Tailgate Struts/Assist Systems

Anything Triton related

Tailgate Struts/Assist Systems

Postby Stuart77 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:02 pm

Hi all,

I can't find a related thread for this topic that isn't 5+ years old so...

Has anyone fitted tailgate assist struts or the cable mechanism?
I'm keen to install either and I'm curious as to whether the $249 set available in Aus' is any better than the up to $100 sets I find on eBay.
I understand that the struts themselves may be made of higher quality materials on the $249 set but I'm a bit sus on why there would be a such a big price difference for virtually identical parts (probably) both made in China.

Any tips appreciated, cheers
Stuart77

Re: Tailgate Struts/Assist Systems

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:23 pm

Seals that last more than a week in tubes that are actually round? Buy made in Oz....we need the dough.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby thebaton on Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:46 am

Third World wages might be the difference
thebaton

Postby DaveXT on Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:33 pm

You need more than struts, you also need the replacement hinges with the assist spring attached. Well worth the $249.
DaveXT

Postby Kalgrl on Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:38 pm

I added a tailgate damper with replacement torsion springs to my MQ 2016 about 3.5 years ago. I am able to drop the tailgate and it has a dampened opening by itself, and with the springs I can lift the tailgate with basically 1 finger. I measured the force needed to open the tailgate before and after and it went from about 14 kgs force to 4.5 kgs force. Get the springs.
Kalgrl

Postby Minza on Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:18 pm

I've had the ebay special rear tailgate damper on my Triton for just over 3 years now, soft open and a little lighter to close, think it was well under $100 when i bought mine, rubbish instructions but not hard to install, all hardware was included, i have replaced the little split pin once in the time I've had it. Mine is marked GT PRO on the strut.
Minza

Postby GreenGoblin on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:10 pm

Careful getting cheap Chinese ones, I ordered some ages ago, a package with bonnet and tailgate struts. Tried to fit the bonnet ones, but they were for a different vehicle or something and would not fit properly. Did not even attempt to fit the tailgate one after that fiasco...useless arseholes whoever they were......and especially in the current world situation I’d much rather buy Aussie. I’ve been waiting for Grunt to get their act together and release their ML versions, but if there is another reliable supplier listed on here I might have to have a look...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GreenGoblin

Postby thebaton on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:34 pm

I'd like to do Bonnet and tailgate with easy up too on an mn. Any Aussie recommendations?
thebaton

Return to General Discussion