mn 2.5 diesel timing belt replacement procedure

Anything Triton related

Re: mn 2.5 diesel timing belt replacement procedure

Postby har05l on Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:52 pm

Stuart77 wrote:G'day all,

How difficult would everyone rate this job to be? I have a 2015 MN 2.5 and pretty good mechanical skills (although mostly self taught via books & youtube clips!) and am tossing up between doing it myself or very reluctantly parting with $1000 - $1500 for a mechanic to do it.

What're your thoughts?

Cheers

Mines a 2010 model and I still pay to get this done even though I could probably do it myself. I feel more confident in knowing it’s been done right and have some form of warranty if it was to fail afterwards for any reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:38 am

If you are patient and take your time you should be fine.

I find doing the valve clearances more of a pita. I have heard that you can do the timing belts without removing the radiator but I would not recommend it. One slip and good bye radiator core, plus it gives more room to work. More importantly, check, check and recheck everything. Use a torque wrench on all critical fasteners. Use a mirror to check timing mark alignment to avoid parallax error. Finally, be patient and take great care in bleeding air out of the cooling system. Don't scrimp either, replace all idlers as well as they will cause expensive damage if they fail The water pump should be ok, but replace it every second belt change, imho. Reset the balance shaft belt tension (easy) every 20k kms or so and it'll be good right to the next belt change. You may need a helper in some parts of the job if you aren't familiar with getting the timing marks lined up.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stuart77 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:11 am

Good advice. Cheers fellas
Stuart77

Postby taxman74 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:49 pm

Stuart77 wrote:G'day all,

How difficult would everyone rate this job to be? I have a 2015 MN 2.5 and pretty good mechanical skills (although mostly self taught via books & youtube clips!) and am tossing up between doing it myself or very reluctantly parting with $1000 - $1500 for a mechanic to do it.

What're your thoughts?

Cheers

I got a mechanic to do mine, I am pretty good at doing my own work on motors but the crank/cam seals needed replacing as well and I couldn't find any good videos or guides so I payed for it think it was $1350 with 20,000km 1 year warranty.
The timing was the thing that got to me unsure as the seals are easy.
taxman74

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:08 pm

Ready to remove belts.

Next time....sell it before they're due, don't get a vehicle with timing belt, get another sucker to do it...... :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aids84 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Pretty straightforward job, the worst part is getting the balancer off. Sometimes they slip straight off but other times you will have to wiggle and pry them until they come off.

You'll need to set the hydraulic tensioner in a vice and lock it with a pin or small allen key. And don't be tempted to make the balance shaft belt any tighter than the spring on the tensioner does, there have been cases of balance shafts fatigue cracking when too much belt tension is applied.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:42 pm

Actually the worst part of the operation has been getting the fan, shroud and radiator out of the way, esp. with the extra auto plumbing.

Will double check the balance tensioner. Unfortunately junior stripped one of the timing tensioners bolt threads when he missed the mounting hole and ran it over the balance shaft pulley. :cry: .Shopping for new bolt tomorrow.

The timing belt that was on the motor was in pretty good nick, however the balance belt was ready to fall to bits, probably never been replaced. That's the problem with preowned vehicles - constant discovery tour. :lol:
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Conrad GLXR on Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:23 am

https://youtu.be/YZndwhfD5K4

I found this on you tube it is good at showing all the timing marks and is so far the clearest I've found online some parts of the video are a little fast. I've taken my video that is slower and steadier so hopefully it's easier to see everything I'll post when finished
Conrad GLXR

Postby Enid_Triton on Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:40 am

RHKTriton wrote:Actually the worst part of the operation has been getting the fan, shroud and radiator out of the way, esp. with the extra auto plumbing.

Mate I have had many vehicles & I have always done the timing & accessory belts myself on every one. But I can understand why so many people take their Tritons to the dealer to have them done.
Yesterday I replaced the idler pulley & the alternator/water pump serpentine belt & the Air con belt & tension pulley on my MN (manual) & it is the most frustrating setup of any vehicle so far.

As you said the worst part is just being able to get to the parts you need to replace. Removing the fan shroud was not too bad (once you work out how to un-clip the bottom half first), but the bolts holding my fan must have been originally done up by a weight lifter.
The fan coupling bolts are only made from steel that has the strength of cheese too, so be careful with these. Mine would not budge & I had to resort to heating them one at a time with a small blow torch to get them out without breaking them or rounding off their heads.

Some have said that they can do it without removing anything, well you guys deserve a medal because there is just no room to do anything without removing at least the fan first. Honestly to have a comfortable amount of room you would need to remove the radiator too, but stuff doing that just to replace a couple of accessory belts. I guess it doesn't help when you have Gorilla size hands like me.

What has always been a 15 to 30 minute job on every other car I have done, ended up taking me an uncomfortable two hours on the Triton.
I would hate to have to change these belts in the bush because its a real "pita"...
And you have to remove the bash plates & turbo hoses etc, and then crawl around underneath to do it. It must be a pain doing it on an automatic with the added extra pipe work.
It has definitely made me think twice about doing the timing belt myself when it is due. Although, with the radiator, crank pulley and the rest of the crap removed I think it would be quite easy to do,, but getting there is the problem.
But thankfully it cured all the the chirping noises and I can actually hear the motor purring away again. Dam,, these things are incredibly noisy when the belts are worn, you just don't realize how much until you replace them.
Enid_Triton

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:19 am

Ha ha. The problem seems to be that nearly all these auto engineers don't actually have a driver's licence or ever have to work on their creations.

My son has moved into a MR, so problem is gone.

My ML has a chain ( YIPPIE ). With the visco fan & shroud permanently gone there is now reasonable access for inspection, etc at the front of the motor.

Just looked under the bonnet of an scross the other day and was impressed at the space around the power plant. There's hope.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Enid_Triton on Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:18 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Ha ha. The problem seems to be that nearly all these auto engineers don't actually have a driver's licence or ever have to work on their creations.

My son has moved into a MR, so problem is gone.

My ML has a chain ( YIPPIE ). With the visco fan & shroud permanently gone there is now reasonable access for inspection, etc at the front of the motor.

Just looked under the bonnet of an scross the other day and was impressed at the space around the power plant. There's hope.

Had mine done yesterday.
It had a loud tap only at idle while hot & nobody (including Mitsubishi) could diagnose exactly what it was. It would come and go & sounded exactly like valves, so I had them adjusted and a manifold clean but the noise was still there. Put in an updated suction control valve & checked all sensors but noise still there.
Then this old well worn bloke (about 90 years old) saw me looking under the bonnet at a servo & he said as he was passing "that rattle is caused by a loose timing belt".
I didn't think too much more about what he had said because the MN pigton has only done 57,000K's (as of yesterday), but after trying everything else I gave it a go & low & behold it got rid of the noise completely. The Mechanic said that both belts were stretched big time & couldn't believe that it had happen with such low K's.
He replaced both belts, belt Tensioners, pulleys and seals & said the water pump was still perfect & to leave it until next belt change. He also said that the old tensioners were fine too, it just had stretched belts. It's a 2015 model which is the last of the MN's so maybe they ran out of the good stuff on the assembly line & just threw in dodgy crap that they had laying around.
Enid_Triton

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:06 pm

2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Previous

Return to General Discussion