Dual Battery Wiring

Re: Dual Battery Wiring

Postby viking shippy on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:16 pm

If you search Ctech all will be revealed
C techs are good because they cure voltage drop..they ramp up the voltage to 14v if needed at a full 20amps right at your battery. in the tub..something a stand alone cable cannot do without voltage loss..and the electronics in your truck allocate an amperage for the start battery , some for the running of the truck and for some reason won't give out much for a second battery to reach a full charge...hence this is why a lot of blokes are going for the dc to dc charger cause you only need12 square wire run up your chassis and your battery gets what it needs...I charge 200ah of battery from 12.5 to full charge (13.50v). In about 4hours of driving...or less ..or a 8hours on my 80watt solar panel ...take note that when a battery is down to12v its flat and needs charging whilst you can run a fridge down to 10.5v doing this shortens the life of your battery considerably..
Last edited by viking shippy on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viking shippy

Postby Thommo3337 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:18 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:If you don't use it how do you know how many amps you'd be getting out of your alternator?

Hey Dave sorry am not sure on the whole thing that is why I am asking but I would have thought u would get a lot more than 20a off your alternator is this correct?
A Heroin Addiction Would Have Been Cheaper!!
Thommo3337

Postby Thommo3337 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:23 pm

viking shippy wrote:If you search Ctech all will be revealed
C techs are good because they cure voltage drop..they ramp up the voltage to 14v if needed at a full 20amps right at your battery. in the tub..something a stand alone cable cannot do without voltage loss..and the electronics in your truck allocate an amperage for the start battery , some for the running of the truck and for some reason won't give out much for a second battery to reach a full charge...hence this is why a lot of blokes are going for the dc to dc charger cause you only need12 square wire run up your chassis and your battery gets what it needs...I charge 200ah of battery from 12.5 to full charge (13.50v). In about 4hours of driving...or less ..or a 8hours on my 80watt solar panel ...take note that when a battery is down to12v its flat and needs charging whilst you can run a fridge down to 10.5v doing this shortens the life of your battery considerably..

I have run 3b&s so voltage drop isn't as big as with a smaller cable. Does anyone know what the mn triton alternator will supply?
I understand the concept of the ctek that's why I bought it however would it be beneficial or not for the specific reason I have mentioned?(to quick charge battery rather than drive for longer)
Thommo3337

Postby viking shippy on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:30 pm

It's about the volts you need a good14v for agms
Then as many amps as the battery can use without overheating.. 40amps is huge and will boil and fume the average 100anp battery..the output of the alternator is not what your battery gets its a sum of demand and the battery is just a small part of that sum..your starting battery is for starting and nothing else untill you turn your engine off.the alternator takes care of all accesorys lights ext.all these things take there little bit of amps say10amps for instance..multiply this by the number of Accsesorys x6 and you have your peak demand =60 so you have it an 80amp alt covers demand ...your battery in the tub taking into account huge wire probably 13v and 10amps at best..see the electrical system won't give your second battery what it needs...hence the Ctech...
This has been covered before mate use the search button or a good book I recommend is the 12 volt bible available at bias boating...I hope I've helped
Cheers graham
Last edited by viking shippy on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
viking shippy

Postby viking shippy on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:38 pm

I remember when I had an amp gauge on my old commodore it would read about 15 amps max when I flattened my battery ...so the Ctech having 14v and charging in 5stages at 20amps is great and your alt won't do better unless your battery is under the hood...
viking shippy

Postby Snooozy on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Thommo3337 wrote:... just need to find a place to put the CB under the bonnet at this stage thinking of the plastic cover around the battery...

I mounted my CB to the top of the fuse cover.
Click to view larger picture
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Oh one more thing lol I can hear you ohh sudup vs
If you have the Ctech on solar input the 1st battery will be charged once the 2nd lot are full ..great for extended stays in one place..
viking shippy

Postby Thommo3337 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:14 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Snooozy I looked at where u put yours I was going to mount mine their but tried the metal thing behind with one hole in it snapped the breaker trying to screw it back (not my fault) now it is left to the good old humble cable tie.
Thommo3337

Postby Quinny on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:48 pm

I went a bit nutz ... bought a 120 A/H AGM battery - a 60L water tank & 17L/Min pump ...

This morning went down to supercrap to get some bits & pieces ... didn't have anything that I needed to get the cable installed (from engine bay to tub) :evil:
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:36 pm

Quinny wrote:I went a bit nutz ... bought a 120 A/H AGM battery - a 60L water tank & 17L/Min pump ...

This morning went down to supercrap to get some bits & pieces ... didn't have anything that I needed to get the cable installed (from engine bay to tub) :evil:

Slight detour off topic, but ...

Where'd you get the 60L tank and 17L/min pump from??
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Naff on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:50 pm

Quinny wrote:I went a bit nutz ... bought a 120 A/H AGM battery - a 60L water tank & 17L/Min pump ...

PM me with a list of things you need Quinny.. I'll see what the sparkies have at work.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:55 pm

Naff wrote:

PM me with a list of things you need Quinny.. I'll see what the sparkies have at work.

Ooooh ... thank you Naffster ;)
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mudme on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:36 pm

So in my setup I am having both batteries next to each other under the bonnet on a dual battery tray (tjm) with the ctek in between the 2, what size cable do you guys think is sufficient
Mudme

Postby Naff on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:42 pm

The ctek manual should tell you..?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mudme on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:34 pm

Didn't come with one, I bought it off eBay cheaaap
Mudme

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:39 pm

The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby viking shippy on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:16 am

Mudme wrote:So in my setup I am having both batteries next to each other under the bonnet on a dual battery tray (tjm) with the ctek in between the 2, what size cable do you guys think is sufficient

Bigger the better mate just use what is there already and that will be plenty..
There short runs so you can afford to go big..
viking shippy

Postby Mudme on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:11 am

cheers dave
Mudme

Postby Mudme on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:18 am

just looking at the manual do i really need to come off the alternator aswell as the +from the starter battery or just the + from the starter to the ctek
Mudme

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:42 am

Just the + from the battery. And remember u have to run the negative on the ctek back to both batteries, not just the aux.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mudme on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:14 am

No worries, thanks mate
Mudme

Postby hvac guy on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Quinny wrote:
hvac guy wrote:ps my gramma is shit sorry.

:lol: I understood what you meant ...

Yes - the winch is in the bar, but not wired up yet :oops: - but that idea has sold me on the idea of leaving the VSR in and running it from the second battery ...

As everyone with a Triton knows, V6 or otherwise, there isn't a hell of a lot of space under the bonnet for another battery.

With the current AUX battery I have - the biggest cranking battery I can fit in the battery tray is L: 231mm, W: 173mm.

I chose a Delkor 55D23L sealed - maintenance free, calcium. CCA 550.

(Now this is a bit embarrassing :oops: After googling for the dimensions, I find that the aux battery I am using is a calcium battery, not an AGM :oops: which I though I bought ...) Dimensions are: L: 305mm, Width: 174mm. (MRV70 allrounder) ... Maybe the three years of punishment I have given it, isn't that bad after all ...

hvac guy wrote:The first battery and second battery would have too be of the same type but the third could be whatever U Want

So Hvac ... a question - from your quote above, I recon I could get another MRV70... Quick search, for around $200 delivered. (probably could find better if I look a bit harder.) CCA rating for this is 760. Is that what you meant about the same type of battery (sealed calcium ?) What sort of CCA rating is good for a winch battery ?

As usual ... thank you for your assistance gentlemen ... ;)

Q

sorry q been on holidays but yes both batteries to be of the same construction but being a v6 u can have a smaller start battery and a larger aux battery for winching.

with a winch the higher the cca the better. too increase cca while winching you could install a manual isolator to run
parallel with the vsr, but unless u winch all the time i wouldnt bother.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:52 pm

No worries Hvac ... Thanks for the info ;)

BTW - the water pump arrived today 8-)

Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:43 pm

... and ... the new 120A/h battery arrived today 8-) (picture after it was installed in the ARK box) - Geeeeze that's a heavy battery :shock:

Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Nice. Yeah my 105ah was about 25kg.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical