Surge Problem with MN Triton

Anything Triton related

Re: Surge Problem with MN Triton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:37 pm

Where are you located? If in Sydney I may be able to assist.

One way to test is to cause an engine light because it seems to default back to failsafe mode which I reckon bypasses the learned behaviours. I used to be able to provoke a P1901 code on mine (I think that's the one anyway) by leaving the bluetooth OBD connector connected to my phone while powering off and back on again. You'd get an engine light and the ABS and ASC lights would come on. It was some sort of canbus voltage code that I'd get. When you drove it with the warning lights on the engine was much more harsh sounding and the auto would hold gears much longer before kicking up so it would feel like it was accelerating more. Anyway it was doing that accidentally which gave me the idea and then with the learning cleared the auto seemed to back that theory up a bit.

I'm not actually sure how long it takes to change with the learning but I thought it was supposed to continually learn so I guess in theory if you drove much more aggressively for a while it should eventually respond to that.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby nobeachwork on Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:45 pm

Hey guys got my high spec scv in the mail today so I got straight into swapping it over tonight.
The one on the left is the factory one and the right is the high spec one. Aint gunna fit is it??
[url][URL=http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/ryanclarke81/media/scv_zpste3rlrev.jpg.html]Click to view larger picture[/url][/url]
Happy if im Surfing Spearing Fishing 4WDing Shooting Camping Crabbing & Not-working!!!!! :D
nobeachwork
Platinum Subscriber

Postby suhua4 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:17 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Where are you located? If in Sydney I may be able to assist.

One way to test is to cause an engine light because it seems to default back to failsafe mode which I reckon bypasses the learned behaviours. I used to be able to provoke a P1901 code on mine (I think that's the one anyway) by leaving the bluetooth OBD connector connected to my phone while powering off and back on again. You'd get an engine light and the ABS and ASC lights would come on. It was some sort of canbus voltage code that I'd get. When you drove it with the warning lights on the engine was much more harsh sounding and the auto would hold gears much longer before kicking up so it would feel like it was accelerating more. Anyway it was doing that accidentally which gave me the idea and then with the learning cleared the auto seemed to back that theory up a bit.

I'm not actually sure how long it takes to change with the learning but I thought it was supposed to continually learn so I guess in theory if you drove much more aggressively for a while it should eventually respond to that.

Sadly I am in Brisbane............ :cry:

So if I get an OBD scanner will that be a function to clear the learning?

I remember I drove several Aurions couples of years ago. With the urban police retirements the throttle always seems very direct but with regional police or private cars the throttle feels a bit more sluggish. Guess that's because cops in the city have more stop start traffic and they just give it heavy foot but private drivers would be somehow concern about economics. The difference was actually quite significant.
suhua4

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:45 pm

No you won't be able to do it with a normal OBD scanner. Take it up to Lee McCarthy at Kia Kedron and tell him you want them to use the MUT3 to clear the learned data from the INVECS system - he should be sensible about pricing it for you. For that matter I'd get them to check the whole thing out, he and one of his better mechanics were running the Eagers mitsubishi workshop until the end of last year.

Cowboy Dave

Postby suhua4 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:29 pm

I guess MUT3 is only for Mitsubishi Diagnoses? I read from another post Eagers has changed management and their service "downgrades"..... I bought mine from Barton at Wynnum, they are no bad so I may get them to scan it on the next service, while they will do it anyway for the cap price whole lot. If it's not what my mechanic friend with universal tools can do I'd leave it from now but I will definitely get the dealer to check these things next time.

I found the 5 spd auto always sluggish even since new. It was quite smooth though until last years sql by the dealer, but did improve performance.....
suhua4

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:35 pm

Yes that's true about Eagers - but that's because the people I described left and went to Kedron.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Stoneman on Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:56 am

nobeachwork wrote:Hey guys got my high spec scv in the mail today so I got straight into swapping it over tonight.
The one on the left is the factory one and the right is the high spec one. Aint gunna fit is it??
[url][URL=http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/ryanclarke81/media/scv_zpste3rlrev.jpg.html]Click to view larger picture[/url][/url]

No they are different mate

I have new MN SCV in a box
Stoneman

Postby Dan13 on Thu May 07, 2015 12:29 pm

Has anyone been told by a dealer to add a bottle of cleaner to the tank? I just spoke with a dealer who said he has a 90% success rate with surging problems by adding it.. I'm going to grab a bottle tonight and put it in the next time I need to refuel. Its worth trying for $20 but I cant imagine its going to be the silver bullet fix!
Cheers Dan
Dan13

Postby AnOldFart on Thu May 07, 2015 8:28 pm

Dan13 wrote:Has anyone been told by a dealer to add a bottle of cleaner to the tank? I just spoke with a dealer who said he has a 90% success rate with surging problems by adding it.. I'm going to grab a bottle tonight and put it in the next time I need to refuel. Its worth trying for $20 but I cant imagine its going to be the silver bullet fix!

First "Dan" just try adding a 300ml dose of Castrol Activ 2T (FC Rated mineral oil based 2 Stroke Oil) to your fuel tank immediately before you do your next complete diesel fill-up.... ;) Cheaper than paying your Stealer $20 for "a bottle of cleaner" and just as effective, indeed possibly even more so, at curing your "Surge Problem".... :)
If that -doesn't- cure it, then pull your MAF sensor out and use a can of "CRC MAF Spray Cleaner" to give it a squirt, then put it back in place before pulling your MAF wiring harness "connector" apart and giving it a squirt of LanoTec-GP on all of the metal pins on both halves of the connector. Pretty good chance now that your previous "surge" problems will now be but a fading memory.... :D
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dan13 on Thu May 07, 2015 8:44 pm

Cheers AnOldFart. Sound advice and I'll be giving that a go for sure. If I can make it a distant memory I'll be confident to start all my mods (which are hold until I can get rid of this).
Cheers Dan
Dan13

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 07, 2015 9:17 pm

I'd still give the cleaner a go as well. It's supposed to clean the injectors out a bit and there have been reports of vehicles running a little sweeter with it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Fri May 08, 2015 8:01 am

Inject clean seems to be the fo ive used it a couple times now and i works from a local seller in Cleveland brisbane i will see if i can find the link and place it hear on my phone
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Fri May 08, 2015 8:02 am

Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby drystonewalls on Sun May 31, 2015 4:00 pm

Hi Guys, I am new here but old to the surging problem, it comes and goes and can be maddening. There is a lot to take in here but I think I need to do this to my truck.

2007 2.4l DID

1, injector cleaner in the tank
2, clean MAF senor
3, get it re-flashed
4, maybe have the inlet off and clean it out

I have had the EGR valve replaced and replaced the fuel filter.

Can I just check with you guys that the surging is like mine is doing? I have a little video of it here on youtube,
https://youtu.be/Y-TMZrMVgKE you may need to turn it up a bit to hear the engine over the road noise.

Yeh, yeh, I know I am driving on the wrong side of the road.

Thanks guys, its taken me three days of spare time to wade through all the posts, reassuring to know i can be fixed and I intend to start doing the jobs on the list this week.

Thanks again.

Nigel.
drystonewalls

Postby Dan13 on Sun May 31, 2015 4:38 pm

Yep thats it. What is realy frustrating is that it comes and goes within a tank of juice. Which makes me think its not bad fuel and more points to sensors ect.
I have just cleaned my map sensor today and added some oil as oldfart suggested. Heres hoping its stays away.
Cheers Dan
Dan13

Postby jcee on Sun May 31, 2015 6:36 pm

Hi all,
Just wanting to chime in, noticed the MN started to surge between 1800-2200 rpm when the unit is cold, once it's up to operating temp, the surging disappears as on cruise @100km it holds a steady rev.

Now, l haven't dropped some 2t oil for a while (3 tank fulls) and it seem the triton doesn't like Vortex all of sudden...so the next fill l dropped some 2t oil into the tank and presto, no surging when cold.

Car comes out of warranty soon so for that service l'll get them to clean the manifold and possibly this SCV whilst they do a value adjustment.
jcee

Postby AnOldFart on Sun May 31, 2015 8:08 pm

jcee wrote:Hi all,
Just wanting to chime in, noticed the MN started to surge between 1800-2200 rpm when the unit is cold, once it's up to operating temp, the surging disappears as on cruise @100km it holds a steady rev.
Now, l haven't dropped some 2t oil for a while (3 tank fulls) and it seem the triton doesn't like Vortex all of sudden...so the next fill l dropped some 2t oil into the tank and presto, no surging when cold.
Car comes out of warranty soon so for that service l'll get them to clean the manifold and possibly this SCV whilst they do a value adjustment.

x2 on it "doesn't like Vortex all of a sudden" .... :shock:
It's been 2 years now since I -last- had -any- of these "surging" symptoms which were -induced- to first appear, by using Caltex Vortex fuel, and it's also the same amount of time that I've now been adding a small dose of Castrol Activ 2T to each fuel tank refill.... ;) You don't need to be 'Einstein' .... ;) Just join the dots.... :lol:
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby biggibbo on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:04 am

I stopped using vortex about 3 months ago (changed fuel card suppliers), and whilst I haven't noticed any difference in performance, I have noticed I'm getting about an extra 80km to each tank (125l long range tank) using shell diesel.
biggibbo

Postby poul on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:10 am

Changed my fuel filter and rand thru a fuel additive and good as new no more surging
poul

Postby Morne23 on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:21 pm

G'day guys need a bit of help Iv just bought a 2015 my15 triton brand new which I love but driving it back home I was only getting 610Km on a 75L tank going at about 110km/h and I don't think that's right I should be getting quite a bit more out of the tank. I haven't been to the mechanics yet. Has any one had this problem before.? And if so can this be fixed ? Low fuel consumption was on of my deciding factors and really disappoints that it's not good at all. Any advise would be great
Morne23

Postby Morne23 on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:23 pm

G'day guys need a bit of help Iv just bought a 2015 my15 triton brand new which I love but driving it back home I was only getting 610Km on a 75L tank going at about 110km/h and I don't think that's right I should be getting quite a bit more out of the tank. I haven't been to the mechanics yet. Has any one had this problem before.? And if so can this be fixed ? Low fuel consumption was on of my deciding factors and really disappoints that it's not good at all. Any advise would be great
Morne23

Postby GLRkenny on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:25 pm

Oh how I wish I'd get that economy, I'm lucky to get 550 out of a tank in my 2015, was getting about 600 with stock tyres, my 2012 and my wife's 2010 are both the same, all autos.
GLRkenny

Postby AnOldFart on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:56 pm

Just bought it ..new.. and drove it back home at ....110KmHr.... :shock:
Fair chance your brand new donk might be just a wee bit -tight- and hence I'd wait until I had at least a couple of thousand Kms on the clock before I got too worried about what the -real- fuel economy looked like.... ;)
Another thing to keep in mind is that your ..new.. rig will probably have the latest ECU software in it which some folks on here have already mentioned made their previous fuel consumption figures a bit worse after having their ECU's updated during their last Stealer services.
Fitting -big- tyres will also impact how thirsty she gets as well, of course, will ..your.. own driving style ie, frequent pedal-2-the-medal might be fun -but- it'll hurt your wallet.... ;)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby biggibbo on Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:34 pm

Morne23 wrote:G'day guys need a bit of help Iv just bought a 2015 my15 triton brand new which I love but driving it back home I was only getting 610Km on a 75L tank going at about 110km/h and I don't think that's right I should be getting quite a bit more out of the tank. I haven't been to the mechanics yet. Has any one had this problem before.? And if so can this be fixed ? Low fuel consumption was on of my deciding factors and really disappoints that it's not good at all. Any advise would be great

Manual or auto?
How many litres did you put in for the 610km?
Is it brand new or second hand?
Does it have stock tyres?
Does it have any other accessories bolted on?

If you give some more info, someone with a similar setup can chime in and tell you if you are on par or a few strokes off!
biggibbo

Postby mritchard on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:56 pm

I have same problem with 2009 turbo diesel manual. Had check engine light come on about 3 months ago with fault code for EGR valve so replaced it. I had the inlet manifold cleaned about 6 months ago and the extra power and fuel economy was amazing but now the surging has returned again. The surging happens only between 2000 - 2600 revs irrespective of load or what gear you are in. It's a pain. Due for 140,000 service and am thinking I'll have the SCV changed to see if this helps. Will advise. I've tried all sorts of fuel additives with no success! Normally use BP or United fuel. Haven't used Woolworths/Caltex as most mechanics advise against it. If I can't get it fixed (as this has been an ongoing problem) will probably have to fix it with another vehicle but can't sell a car with an obvious surging problem as it happens all the time whether cold or hot towing or not!
mritchard

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion