New MN Price paid?

Anything Triton related

Re: New MN Price paid?

Postby snowman on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:33 am

micv wrote:I just went to Toowong Mitsubishi in Brisbane to have a problem on my Triton checked out and while I was waiting I noticed they had just sold a brand new 2013 GLXR for under 34k drive away, which is $2000 less than what I paid for my second hand 2010 GLXR with 32k on the clock less than a year ago. I feel sick. Anyone else feeling this way?

Mitsubishi unfortunately does not do much to protect it's owners on the used car market. Unlike Toyota for example who almost never heavily discount their new vehicles which maintains a second hand car price.

So i guess if you paid full price for a Triton this would be very disappointing.

In my opinion if you dont keep your cars long a Triton may not be for you especially if you 'turn over' your car every 3 or 4 years for work. I know people who do this with Hilux's and get reasonable resale. That said you are financing almost twice the cash for a lux.

As a private buyer if you can purchase a Triton at a time like this and keep it for some time it is very good buying.

It is an interesting question to ask i guess but in my opinion if you can AVERAGE less than $4000 /yr in depreciation on a car purchase then you are probably doing OK.

i know of a bloke who recently bought a Discovery (with accessories) had it for three years and traded it on a Prado and it cost him over 12k / year in depreciation. :shock: :shock: :o
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DoubleD on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:00 am

Yeah very true Snowman, I was looking at a brand new Triton 12mths ago & decided to
go second hand as the prices were over 50k.
DoubleD

Postby Geoff3DMN on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:59 am

micv wrote:<SNIP>I noticed they had just sold a brand new 2013 GLXR for under 34k drive away, which is $2000 less than what I paid for my second hand 2010 GLXR with 32k on the clock less than a year ago. I feel sick.<SNIP>

I wouldn't be surprised if this dip in new prices is temporary. The Aussie dollar has already dipped more than 10 cents with more to go and will probably end up in the mid 80's which will force new prices back up leading to at least some recovery in second hand prices down the track.
Geoff3DMN
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Honky on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:44 am

I have a Company car that is a white GLX-R with Luxury pack with lots of goodies that was bought 9 months ago. I was going to buy it when the lease ended but as I currrently have over 46,000 ks it may not be a worthwhile proposition.
As I consider the Tritons a good allround vehicle I thought of the idea to replace two private vehicles with a new triton while the prices are so good.
Made enquiries at Lancaster Motors which was listed on carsales.com.au on a previous post in this thread.
I was not going to go for a GXL-R but they have a White GXL-R with luxury pack ( includes diff lock ) drive away for $38,000. The Misses would not let me get it as it is a little bit over budget. This is quite a bit cheaper than what the company paid for my car 9 months ago.
If anyone is interested ask for Tom?
Note no affiliation.

Honky
Honky

Postby Tony on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:51 am

Wandered into the Mudgee dealership yesterday, almost signed up a white 2013 GLX-R for 35k drive away with floor mats thrown in. :lol:

I don't need a new truck :oops: Makes my late 09 MN look verrrrry expensive in its day. :roll:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dbgalaxy5 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:47 am

snowman wrote:
Note: 2013 BUILT GLX-R triton's all come standard with the diff lock but no nudge bar.

Hi all,

Newbie owner of a bog standard (no extra's) White GLX-R MN MY13. $35K on the nose.

Could have saved a few hundred after expenses if I travelled, but I felt for the difference it was as well to have the local dealer onside.

Anyway, just wanted to confirm that there is no diff lock on my car (not that I think I would have needed it, but always nice to have a little more than you need... so perhaps a tiny bit jealous that some have this thrown in).

Was also a little bit disappointed there was no nudge bar, given an article on Mitsy Australia's own site, entitled "MITSUBISHI’S 2013 TRITON LINE-UP OFFERS VALUE AND PERFORMANCE" that includes the following (emphasis added)..

"The top of the range Triton GLX-R 4x4 Double Cab is packed with features including 17-inch alloy wheels, nudge bar, fog lamps and unique side steps. For 13MY the GLX-R receives automatic folding side mirrors, new seat fabric and improved front seats."

What is more, I wrote to Mitsubishi Australia enquiring about this but 2 weeks later and I still have no response.

Anyway, Im happy with the little truck.. especially as it replaces an old 80's single cab Triton (and like others I was only aiming for a GLX, but the current prices for the GLX-R were somewhat irresistible).

Whilst I am here, may I ask you one question (which I appreciate is out of context of the thread)..Whilst I am not entirely ignorant of the workings of various traction systems, what I do not understand is how there can be a system that supposedly works to increase traction in off road situations by limiting power to slipping wheels, when it seems from actual consumer reports that this will only be satisfactorily achieved by the aforementioned (and variably optional) diff lock?

Appreciate your insights.

.. nonetheless, I am a happy chappy
Insert witty remark > <
dbgalaxy5

Postby snowman on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:37 pm

dbgalaxy5 wrote:
snowman wrote:
Note: 2013 BUILT GLX-R triton's all come standard with the diff lock but no nudge bar.

Hi all,

Newbie owner of a bog standard (no extra's) White GLX-R MN MY13. $35K on the nose.

Could have saved a few hundred after expenses if I travelled, but I felt for the difference it was as well to have the local dealer onside.

Anyway, just wanted to confirm that there is no diff lock on my car (not that I think I would have needed it, but always nice to have a little more than you need... so perhaps a tiny bit jealous that some have this thrown in).

Was also a little bit disappointed there was no nudge bar, given an article on Mitsy Australia's own site, entitled "MITSUBISHI’S 2013 TRITON LINE-UP OFFERS VALUE AND PERFORMANCE" that includes the following (emphasis added)..

"The top of the range Triton GLX-R 4x4 Double Cab is packed with features including 17-inch alloy wheels, nudge bar, fog lamps and unique side steps. For 13MY the GLX-R receives automatic folding side mirrors, new seat fabric and improved front seats."

What is more, I wrote to Mitsubishi Australia enquiring about this but 2 weeks later and I still have no response.

Anyway, Im happy with the little truck.. especially as it replaces an old 80's single cab Triton (and like others I was only aiming for a GLX, but the current prices for the GLX-R were somewhat irresistible).

Whilst I am here, may I ask you one question (which I appreciate is out of context of the thread)..Whilst I am not entirely ignorant of the workings of various traction systems, what I do not understand is how there can be a system that supposedly works to increase traction in off road situations by limiting power to slipping wheels, when it seems from actual consumer reports that this will only be satisfactorily achieved by the aforementioned (and variably optional) diff lock?

Appreciate your insights.

.. nonetheless, I am a happy chappy

mate firstly i am sure some people will direct you to various traction control and diff lock threads. You cant beat DL's for traction.

It seems that the advice i was given about 2013 built MN's was specific to the dealer i purchased from. Multiple people have responded to me that the 2013 does not come with DL standard.

My apologies for any miscommunication.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lachiem on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Luxury pack adds the Diff lock, when I was looking it was $3k add on.
I've been looking for about 6 months, and just signed for a GLX Manual, I couldnt justify the extra $5000 over and above, especially with the amount of after market mods and kit that $5000 can buy.
Geoff is right as well, Aussie doller is already dropped near 10 cents from when I first looked, its only a matter of time before the price will adjust, even with the arrival of a new model next year.
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby snowman on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:55 pm

lachiem wrote:Luxury pack adds the Diff lock, when I was looking it was $3k add on.
I've been looking for about 6 months, and just signed for a GLX Manual, I couldnt justify the extra $5000 over and above, especially with the amount of after market mods and kit that $5000 can buy.
Geoff is right as well, Aussie doller is already dropped near 10 cents from when I first looked, its only a matter of time before the price will adjust, even with the arrival of a new model next year.

i just had dealer confirm the diff lock. It is definitely on it. But no luxury pack or other.

i dare say they placed a large order "all with diff locks" for GLX-R and no nudge bars for the 2013 build.

so in a nutshell i got a MN MY13 2013 build with diff lock for $35,059 drive away including GST.

Not sure if they have any left but that was Heartland Mits at Castle Hill, NSW
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX58 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:34 pm

Newby member. Lurked for awhile and got some help here so thought I'd post up my purchase price to maybe help last minute hagglers. I should be clear though the below is purchasing through a network (lease).

White GLX Double Cab Manual with run out extras plus:

Tilt window canopy
towbar
carpet mats
tint
tub liner
roof racks

33,400 drive away

Excited and just waiting for the keys now!
GLX58

Postby dbgalaxy5 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:22 pm

lachiem wrote:Luxury pack adds the Diff lock, when I was looking it was $3k add on.

I think the amount of usable / practical extras for the 5K is great value at the moment. Still, I guess it depends what you want. To be honest, if we were anaysing our purchase one could 'almost' say that we went from GLX to GL-R because of the carpet, and from GL-R to GLX-R because of the power rear window. This is not entirely the case, but not a million miles from the truth.
Insert witty remark > <
dbgalaxy5

Postby justasparkie on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:58 pm

Pick up my silver GLX friday morning. Got it on road for 30k even didn't get any extras as i'm going to fit a flush fit soft tonneau myself (at $550 for mitsu to put on an old loop style i thought they were pushing it) and also an arb rear bar. I was especially happy with this because they gave me 24,500 for a 6 and a half year old sr5 manual hilux with 130k on the clock in average condition (full service history, fair few knocks and scrapes). Not expecting this kind of resale on the triton but with the issue that i've had to deal with on the lux in the last 6mths i dont care.
justasparkie

Postby nouveau on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:09 pm

2013 GLXR 4x4 Double cab in white
Price paid was $41,000 neat drive away.

Extra options fitted by dealer:
ARB deluxe bull bar
Tub liner
Trade canopy (sliding windows)
Towbar
Rear diff lock
Rubber mats
Window tint (front)
Full tank of diesel
nouveau

Postby tasblue on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:02 pm

You guys sure have done some fantastic dealing...picked my new MY13 'May' GLX-R up last week. Extras I payed for included nudge bar, Lightforce driving lights, reversing camera, headlight and bonnet protectors, tub liner, flush fit tonneau cover, mats,and weather shield. Also payed the extra for the auto , $3000, but did get the rear diff lock for no extra...all up $44,000 drive away...nowhere near as good a deal as many here but I'm very happy and my boss ( misses) is happy. Going to be mostly a tourer so wont be a lot more mods done..( I suppose thats what they all say :D )...cheers.
tasblue

Postby micv on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:05 am

snowman,
I agree. I was just thinking that about the Hilux today i.e. it doesn't have a higher price because it is physically "better", it has a higher price because its value is protected by Toyota because:
- they don't dump cheap new stock on the market that devalues used stock
- they perhaps don't radically change the style between models that would otherwise devalue previous models (which is why the Hilux still looks like a drab box?)

They are probably dumping cheap Triton stock on the market because there is a new model just around the corner and the looks of the current model will soon (next year?) be dated and demand will drop right off. Similarly it has occurred to me that the precious few second hand accessories available on the market (bull bars, canopies, power chips etc) for the current model Triton will soon become plentiful as people liquidate their old cars and both new and used accessory prices will drop right off. I can already see that has been the case with hard lids, which were scarse and expensive a year ago but are now seen more frequently for sale and much cheaper.

This is an expensive way to learn the fundamentals of micro economics.
micv

Postby Geoff3DMN on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:31 am

micv wrote:This is an expensive way to learn the fundamentals of micro economics.

I almost always buy cars and utes when they're about to be superseded, if people can learn to vehicle shop that way then it's actually a good thing and reduces total cost of ownership.

Now all I have to do is convince my better half that this is the best way to buy cars :lol:
Geoff3DMN
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brent1 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:25 am

I've actually thought I noticed the opposite with hard lids - when I first became a member people were nearly giving them away when they put a canopy on because they came standard. Now they seem quite hard to get?
Brent1

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:20 am

Yeah because they were standard on the ML but a costly extra on the MN.

The current pricing is more about competing with other manufacturers that have new models. Once there is a new model triton the price will be back up with the others.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby dbgalaxy5 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:58 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Yeah because they were standard on the ML but a costly extra on the MN.

The current pricing is more about competing with other manufacturers that have new models. Once there is a new model triton the price will be back up with the others.

This was my way of thinking too.

I am interested to see what happens after the current deal is over. I know there is always some deal or other, but the current one (and the one I have taken advantage of) seems fantastic. Of course, without wishing to be selfish, I am hoping I hit the sweet spot, but I have half a feeling similar prices will be available one way or another until the new model.

Our local dealer, however, assured me that the new model will be postponed and not introduced next year. Im not sure what that was based on. I half think he was just trying to provide some sort of 'comfort factor' regarding the product I purchased, but that would make little sense, as I had already paid them, and was - so I thought - fully aware that the new model was due.

Long term, however, when the new model does arrive, and assuming it is priced more in line with other more current machinery, it could have the effect of firming up the used prices for a while. Not that the missus will allow me to sell the new GLXR during this lifetime anyway :shock:
Insert witty remark > <
dbgalaxy5

Postby snowman on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:03 pm

i dont think they will go up much while in an end of model era. When they do release a new model it will be arguably market leading and you will pay a price premium, a bit like the Ranger now.

That said the $AU may impact although i am not sure if MMAL import using the Yen or Thai $'s :? :? The aussie $ is currently still strong with the Yen but dropping with most other currencies.

Don't ever buy a Mits for resale. :cry: :cry: Love that car while you own it and f**king hate it when you are trying to sell it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

as Geek says, see them as disposable. Drive it for 10 years and pop it in the bin on your way back to the dealer. :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops:
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dbgalaxy5 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:48 pm

snowman wrote:
as Geek says, see them as disposable. Drive it for 10 years and pop it in the bin on your way back to the dealer.

Well my new Triton replaces one 30 years old, so I think it provided its moneys worth (not that I had it from new)
Insert witty remark > <
dbgalaxy5

Postby Spotty on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:05 pm

I know it's late but I payed $33000 1 year ago, it has the 5/10 warranty and agree with the others on here that it is a good deal. I plan on keeping mine for a long time! Why wouldn't you with a 10 year drivetrain warranty ! At the time glx-r's were still in the 40's so 33 was great but 29990 drive away would have been sweet, leaves plenty of room for mods :D
Spotty

Postby snowman on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:26 pm

dbgalaxy5 wrote:
snowman wrote:
as Geek says, see them as disposable. Drive it for 10 years and pop it in the bin on your way back to the dealer.

Well my new Triton replaces one 30 years old, so I think it provided its moneys worth (not that I had it from new)

they dont make em like the MK's anymore. :cry: :cry:

Spotty wrote:I know it's late but I payed $33000 1 year ago, it has the 5/10 warranty and agree with the others on here that it is a good deal. I plan on keeping mine for a long time! Why wouldn't you with a 10 year drivetrain warranty ! At the time glx-r's were still in the 40's so 33 was great but 29990 drive away would have been sweet, leaves plenty of room for mods :D

no 10 year drive train warranty anymore mate, so count your lucky stars there if you got it, even if a couple of extra bucks for it. ;) 8-)
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dbgalaxy5 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:19 pm

Spotty wrote:I know it's late but I payed $33000 1 year ago, it has the 5/10 warranty and agree with the others on here that it is a good deal. I plan on keeping mine for a long time! Why wouldn't you with a 10 year drivetrain warranty ! At the time glx-r's were still in the 40's so 33 was great but 29990 drive away would have been sweet, leaves plenty of room for mods :D

$33K for a GLX-R. :shock: thats still a FANTASTIC deal compared to today's deals. I don't think anyone's got $29990 on a GLX-R here.... or at least not that I have noticed... If they have - good luck to them - but I'd rather not hear about it for a while, as it would somewhat crush my sense of self satisfaction re: the deal I got.
Insert witty remark > <
dbgalaxy5

Postby Spotty on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:24 pm

dbgalaxy5 wrote:

$33K for a GLX-R. :shock: thats still a FANTASTIC deal compared to today's deals. I don't think anyone's got $29990 on a GLX-R here.... or at least not that I have noticed... If they have - good luck to them - but I'd rather not hear about it for a while, as it would somewhat crush my sense of self satisfaction re: the deal I got.
Sorry should have mentioned, it is a glx, glx r's were still in the 40000 category. not complaining though, it was still a bargain
Spotty

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion