New Triton is great...but the seats are terrible

Anything Triton related

Re: New Triton is great...but the seats are terrible

Postby fun510 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:31 pm

Got holiday coming up in two weeks. Driving from Newcastle to Mackay and back, plus some exploring around the Mackay region. Expecting to crack close to 5000km return trip.

This inspired me to pull my finger out and grab a set of Did3.2 spacers. I must say that I need a good kicken for not doing this sooner! The seat angle is so much better. :D

One this I will brag about is that I was smart enough to order two sets! Other wise once the missus tried these..... I would be in the passenger seat for the rest of the trip :lol:

Would higly recomend!
fun510

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:35 pm

Did the same thing. I would have been in trouble if i hadn't done the passenger side as well. Makes all the difference on a long trip. :D
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby paddstar69 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:21 am

Thanks did 3.2
Fitted both sets of spacers up yesterday. What a difference to the comfort level of the front seats. :shock:
Looking forward to driving down to Duea National Park next week and not getting a sore arse :) . I think my passenger will also be thankful.
Any triton drivers that are not happy with the comfort level of their front seats may benefit with a set of spacers.
* Tip * I removed the drivers seat and filed out both rear holes to allow more room for bolts, only had to do it to 25mm seat spacer on drivers seat, passengers seat was ok with 20mm spacers, dont forget to disconnect air bag wiring if fitted.
Thanks again did 3.2 :)
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
paddstar69
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bowdes13 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:17 pm

Paddstar when you reconnected the Airbag did the light go off the dash or did yo have too disconnect the battery?
Bowdes13

Postby paddstar69 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:23 pm

No light came on. I did the job with the key off so assuming the system was not powered on, I think codes only log when systems are running.
paddstar69
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:44 pm

paddstar69 wrote:* Tip * I removed the drivers seat and filed out both rear holes to allow more room for bolts, only had to do it to 25mm seat spacer on drivers seat, passengers seat was ok with 20mm spacers, dont forget to disconnect air bag wiring if fitted.
Thanks again did 3.2 :)

Paddstar. i would not recommend doing this.

these spacers fit if you undo the rear bolts to about 80% and then lift the whole seat simultaneously as you lower onto the front spacers. Filing the rear mounts will weaken them and is not required from my experience.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby paddstar69 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Snowman
i understand what your saying but the rear hole was 1/4 hole out and i didnt want to drive the thread on the bolt down past the mounting bracket and add more stress to the seat runners, i think that a damaged thread would be more an issue than a filed out mounting hole. Yes i did undo the rear bolts as per the instruction sheet that was included, but there was no way that the bolt holes were going to line up there wasnt a lot of filing only enough to relieve the bolt, maybe being mass produced vehicles all bolt holes and brackets welded and aligned dont always line up so maybe my truck is a little different to most - not sure :? - i'll remove what i suggested if there is a genuine concern on a safety level, i wouldn't want to advise people on doing the wrong thing. cheers for your input :)
paddstar69
Platinum Subscriber

Postby toby_w88 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:29 pm

I found my driver seat really difficult to fit the spacers to, probably wasted about 30mins trying to get them to fit but in the end completely undid the rear bolts, then put them back in one or two turns and they finally went in. The passenger ones went on in less then 10mins...

I drive with a lumbar pillow in my work truck so think I might look into one of those for the triton, tho these did make a difference in giving more support to my legs
toby_w88

Postby paddstar69 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:19 pm

As we all know when modifying cars or anything for that matter, away from manufactured specs that no two jobs end up the same. My intentions are not to take away from the great idea and job did3.2 has done with the improvement in seat comfort - which in my opinion should be done at the factory but just an over view of my experience.
Highly recommend seat spacers if your not happy with front seat comfort. :)
paddstar69
Platinum Subscriber

Postby burnah on Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:30 pm

My LH drivers seat hole was also at least 1/4 out. At first sight I was sure I was never going to be able to fit the spacers. I backed off the rear bolts until they were just about to come out and then lifted the whole seat up as per Snowman's post. Works a treat. I'm sure there is variance with mass production, but there will also be set tolerances for that variance. I reckon if the holes were that far out that you couldn't fit the spacers they would be too close for the seat to be fitted properly in the factory.
Love that spacer!
burnah
Platinum Subscriber

Postby did3.2 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:22 am

Just letting anyone who may be interested in a set of these spacers, I will be away for the next 2 weeks. 8-)
So I may not be able to be reached. ;)
You can still pm me but you may not (depending on internet access) get a response till I get home. :?

I will be giving the Triton salute to as many as possible on the way up the pacific hwy and back the newell so hope to get a few returns. :lol:
Family, Friends and Four Wheel Drives!
did3.2

Postby drover on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:58 pm

I read with intrest about the holes being out by a 1/4 hole. I noticed when I done mine the mounting rails will move independently when three of the bolts are undone, a bit of left / right movement. One slot on the rail will put it out of alignment by about 10mm from memory. Ensure both rails are fully forward or back when mounting the spacers. I am not saying this is the problem, just something to checkout before cutting or filing :idea:
drover

Postby boatpc on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:05 pm

Ok so i read someone say seat spacers (did3.2) which triggered my must do list.
Pm sent
boatpc

Postby 1ZERO5 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:19 pm

I'm up for anything to make the seats more comfy, I've already taken the 3/4 bench out and replaced it with a bucket and the missus thought that was tops. now I learn of seat spacers for even more comfort!? I must have these.
1ZERØ5
1ZERO5

Postby burnah on Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:03 pm

1ZERO5 wrote:I'm up for anything to make the seats more comfy, I've already taken the 3/4 bench out and replaced it with a bucket and the missus thought that was tops. now I learn of seat spacers for even more comfort!? I must have these.

Yep! They are an essential mod for all creatures of leisure.
You won't be disappointed mate.
8-)
burnah
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:06 pm

On the standard front seats on my MN the difference made by the spacers is amazing. You now sit 'in' the seats instead of on them - more supportive. Well worth it.

As an aside, I drove a nice new Challenger the other day and my missus and I found the leather seats nowhere as good as our Triton with the seat spacer mod. Same problem in that vehicle as well it seems.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby irwazza on Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:16 am

Hey guys.
Any chance you know what thread size the studs are? Gonna have a crack at making some of these if we have the right tap at work.

Regards
Brenton
irwazza

Postby Edd on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:55 pm

Hi DiD3.2 are you still doing the seat risers and if so how can I buy some. :D
Edd

Postby Sky Miner on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:36 pm

Luv to get some sports seats in the MN "ALL 4 OF EM" :D could you imagine nice sporties all round especially
in the back with a nice center consol in the middil 8-) ahhh~~ wavey music~~wavey music~~wavey music
The Board of Directors (wife) would frown apond a decision like that, $6000 is alot to part with :shock: i think its going to remain on the wishlist (damn) ;)
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby boatpc on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:55 pm

Fitted up my seat spacers today,
First thought was they're a quality item :D
Now my fitting experiance:-
Was a pita getting the drivers left on, ended up completely undoing the rear left side and aligning the spacers then lastly redoing the rear bolt.
I followed the destructions to the letter but couldn't get that left side to align :? Was about 4mm out.
Anyway all's good now that they're fitted.
My opinion after the install is:-
Wish i'd done this 64k ago.
They actually make the seat feel comfortable when your legs are supported.
Big thanks to did3.2 for the spacers 8-)
And to the others for the recommendations :D
boatpc

Postby burnah on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:18 pm

Nice one mate!
I reckon everyone who fits a set wishes they'd done it sooner.
=D
burnah
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Edd on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:08 pm

Well I got my spaces Monday from did3.2. Installed them today being Cup Day in Melbourne and I only got 1 set for my side (driver). The minister of war and finances did not want any. Wow, what a differnce they are like new seats. Should have put them in 93,000km ago. Highly recommend them so you should get youself a set. :D
Edd

Postby Sapient on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:41 am

Fitted the seat extenders yesterday, haven't had a chance to do a long road test, but the drive to the shops and back test seemed to indicate its a great step up from the couple of washers I had packed under the seats about three years ago.

Thanks did3.2, top job! :D

Can I suggest to the mods that this thread (or a new shorter, to the point version of it) gets added to the Forum directory thread? Took me ages to find who was actually making the damned spacers I kept hearing about :?
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby trickydevil on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:15 am

Are these mods legal. I know they're pretty specific when it comes to seats in vehicles and changing them.
trickydevil

Postby irwazza on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Has anyone fitted the 25mm spacers to the passenger side of a single cab? If so how did you make it so the seat locks into position?
irwazza

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion