THE canopy thread - see them all here

Anything Triton related

Re: THE canopy thread - see them all here

Postby mirkoculic on Tue May 19, 2015 6:47 pm

Hi all,

I have had a look at blueys canopy in hoppers crossing, Melbourne. Has anybody owned one of these and do they know if they perform to a good standard. The canopy comes with two lift up windows front window folds down. They want about 3k fitted and colour coded.

Thanks in advance

Mick.
mirkoculic

Postby Tyler on Thu May 21, 2015 8:01 am

Hi guys,
This thread was useful to me when I joined the forum after purchasing my new MN Triton so thought I would share the results of my recent canopy purchase.
I went with a Caddy canopy and I'm happy with the finish. I was advised up front that colour is coded and not matched so knew it would be slightly different which it is but close enough to not be obvious. Install was pretty good also. To early to tell on quality but looks like it's well made.
I will mention one thing to look out for, Caddy's website states that central locking is available in the GSE-S. I purchased the GSE-S (again was told it came with central locking) and it most certainly does not. The canopy key has an unlock/lock button which locks/unlocks the canopy only. The vehicles central locking remains independent. Really should be marketed as keyless entry to canopy.

Does anyone find they need to occasionally tighten canopy bolts? Do you use torque wrench or just go by feel?
Tyler

Postby tacticaltriton on Thu May 21, 2015 8:12 am

I'm going to build a frame for my tub, and go with a PVC canopy. All easily removeable and with a minimum of drilling into the tub. In fact I'm even considering a setup that drops into the tub, sits in it snugly and is held in with either turnbuckles or tie downs. Had PVC on my old truck and it lasts well and doesn't stain like canvas and cannot go mouldy or crusty. The canopy on my old truck got used once or twice a year, so no point building the Eiffel tower.... :lol:
tacticaltriton

Postby deermaster on Thu May 21, 2015 10:08 am

tacticaltriton wrote:I'm going to build a frame for my tub, and go with a PVC canopy. All easily removeable and with a minimum of drilling into the tub. In fact I'm even considering a setup that drops into the tub, sits in it snugly and is held in with either turnbuckles or tie downs. Had PVC on my old truck and it lasts well and doesn't stain like canvas and cannot go mouldy or crusty. The canopy on my old truck got used once or twice a year, so no point building the Eiffel tower.... :lol:

Show us all when its finished mate. Might give some others more ideas. I love my canopy and hate it all at same time. Lots of times I just love it as no worries about getting pulled up with loose gear in the back and its sooo handy to fit a heap of stuff in for long trips and also its lockable. But then other times I wish I just had the old canopy I used to have that I could take out of the back and put my quad bike in there and save towing a trailer. Oh well I still love my Triton just the way it is nearly most of the time. :D
deermaster

Postby Pete_79 on Mon May 25, 2015 5:43 pm

Well it turns out the new Felxiglass X-over canopy leaks, and pretty badly too.

As best I can see the pointed corners on the top of the side window don't make a good seal.
The water runs along the top of the window and makes it's way inside right at the top back corner of the window in this pic.

Pete_79 wrote:Click to view larger picture

The water runs down the carpet inside and wicks out to the back corner nearly to the rear window.
After one afternoon of rain the carpet lining on the back corner of the canopy was soaking wet from the top corner of the window all the way to the tray and in the morning it was still dripping into the nice big puddle in the tray.
Pete_79

Postby lowfly on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:32 pm

Posted elsewhere here.
Click to view larger picture
lowfly

Postby tacticaltriton on Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:37 am

That's a beauty mate, that PVC material is way better than canvas IMO, looks good for years, no mould, doesn't stain, etc.
tacticaltriton

Postby lowfly on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:10 am

tacticaltriton wrote:That's a beauty mate, that PVC material is way better than canvas IMO, looks good for years, no mould, doesn't stain, etc.

Thanks mate, looking at getting walls and floor made up of same material for the awning, she's nearly ready for trip next month.
lowfly

Postby destorman on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:15 am

lowfly wrote:Posted elsewhere here.

The whole rig just looks EXTREMELY practical now. :mrgreen:
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby lowfly on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:36 am

Cheers destorman, next up will be bulbar, long range tank and solar panels on canopy.
lowfly

Postby az_triton on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:25 pm

Hey Guys. I'm looking into a canopy for my MN. I want something that will be able to support a roof top tent.

I really like the look of the Alpha, and the EKO. But unfortunately these aren't strong enough to support the tent.

Apart from the ARB Unit, with internal support frame, do I have any other option??
az_triton

Postby Emigna on Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:56 am

Hi guys,

Your forum was of great assistance when I was shopping for my Triton last week.

I purchased a 2015 model new with a factory canopy, and received it a couple of days ago.

Mostly I am happy however there is an issue with my canopy, that it appears to be leaking an oily film from the side windows. I have attempted to clean it with car wash however it will not budge. I am worried it could affect the paint.

I have no doubt the dealer will sort it out next week, but has anyone else experienced this problem with factory canopies?

Emigna

Postby Airved on Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:30 am

Yes take it back to them. It could be the lube they put on the rubber to help the glass slide.
Airved

Postby Pete_79 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:01 am

I finally got my leaking Flexiglass canopy fixed.

The dealer tried his best to avoid me, as expected. But after a week or so of getting a phone call at 9am every morning asking when it would be fixed he finally gave me a contact at Flexiglass and I could deal direct.

The guys at Flexiglass where pretty good.
They hosed it down agreed that it leaked and said the windows hadn't been seated properly.
When he showed me it was obvious, the top of the window in the driver's side sat out about 10mm more then the passengers side.

The solution?
Sikaflex, obviously.......

They just pumped both sides full of Sikaflex and called it done.

Well it doesn't leak anymore, so I guess that's a good thing.

FYI,
While I was waiting for the Sikaflex repair I asked the girl behind the counter about a sliding window to replace the drop down one in the front of the canopy (so I can use the back window into the cab easier).
Apparently all Flexiglass canopies are now made in Thailand and there's a 14 week wait on a new front window.
Pete_79

Postby peterg on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:00 pm

I Have just bought an MN with factory fit canopy. A couple of questions:- How easy is it to switch the latch on the front sliding windows so I can reach from inside the cab, and does anyone know if there is a mesh that can be fitted to the side windows to stop greedy hands when the side sliding windows are open. I want to fit flyscreens as well but that will involve velcro. I went to local ARB and they said their protective mesh/grill will only fit their canopies. Trouble is as well, they order everything in so you cannot just see if it fits :x
peterg
Platinum Subscriber

Postby peterg on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:05 pm

Hey Aj1249 - I am in Bungendore (25 K out of Canberra) and also struggle with the foggy canopy rear window. I have just ordered a stick on rear demister and am going to wire that in with a switch. This morning was a shocker -4 and even the mirrors started to fog up.
peterg
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kxboss on Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:27 pm

b when in bush
don't want gaps around tailgate etc.
sliding drivers side window lift up pass
kxboss

Postby Disco Emu on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:14 pm

Just fitted an EKO canopy from Trek4x4. Very happy with the build quality, fit, looks and price!
Disco Emu

Postby kxboss on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:18 am

Nice canopy where did you get and how much?

could you post or send me pics of the tail gate fitting, some ive seen are very sloppy.
I am looking for a canopy and bulbar

thanks mate
kxboss

Postby ivo on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:49 pm

Hi all any one know where i could get the rear glass for the mitsy canopy around Sydney area rang mitsy but they don't have any and we'll take 6 weeks to get one here hoping to source one quick as possible .cheers ivo
ivo

Postby Smellypaddler on Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:37 pm

I keep seeing lots of prices floating around the net for the razorback canopies. Has anyone had one fitted recently that wants to share how much it cost or anyone have recommendations for a distributor/fitter in Melbourne?
Smellypaddler

Postby alian on Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:18 am

Some you might want to keep in mind when buying a canopy is what is the back door/glass worth to replace. I have heard of some shocking prices to the point that it is cheaper to replace the whole canopy than replacing the door.I am pretty sure that some of the dearer ones (ARB TJM)are way more reasonable for parts. Just putting it out there!!
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby az_triton on Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:45 pm

Just put a deposit on a used ARB canopy, with the internal support.
Anywhere I can find a figment guide? Or are they fairly straight forward to bolt down?

It needs a coat of paint to change colour, but can't wait to get it on!
az_triton

Postby kwikfab on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:20 pm

Adam ace wrote:Hi guys I realy like my 'original' canopy no problems to date.
Adam ace wrote:How, this for ugly (but practical and cheap)Click to view larger picture,Click to view larger picture,Click to view larger picture,Click to view larger picture,Click to view larger picture,Click to view larger picture

I love this.... only in Australia :)
well done for finding a solution mate (although not sure it will catch on)
kwikfab

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion