(Misfuel) Petrol AND Diesel

Anything Triton related

Re: (Misfuel) Petrol AND Diesel

Postby leonbee on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:13 am

deermaster wrote:Done this myself on an old 2.8Hilux glad it wasn't a common rail diesel as I would never have started it. I drove home with 20litres of petrol and forty of diesel. Syphoned as much as I could out and then filled with diesel and it ran like a clock and went even better than before. It went that well I slowly used the whole lot that I had syphoned out putting small amounts in each fill. Those older diesels it probably wouldn't hurt, but if I did that to my Triton, I would be draining it before ever starting. That old Hilux truck did another 200000ks and its still going well with the bloke who brought it. :D

Can you remember how many km was on the clock when you did it ? Interesting you also found an improvement in performance afterwards. I suspect it’s a good clean out. Most commercial cleaner additives are solvent based. You just added like 1000 bottles to make sure. :lol:

The fuel pump is designed to run on Ultra low sulphur diesel which is almost as dry as petrol anyway. I would think it could handle petrol short term. Anyone had a pump go because of this?.

I drove 2k with the diesel in the lines, shut the engine as soon as the petrol hit. Time will tell. Warrant is all good but that may change should the pump fail early. :cry:

I wonder what the legality of the manufacturer is in regards to stopping this happening. The sticker on the fuel cap. Maybe they should make a square nozzle for the square heads. :lol: BMW has a device fitted standard.

:shock: I mentioned my mistake to the BP operator and she burst out laughing, said it happens all the time.

My friend runs a business fleet and said 3 drivers have done it. 2 drivers did not start and all the trucks are fine. So I can only hope she keeps running as smooth and responsive with no probs. :D
leonbee

Postby deermaster on Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:18 pm

leonbee wrote:
deermaster wrote:Done this myself on an old 2.8Hilux glad it wasn't a common rail diesel as I would never have started it. I drove home with 20litres of petrol and forty of diesel. Syphoned as much as I could out and then filled with diesel and it ran like a clock and went even better than before. It went that well I slowly used the whole lot that I had syphoned out putting small amounts in each fill. Those older diesels it probably wouldn't hurt, but if I did that to my Triton, I would be draining it before ever starting. That old Hilux truck did another 200000ks and its still going well with the bloke who brought it. :D

Can you remember how many km was on the clock when you did it ? Interesting you also found an improvement in performance afterwards. I suspect it’s a good clean out. Most commercial cleaner additives are solvent based. You just added like 1000 bottles to make sure. :lol:

The fuel pump is designed to run on Ultra low sulphur diesel which is almost as dry as petrol anyway. I would think it could handle petrol short term. Anyone had a pump go because of this?.

I drove 2k with the diesel in the lines, shut the engine as soon as the petrol hit. Time will tell. Warrant is all good but that may change should the pump fail early. :cry:

I wonder what the legality of the manufacturer is in regards to stopping this happening. The sticker on the fuel cap. Maybe they should make a square nozzle for the square heads. :lol: BMW has a device fitted standard.

:shock: I mentioned my mistake to the BP operator and she burst out laughing, said it happens all the time.

My friend runs a business fleet and said 3 drivers have done it. 2 drivers did not start and all the trucks are fine. So I can only hope she keeps running as smooth and responsive with no probs. :D

It only had just over 100000ks when I did that, sold it with 330000Ks and now it has over 360000Ks and still running like a clock. It definately ran heaps better after the miss fuel up and seemed to have far more power too. I slowly used the whole 50liters I syphoned out, putting it back in the tank at a rate of a couple of liters each fill up. Lots of blokes told me they actually added petrol into their trucks :o
I would be very hesitant to use my Triton with petrol in with the diesel though, I just add 2T now :lol:
deermaster

Postby leonbee on Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:35 pm

Besides a clean out, I suspect the better running may be due to petrol still in the tank increasing the cetane level. BP Ultimate is suppose to guarantee a high cetane level in which most people report more power and better fuel economy. I would think adding petrol (constantly) would no doubt reduce lubrication and increase wear.

I will have to see how she goes over the next few tanks, and monitor the performance and fuel economy. :?
leonbee

Postby Rusty02 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:13 pm

My wife did this in our my15 with only 600klms on the clock. We only had 1/4 tank of diesel so she filled it up with VORTEX unleaded. She then drove up the freeway for about 5klms then it stopped so she rolled to the side. Long story short, we got it towed to Mitsubishi. They drained the tank, changed the filter, and ran about 10 litres of diesel through it. Charged me $400 and is running just as good as before. I said to them if warranty is wiped to fix it up to restore the warranty as my insurance will cover the cost. They said it has no affect on the warranty at all and they have at least 4 a week. We were very lucky to get away with it!

As for the branding issue, my wife looked at the big price sign at the front of the servo and seen VORTEX Deisel and seen VORTEX written on the pump so she filled it up. This could be made clearer!

If you do realise before you start the car, call a tow truck and get it drained. Check with your insurer to see if they will cover the repairs, ours was less than the excess so wasn't worth it. We are insured with Allianz.
Rusty02

Postby leonbee on Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:20 pm

[quote="Rusty02"]My wife did this in our my15 with only 600klms on the clock.

600km bet you both slept well that night. :shock: Wish my wife did it. Funny thing is I told my wife never to fill it up because I did not trust her... :oops: Did I cop an earful. :roll:

I agree Diesel Vortex would stop or reduce the problem. I just look for Diesel now.
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:49 am

What happens in your engine when you fill your truck with petrol ? Petrol is high in Cetane. To much Cetane (petrol) will cause your truck to miss fire and stall. ultimate and Vortex have the max Cetane allowable for a modern diesel engine to improve performance.

Here is a great clip on the role of cetane in your truck for modern day common rail diesels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdQ4J-NFoU8
leonbee

Postby Rory18 on Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:08 am

I may be very wrong, but I believe technically petrol has a low centane rating because it doesn't ignite well under compression inginition?
Rory18

Postby leonbee on Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:35 pm

Rory18 wrote:I may be very wrong, but I believe technically petrol has a low centane rating because it doesn't ignite well under compression inginition?

yep. higher cetane fuels will have shorter ignition delay periods than lower Cetane fuels
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:02 pm

Octane is the word Im looking for. To much Octane in petrol does not readily ignite causing the truck to miss fire and stall. Must be time for bed. :roll:

Anyway the video clips are good I think....
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:46 pm

Ok I got 8.9litres per 100km stock My15 auto when refilling after a miss fuel with petrol.That's the best fuel economy I have had yet. That was just cheap standard diesel from a service sation with a seperate bowser with diesel written on it. So better performance and fuel economy. It must be the petrol still in the tank mixed in with the diesel I will monitor my next fills and see how she goes. Same trips and driving style. :?
leonbee

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:51 pm

It probably gave the whole fuel system a bloody good clean out.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby leonbee on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:11 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:It probably gave the whole fuel system a bloody good clean out.

Yep that,s for sure.Think your right cowboy Dave,,,,,
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:38 pm

leonbee wrote:Ok I got 8.9litres per 100km stock My15 auto when refilling after a miss fuel with petrol.That's the best fuel economy I have had yet. That was just cheap standard diesel from a service sation with a seperate bowser with diesel written on it. So better performance and fuel economy. It must be the petrol still in the tank mixed in with the diesel I will monitor my next fills and see how she goes. Same trips and driving style. :?

uPDATE: Really strange. The Fuel economy has gone back to normal around 9.5 to 10. If someone would like to mix about 5L of petrol in with the diesel .Let me know if they get better fuel economy that would be great. :shock:
leonbee

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:02 pm

Not me.

Your at the servo have about 1/4 a tank of diesel.
You add about 4.5L of unleaded.
What would you do?
L200Shogun

Postby Naff on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:36 pm

Fill up the rest with diesel and move on
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:42 pm

I'd probably just fill the rest up with diesel and drive it. Bloody MN will eventually blow up anyway.

You could add some 2stroke oil for piece of mind.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:45 pm

Unleaded just smells so good at 1:30 in the morning, just unfortunate when you realise that you just wasted 30l of fuel!

Took me about a hour to pump most of it out with the priming pump, refilled with dino juice and got the hell out of there, hoping no one would go out for a smoke for the next couple of hours where I ditched the load. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:19 pm

So if 4L of petrol in a tank of diesel with some 2 stroke oil added is possibly ok.
How much petrol is not ok?
L200Shogun

Postby leonbee on Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:19 pm

I give up how much! :?
leonbee

Postby Naff on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:45 pm

8.3%

.. based on no actual knowledge or experience.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby leonbee on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:49 pm

Naff wrote:8.3%

.. based on no actual knowledge or experience.

Thanks! I'll give it a go :lol:
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:38 pm

Here is a good article I found on miss fueling FAQ. One point of interest was the fuel filter does not have to be replaced, just flushed. Makes sense to me....

http://www.fuelfixer.co.uk/wrong-fuelpe ... esel-faqs/
leonbee

Postby kxboss on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:45 am

Guess who is a nufty
Dumb F**k i filled my almost empty tank with unleaded, drove home about 2 klm all good didnt notice started car next morning white clouds of smoke and clashing and banging, tried to start it again same thing, swear and curse do the F**K dance around car get on bike and ride to work, come home bleed system and change fuel filter no difference, son in law comes over and looks at it and tells me that it smell like unleaded, [censored] drain tank, pour in 20l of diesel, pump 10 out through fuel inlet line to filter, and start blows some smoke but runs ok short drive down street lots of smoke drive home no smoke.
My Question now is what else do i need to do otr what could go wrong in the next 100000klm it has 160000 on it now.
My nickname at work is now Johnny diesel. :shock:
kxboss

Postby kxboss on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:53 am

quick note
to drain the tank i used a drill operated pump attached to the fuel filter inlet hose, but only do this in a well ventilated area as the battery operated drill can give off a spark and set the unleaded on fire and bang insurance claim for fire damage, when i did the pump out it was outside and blowing a Gail, so far i have survived again
kxboss

Postby thebaton on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:21 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.resear ... engine/amp

Some scientific research on diesel petrol fuel blends!!
Emissions down by 90% in some scenario s
thebaton

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion