Loss of power after water crossing

Anything Triton related

Loss of power after water crossing

Postby AndrewGLS on Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:02 pm

Hi all
Recently did the gibb in my 2022 MR GLS. No major dramas but I did notice some odd behaviour after water crossings.
I don't have a snorkel but the water was 400-500 deep and a RAV4 did it so I gave it a go.
On the other side of the water, I felt a temporary loss of power.
Of course I shat myself and checked the airbox, which was dry, so I don't think it's related to any water getting in there.
I understand the alternator is low on the triton so wonder if that was freaking out about getting soaked?

My OBD2 reader and carscanner app showed nothing obvious, but I did notice a drop in boost pressure which coincided with this phenomenon. Whether that was a symptom or the cause, I can't tell.

Anyway, wanting to know if anyone has any ideas or has had any issues like this with their triton when doing water crossings.

Further to the initial incident, we went to the bungle bungles as well and even when doing a very shallow crossing of 200mm or less I noticed the drop in power.

In hindsight, I wish I had a snorkel for this trip, just for peace fo mind, but I don't think that would resolve this issue, so would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers
Andrew
AndrewGLS

Re: Loss of power after water crossing

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:54 pm

My guess is that the pressurised air out of the turbo was being overcooled by an intercooler covered in water. Similar effect to having an intercooler that is too big - power actually reduces.

If it's happening on water crossings as shallow as 200mm then maybe you need to try driving through the crossing rather than planing over it? :P
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: Loss of power after water crossing

Postby AndrewGLS on Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:40 am

Oh yeah, that sounds plausible. I'll keep an eye on the air intake temp next time to see if that fluctuates much. I presume that sensor is after the intercooler? Maybe not. Anyway, thanks for the reply. I'll report back with any further info
AndrewGLS

Return to General Discussion