Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheating?

Anything Triton related

Re: Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheat

Postby kxboss on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:13 pm

shouldn t go much above 95 degrees mines been replaced twice for overheat
kxboss

Postby Crash486 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:20 pm

Bit worried the temp gauge is almost in the red but scanguage says 91C

crash486
Crash486

Postby BillMcQuade on Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:53 am

I see up to 94* when climbing big hills.

The dash gauge is ECU driven, but IMHO, it's nothing but a fashion accessory. The needle on mine gets up to half way and never moves, despite what the Scanguage says.

However, I'd still be uncomfortable with it sitting up there in the red, even if the ECU thinks the temp is 91*, so it would be worth getting it looked at under warranty.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bigjobs on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:13 am

What Bill said pretty much :-)

Only time my dash gauge ever moved was when it was in full melt-down mode and then it only moved at about the same time as the CEL came up... useless.

By that stage I was well aware of the problem though, because I was monitoring the temps via the OBD port and Torque on my phone.

The temp was at about 125°c when the dash gauge finally moved and it had been running at about 110-115°c for over 2 hours at that stage :-)

Your situation seems to be the opposite to the general order of things, but definitely get it checked out.
bigjobs

Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheating?

Postby Crash486 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:51 am

Thanks guys. Calling dealer today. Will update later if I know anything useful.

Edit: First dealer said "take it elsewhere"
Second dealer can't look at it till end of July.
Crash486

Postby baito on Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:24 am

Seriously ? Take it elsewhere. What a dick....I'd be inclined to say dodgy gauge but yea never know I guess
baito

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:32 am

Crash486 wrote:Edit: First dealer said "take it elsewhere"
Second dealer can't look at it till end of July.

I just looked those excuses up in the dealer handbook, it's code for "we are scared to go near it".
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Harddrive on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:07 am

My sons mn recently had the engine replaced by Mitsubishi. Temp climbed to just under red on the gauge and engine warning light came on, coolant was coming out of overflow on header tank. Once the engine had cooled we topped up coolant and started engine with radiator cap off. As the engine started to warm up small bubbles would appear in the coolant and gradually increased. Had the vehicle towed to local Mitsubishi dealer. Two weeks later new engine fitted.
Harddrive

Postby Crash486 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:40 am

So still trying to get a dealer to look at it. In the mean time local mechanic will have a look. I'm thinking there is an issue with the ECU temp sender for starters. Check out the graph from torque pro. Temp plunges from operating temp 40 odd degrees! So maybe temperature gauge is correct and ECU has an issue which means I may not get an engine light fault!Click to view larger picture

crash486
Crash486

Postby bigjobs on Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Have a look for signs of coolant leakage in the engine bay, especially around the overflow bottle.

Also check the level is not above the high mark.
bigjobs

Postby Crash486 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:19 pm

Well it appears it is just a faulty temperature sender. No exhaust gases present in cooling system. Woo hoo!

crash486
Crash486

Postby coot69 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:01 am

Monaro03 wrote:
Monaro03 wrote:Hi there
In my case my motor has not been touched. Im about to do the 100,000 km timing belt replacement. Been running it in 40 degree heat and has not missed a beat.

cheers
Monaro03

Hi guys
Adding to this. I have had timing belt done and motor running fine. I did double check and it had the recall done back in 2014. I am the second owner. I did have a Mitsubishi dealer do a check up on the history of the car. All reports have been positive and all services done. At this point I am quite happy, however I still have this in the back of my mind. I have now done nearly 105,000 km and it is running fine.
My 2011 Triton now has 195000kms and has overheated twice in the last 2 months took it to dealer as it had an eng light on they did a combustion test in the radiator and found combustion gas they now tell me it is going to cost me $11000 for new motor which they can't source. I am just wondering if anyone has had the head of and machined and if it solved the problem as I cant really afford a new eng and if it because of the rough finish on the head surface this should solve it I would think
coot69

Postby shortSteve on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:13 am

I believe its block surface?

sS
shortSteve

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:14 am

coot69 wrote:My 2011 Triton now has 195000kms and has overheated twice in the last 2 months took it to dealer as it had an eng light on they did a combustion test in the radiator and found combustion gas they now tell me it is going to cost me $11000 for new motor which they can't source. I am just wondering if anyone has had the head of and machined and if it solved the problem as I cant really afford a new eng and if it because of the rough finish on the head surface this should solve it I would think

If you read the various threads some have had engine replacements out of warranty (provided services are up to date)

Also from threads machining may not be enough the block needs to be O ringed which can be done with block in engine bay.
Last edited by L200Shogun on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L200Shogun

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Sorry to hear that. Some others have had motors replaced out of warranty while a few have had pro-rata deals done. Either way your position should be that it is a manufacturing fault and they should wear the responsibility for replacement. Note that Aust. Consumer Law overrides warranty in many cases, this arguably, being one.

Dig your heels in, politely, and keep insisting.

As far as I know, there is no simple fix for these. Certainly if there was MMAL would not have been replacing motors.

The inability to source is another problem altogether. Wonder if they'd come at a heavily discounted MQ?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby bigjobs on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:55 pm

Oh dear.

Would it even be worth spending $11k to fix it?

Coot, did you have the overheating service campaign done? If so, records would show it passed then, yeah?

If the service history is in order, then I'd be calling Mitsubishi first and see what they have to say.

Then as was suggested, dispute the situation and lodge a claim against MMAL through fair trading.
bigjobs

Postby explorer.dave on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:20 pm

As above X 2, it is a known fault from factory, well documented by MMAL and others, stand your ground and politely insist that it is a MMAL issue, not yours. Good luck with it all.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:34 pm

195k is not much for a diesel so that shouldn't be significant.

Diesels are not good heaters so should not be victims of heat stress related issues.

There is a history of dodgy product and you shouldn't be wearing it.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Monaro03 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi all

I have now done 112000km and all is okay. I just drove to and back from Melbourne. The car did not miss a beat and I did push it. I have a friend who has a GLX Triton MN. His has done 110000km and he has just had the problem pop up. He did change the radiator and thermostat but it did not fix the problem. He is now battling with Mitsi on the issue.
Monaro03

Postby Triton14 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:06 pm

It might have already been mentioned but my 2013 MY14 had a.recall to do with the cooling system.
Cant.remember exactly what it was but hope they sorted it!
Triton14

Postby Triton14 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:44 am

Actually I just recalled it was something to do with a sensor that was replaced.
It would cause overheating & also the pressure would push the coolant out of the reservoir and then the engine/radiator water, potentially cooking the engine
Triton14

Postby 1103cc on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:09 pm

My engine just blow up on Saturday 26/08/17 engine light and temp came on and went hot about 5 seconds before boom water everywhere ,engine stoped ,blow top hose off radiator ,waited to cool down got water to fill up cranked engine no compression ,engine stuffed ,now waiting on Mitsubishi
2013 mn
1103cc

Postby Joel on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Thats not good news. Had the recall been done? At least its still inside warranty period so there should be no attempt by mitsi to decline to fix it.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby 1103cc on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:07 pm

Yes mate all up to scratch ,services ,recalls all done ,I had it back just before Christmas blowing water out of overflow bottle ,but dealer didn't find a problem ,said all good ,now look at it ,stuffed ,but in saying that the dealer has lost Mitsubishi and inhave to take it to another dealer that has taken it over from them
1103cc

Postby TheSheepKed on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:12 pm

1103cc wrote:Yes mate all up to scratch ,services ,recalls all done ,I had it back just before Christmas blowing water out of overflow bottle ,but dealer didn't find a problem ,said all good ,now look at it ,stuffed ,but in saying that the dealer has lost Mitsubishi and inhave to take it to another dealer that has taken it over from them

Sorry to hear about your issue mate. I too own a 2013 MN and this doesn't give me much hope.
How many K's on the clock?
TheSheepKed

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion