. I wanted to get away with a VSR only. Is there a simple answer or a way to test? :idea:

I found this link which seems to sum up all questions I had. Has heaps of info in it about dc-dc charging. It's a lot to read but I got heaps out of it! Hope it helps
http://outbackjoe.com/macho-divertissem ... inverters/
Tasc4life

Postby rokster on Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:44 pm

Apologies for this rather 'noob' question, but it was raised over the weekend, and two rather experienced off-roaders had opposing views - so open to everyone to comment.

Does it increase your vehicle's 'wading depth' / 'crossing depth' when you add a snorkel ? ie. Can you cross deeper water successfully ? And for this to be successful.. do you have to add diff breather extensions as well ?

Is the answer to this different for petrol and diesel vehicles ?

Thanks !
rokster
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rokster on Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:53 pm

Second question..

Was digging around under my driver's seat, and found the following two leads ending there.. no idea what they are to be used for.. anyone got any ideas ?

2009 GLX-R V6 model by the way

rokster
Platinum Subscriber

Postby cjsxrt on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:21 pm

rokster wrote:Apologies for this rather 'noob' question, but it was raised over the weekend, and two rather experienced off-roaders had opposing views - so open to everyone to comment.

Does it increase your vehicle's 'wading depth' / 'crossing depth' when you add a snorkel ? ie. Can you cross deeper water successfully ? And for this to be successful.. do you have to add diff breather extensions as well ?

Thanks !

I've got a v6 aswell I got a snorkel on only because where the standard intake is I got some water in it a while back which stalled the engine since having it on I've had no dramas
cjsxrt

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:12 pm

rokster wrote:Second question..

Was digging around under my driver's seat, and found the following two leads ending there.. no idea what they are to be used for.. anyone got any ideas ?

2009 GLX-R V6 model by the way

Is your vehicle second hand?
Look like the plugs used for headrest DVD players?
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby Joel on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:14 pm

From my understanding it will increase wading depth but you still need to maintain a bow wake to help avoid water ingress. Breathers extenstons for the diff and gearbox are a good idea if water crossing regardless of if you have a snorkel or not.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby rokster on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:15 pm

4wd26 wrote:Is your vehicle second hand?
Look like the plugs used for headrest DVD players?

Yes it is ( second hand ) .. interesting.. but the head unit isn't DVD compatible.. I'll go dig some more on the weekend.
rokster
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:18 pm

rokster wrote:Apologies for this rather 'noob' question, but it was raised over the weekend, and two rather experienced off-roaders had opposing views - so open to everyone to comment.

Thanks !

It won't change the manufactures recommendations- 600mm is around the height of the ecu in the passenger footwell

What it does do is enable you to not stall get water in intake (petrol or diesel) so you may be able to go beyond manufacture recommendations. Everything is a risk however, you go beyond the height and it doesn't end well?

Snorkel and diff/ gear breathers are to protect the mechanicals if you go beyond- they don't automatically increase the ability of the vehicle
Getting Out There
4wd26

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion