Scangauge options or anything better

Anything Triton related

Re: Scangauge options or anything better

Postby jrs184 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:31 pm

just don't waste your money on the Turbo Gauge, (cheap knockoff of the Scangauge, even has same case) it is not compatible with Mitsubishi, or all of OBD 2 diagnostics...
jrs184

Postby 1 Nathan on Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:37 am

Is anyone running the scan gauge e type they are a bit cheaper
1 Nathan

Postby JeepChallenger on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:32 am

I am running Torque on my android phone with a Bluetooth thingy in the OBD port. Cost me 25 bucks all up including the Bluetooth thingy. Scans for codes, clears the codes and gives me a lot of readout....
Last edited by JeepChallenger on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeepChallenger

Postby JeepChallenger on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:35 am

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
JeepChallenger

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:23 am

1 Nathan wrote:Is anyone running the scan gauge e type they are a bit cheaper

I've only seen the one and it was crap. Doesn't display anywhere near as much stuff as the others.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Holstein on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:47 pm

Just pulled the pin on one of these.

http://ultra-gauge.com/ZC/index.php?mai ... ucts_id=56

Now the wait till it arrives.
Holstein

Postby Disco Emu on Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:57 am

Just bought an Ultra Gauge EM-Plus.
Wish I'd done it when the Aussie dollar was better ... about $140au delivered.
Disco Emu

Postby 1 Nathan on Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:35 pm

I orders mine on Saturday $ 180 dam FedEx chargers
1 Nathan

Postby Disco Emu on Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:38 pm

1 Nathan wrote:I orders mine on Saturday $ 180 dam FedEx chargers

Mine was a "returned" one. All checked, with full warranty and $20US cheaper. #winning
Disco Emu

Postby 1 Nathan on Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:29 pm

Did you boys get a email saying that you have to open up a FedEx account or they can charge you for customs :/
1 Nathan

Postby Disco Emu on Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:26 pm

1 Nathan wrote:Did you boys get a email saying that you have to open up a FedEx account or they can charge you for customs :/

Nope ... an email from who?
Customs can't charge you because it's worth less than $1000 and FedEx can't charge you anymore because there are no customs fees.
Sounds like a scam.
Disco Emu

Postby FreestyleCab on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:35 am

Disclaimer: I work for a company that imports the ScanGauge product line (and are not forum sponsors) so I hope I don't fall foul of the moderators.

The plugin OBD2 devices like the ScanGauge and other competing devices have the advantage of automatically starting up when the vehicle starts. If you are interested in accurately monitoring fuel consumption, the ScanGauge type products are the best bet. The company I work for also were agents for the Kiwiwifi OBD2 wifi dongle for a while, but we found out that for the purpose of fuel consumption monitoring the Bluetooth/wifi dongles and phone/tablet apps were painful to use as you have to remember to start the app when you start the car. The automated monitoring of the ScanGauge type products only requires attention at fuel fill up time.

The ScangaugeE is a device made for a price point. We would sell ten time as many ScanGaugeIIs as we do the "E" as the ability to add X-Gauges like vehicle specific ATF temperature gauges is the major advantage of the SGII.

If accurate and easy fuel consumption monitoring is a must, the ScanGauge type products are the best bet and of course I'm going to say that the ScanGaugeII is the best option!

For displaying more vehicle diagnostic information with a customisable interface the phone / tablet apps have the edge.

Brett
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby OffRoadDave on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:03 am

FreestyleCab wrote:
If accurate and easy fuel consumption monitoring is a must, the ScanGauge type products are the best bet and of course I'm going to say that the ScanGaugeII is the best option!

Brett

If only the Scangauge was good enough that you didn't have to enter the fuel used every time, I was hoping that once calibrated you would no longer need to enter fuel used and it would work it out itself from injection quantities but after about 20 fills mine was still hopelessly inaccurate. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I was forever bouncing either side of what it thought was right with the calibration that in the end I just gave up on it.

Now I just plug my kms and fuel used into an app on my phone and see what my usage is after the fact, and this way I have an ongoing record of fuel usage and am able to see trends in fuel usage which is more useful than instantaneous usage to my mind.
OffRoadDave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:12 am

The trick with the SGII and fuel calibration is to insert a misleading figure to train it first. Basically you choose a figure that is half of the difference. So if it guesses you added 40 litres but you filled with 60, you enter 50. Next time it guesses say 50 and you did 60 again, you enter 55. After 3 or 4 goes its guess will be within a litre or two if all else stays equal. It's still a pain going through the process but I suspect part of that is entering the price each fill too, which they need for some of the other calculations.

Now that I've installed a genuine Mitsubishi RV meter and seen how inaccurate it is most of the time I am less surprised that the OBD devices haven't perfected it yet.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Snooozy on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:29 pm

if you run a chip then you cannot use the fuel consumption in the scangauge - stuffs with the calibration.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:44 pm

Can't really blame the scangauge for that.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Snooozy on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:04 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Can't really blame the scangauge for that.

no, but if you are not aware of it you will chase the calibration all over the place
I know that from experience :roll: :lol:
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Scangauge options or anything better

Postby Disco Emu on Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:24 pm

Disco Emu wrote:Just bought an Ultra Gauge EM-Plus.
Wish I'd done it when the Aussie dollar was better ... about $140au delivered.

Arrived today.
Pretty quick delivery from the U.S ... 5 Days!
Now to read the instructions
Disco Emu

Postby 1 Nathan on Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:59 pm

Got my ultra gauge today
Any one have a link on a ml 3.2 set up guide for the temps and stuff
1 Nathan

Postby leonbee on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:53 pm

NO WAY would I be putting one of those cheap china android dongles in my on board computer. Think about it. your hooking your truck up to the world wide web. Might get hacked. :lol:

Not to mention the privacy issue. Google Googling your calls and everywhere you go. :o
leonbee

Postby Nerdy on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:09 am

leonbee wrote:NO WAY would I be putting one of those cheap china android dongles in my on board computer. Think about it. your hooking your truck up to the world wide web. Might get hacked. :lol:

Not to mention the privacy issue. Google Googling your calls and everywhere you go. :o

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not?
Nerdy

Postby explorer.dave on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:15 am

Nerdy wrote:
leonbee wrote:NO WAY would I be putting one of those cheap china android dongles in my on board computer. Think about it. your hooking your truck up to the world wide web. Might get hacked. :lol:

It's an ECU diagnostic tool, not a modem. l would be more concerned about the multi-media players with internet browsing than a Scangauge.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:12 am

explorer.dave wrote:
Nerdy wrote:

It's an ECU diagnostic tool, not a modem. l would be more concerned about the multi-media players with internet browsing than a Scangauge.

Specially if you were a "septic" who had just bought yourself a 'spensive shiny new model Jeep over there in "Yanker-Land" after this weeks news stories about the 'hackers' who managed to take full control of them and then caused them to crash, courtesy of access to their onboard ECU system, provided to them via their inbuilt multi-media players with internet browsing.... ;) :D :lol:
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby explorer.dave on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:19 pm

Specially if you were a "septic" who had just bought yourself a 'spensive shiny new model Jeep over there in "Yanker-Land" after this weeks news stories about the 'hackers' who managed to take full control of them and then caused them to crash, courtesy of access to their onboard ECU system, provided to them via their inbuilt [color=#FF0000][i]multi-media players with internet browsing

Technology experts have expressed concerns for some time now about the advancing technology in vehicles and the ability and threat from hackers, l wonder how long it will be before we have vehicle specific anti-virus software suites :?
Any way...back on subject.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby explorer.dave on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:52 am

Just ordered the Ultragauge, with all the talk on the forum about engine over heating issues thought I should have a reliable monitor (and not rely on the useless temp gauge).
Not a great time to buy at present with the dollar as it is, purchase price with vertical mount and fedex shipping came to $129 AUD :(

EDIT: actually it came to $105.95 USD :D

explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion