did MY15 MN tritons still have issues?

Anything Triton related

Re: did MY15 MN tritons still have issues?

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:34 pm

My understanding is that you can replace an engine with anything of equivalent or newer generation, pending any engineering that may be required.

So I assume it would be problematic getting a ml 3.2 into a mn but an mq unit less the dpf should crack it, as it meets a better pollution spec.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:30 am

Not to mention changing various ECUs, harness remaking, gearbox, driveshafts and then matching ancillaries. The costs to do it at dealer level would be horrific.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:50 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Not to mention changing various ECUs, harness remaking, gearbox, driveshafts and then matching ancillaries. The costs to do it at dealer level would be horrific.

True, if it was an 80's model vehicle you could drop any donk under the bonnet. Now you can't even mate an engine of the same model to the transmission or chassis of the next version without software upgrades and splicing of hundreds of cables. What a monster we've created.
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby Kingjw2001 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:15 am

Gday folks. Id thought id weigh given that I am now a member of this club. I picked up one of the run out MN glx+'s for 28k nearly 3 years ago and put 89k faultless kms on it up to November this year. I had been noticing a bit of bubbling through the overflow bottle but dismissed it as a faulty radiator cap. Towing a trailer I noticed it getting hot, I popped into repco and got an aftermarket cap, pushed all the fluid but into the radiator and set off. It was fine for another 500 kms but the overheating returned. I took it to mitsi, they charged my 155 for a check of the cooling system, after I insisted this wasn't the issue (knowing the history of these motors). They said the cooling system was fine and my aftermarket cap will be replaced with a mitsi one, $55. Three days later I returned it bubbling through the overflow and they said that this was normal. On Chrissy day it overheated with the wife, 2 kids and a sloppy pavlova in the car. I returned it with the code still showing and they decided to pull the heads off. They sent photos to mitsi and they have come to the party and im getting a new motor. Given the evidence on hand I don't think it should of taken 3 visits to get them to take me seriously. I love my triton but I wont be keeping it after this. Ill look at an MQ for sure but will probly lean towards an amarok. All brands have their issues its just luck of the draw if your effected.
Kingjw2001

Postby Joel on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:10 am

That's a pain especially at this time of year. So yours was a 2015 model then?
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby Kingjw2001 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:37 pm

Joel wrote:That's a pain especially at this time of year. So yours was a 2015 model then?

Yeah one of the last of the MNs I believe. Im currently driving around in a MQ (base model) loan vehicle and am pretty happy with the improvements from the mn.
Kingjw2001

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:45 pm

I'd be asking for a refund for the Mitsi radiator cap & useless cooling system test.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kingjw2001 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:20 pm

RHKTriton wrote:I'd be asking for a refund for the Mitsi radiator cap & useless cooling system test.

Yeah im hitting them up for at least the unsuccessful diagnosis.
Kingjw2001

Previous

Return to General Discussion