water leakage everywhere?

Anything Triton related

Re: water leakage everywhere?

Postby s13tsilvia on Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:37 am

for me it was the driver side glass next to the slider in the rear window, but i guess it could be either side or the slider itself....

i also have a canopy and they didnt have to remove it to fix the issue.

have you pulled all the trim away from the back windows? i am talking roof liner as well where the window is.

you need to hose it for a fair while as well..
s13tsilvia

Postby shaman42au on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:45 am

Hi,
I had a 2011 GLXR and I noticed wet rear right carpets about 2 years later.

Stealer said it was my after market accessories had not been installed correctly, and it was leaking at front and flowing to the rear. (Funny, carpet was not wet in front!*&^*^).
All carpets removed and dried, stealer charges me $400 to do this.

6 months later, wet carpets in rear, another day at stealers, they cannot find leak. I park my car in driveway, with slight slope, so front is higher than rear, and car slopes down let to right.

So one day in heavy rain, I jump in the back of car, remove all interior rear panels, and look for water. Lo and behold, running out of vents below rear window is a small trickle of water, collecting at rear, then flows down to seat belt anchor point, then down to floor well if I drive my car onto level road.

With photographic evidence I return to stealer, and they have the car for a week. removed my canopy, rear window and weld something! I asked for new carpets, which MMC supplied.

Had to take my car back for another 2 days to get carpets replaced. It has to go back again next week, because they did not put all my trim back in and rear window trim is hanging loose, and they did not test all my appliances in tub (interior light, reversing camera). Where is the pride in your work?

So after the Melbourne summer, the musty smell in my car is finally dissipating. I have repaired other electricals that stealer messed up.

Nice brand new carpet!
shaman42au

Postby snowman on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:43 pm

s13tsilvia wrote:for me it was the driver side glass next to the slider in the rear window, but i guess it could be either side or the slider itself....

i also have a canopy and they didnt have to remove it to fix the issue.

have you pulled all the trim away from the back windows? i am talking roof liner as well where the window is.

you need to hose it for a fair while as well..

no i haven't done that bit yet. will have to get to it on the weekend i guess.

Thanks for the reply.

for the moment i am driving around with a drivers seat only. Rally anyone..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:57 pm

Time to dynamat the whole floor and order a tailored carpet in some flash colour - red would go nicely.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:13 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Time to dynamat the whole floor and order a tailored carpet in some flash colour - red would go nicely.

i cant believe how loud it is without the rear seat and trim :shock: :shock:

Definitely worth Dynamatting i think. it's on the list. :lol: :roll:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:40 pm

So i just spent yesterday arvo in the back of the car and hosing the roof.

The rear side (fixed) windows seem fine. :|

What we found out is the rear (sliding) window has a seal at the bottom (just like on your car door) and it has opened up with probably a 2 mm gap. So ALL the water cascading down the rear window runs straight into the rear winder compartment.

I don't mean a few drops. The hose (only just turned on) caused a waterfall of water in the winding motor area. :o :o :shock: :shock:

I have a price to replace the seal for $100 ASSUMING it can be replaced without removing the canopy. ($75 supply $25 fit).

The panel beater is not convinced it is the problem and to be honest i probably am not either but you can't test it the way it is without water cascading in to see if it is coming in anywhere else. The base of the compartment has four large weep holes and there is no doubt this area is meant to get some water in it (just like your car door) but the holes were clear and not obstructed so i am just hoping the quantity of water is causing it to flow into the cabin.

So i will see if they can replace on Thursday and see how we go next weekend. If this isn't the cause i am buggered if i know what it is. :? :?
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SeanoTri on Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:59 pm

I found water drivers side and pass footwells. Yet to find the passengers but think it's the ac unit.

Drivers was up past the acc pedal in the corner the PO had 2 lots of wiring coiming into the cab with no grommets :( so I spit 2 to fill the holes then siliconned them up . Fingers crossed

Now just to work out the air bag light on the dash... Think that's a trip to mitsi
SeanoTri

Postby coughy on Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:32 pm

how did you go snowman did it fix the leaky??? :? :?
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:18 pm

I believe he did, it stopped raining. :lol:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:35 pm

hahahahaha
there is always one
lol i walked into that one tony :lol:
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:10 am

I reckon he should use one of these
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:46 am

coughy wrote:how did you go snowman did it fix the leaky??? :? :?

not yet. i am still awaiting the part to be delivered to the smash repairer or they just haven't rung me back yet. i better call them. :roll:

i did look at my mates MN the others day (he doesn't have a canopy) and there is no gap between his seal strip and the glass - so it is encouraging as to the chances of fixing it - hopefully with the canopy on.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:34 pm

lol i like the install not dave
2 tek screws :shock:

oh ok snow cool just thought i would ask m8 hope it fixes it for you
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:20 pm

OK so for me this issue involved what looked like two problems.

The rear sliding window weather strip had gone hard and retracted from the window surface (outside of car). This inundated the internal compartment (where the winder assembly is) and (i wish i had of looked closer before i ripped it off) was coming in through the sealing plastic. The new seal (part number MI-MN146097 - Moulding-RR-window) has significantly reduced the ingress. However, you MUST maintain the plastic sheet on the inside of the car and make sure it is perfectly sealed along its entire perimeter.

I had this replaced and the special black silicone stuff (i didn't install it my panel beater did - so insert correct name here :lol: ) was installed so that it directs the water down to the lower weep holes. You can actually see it working perfectly when you hose the car. That said the amount of water coming in is hugely less.

Remember this compartment is made to take water and there are drain holes at the bottom both INSIDE and OUTSIDE (you can see them if you look down and through the large holes into this area.

The fixed windows. :evil: OK so these glass pains are installed with about 6 bolts in some form of rubber trim. These get screwed to the cabin and from factory they have a foam piece that sandwiches in. I reckon it is this foam that fails with age. I now have the grey (non drying) sealant (don't use urethane or you wont get the windows out again!). The first repair still leaked and upon close inspection there is a small edge at the top of each side where the roof rail channel is. This area needed slightly more attention with the sealant as it was letting in a drip a minute under heavy hose.

No more leaks.

I hope this helps someone looking at it themselves.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brucewoodworker on Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:31 pm

I bought a second hand ML dual cab Triton some 12 months ago and suffered the same water leakage problems....water pooling around the driver's side foot well. Did all the searches suggested here on the forum to isolate the leak, but to no avail (I should add that mine is a run of the mill "poverty pack" with a fixed rear window).
Took it down the road to the local panel beater. He got a small ladder, got on it, took the weather strips off the roof of the car....and there was the problem! The roof of the Triton is in three parts glued/sealed together by something that resembles sixaflex. The glue/sealer had gone hard, brittle and had cracked between the three roof pieces. He took out the old sealant and replaced it...no problems now and that work was done about 6 months ago now. The down side was that it cost me a $100.
brucewoodworker

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:58 pm

$100 is a good price for that amount of work though, surely?

Cowboy Dave

Postby brucewoodworker on Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:21 pm

No, not really complaining about the price, but when I read most of the posts in this thread, I thought I might have been up for some serious coin.. :shock:
brucewoodworker

Previous

Return to General Discussion