Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Re: Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Postby crazyau on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:49 pm

The email was received late last week, Matt was quite explicit about not sharing the link online, but anyone on his mailing list should of received it.
If not, flick him through an email and i am sure he will send out the link. :)
crazyau

Postby spoiltone on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:43 pm

anyone found the part number to move trip computer to above unit?
spoiltone

Postby Bouie74 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:04 pm

G'day all

I have an MN GLX-R 2013 and am looking at a new double din unit because I NEED a reverse camera as I can't see a damn thing out the back of this beast!

Does anyone know you can integrate the standard Bluetooth with a dig options unit so that, if I move the multifunction screen and install the double din unit, I still have full functionality of the Bluetooth, including voice command, call ID on the MFD and sound through the main speakers?

My main reason for asking this because the best option out there is about $3k to buy and instal (eclipse AVN827GA) but if you can do what I suggest about I could have the whole step for around $1200! Also, I'm really impressed with the stock Bluetooth setup with voice control and MFD displaying of information.

Appreciate your advice.
Bouie74

Postby gaspode on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Full Bluetooth functionality - will depend on your phone. If it currently connects to the existing head unit, then yes.
Caller ID - Yes, it will display the number on the screen. Depending on where you mount your phone, you should be able to see it on that also.
Sound through the main speakers - Yes, it will play your phone calls through all of the speakers.

I have had the Dig Options unit in my Triton for 6 months now and I would recommend it to anyone that asks based on it's bang for buck and usability.

Hope this helps.
This is the best bad idea I have
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodeddy on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi,
I have a 2013 MN GLXR and have simply installed one of these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REVERSING-MI ... 1c36c4c98f

works awesome. Simply remove the original rear view mirror and fit this one.
Make sure you ask him for the mirror that suits the triton and the camera that has the guide lines in it.

ps - I use my Samsung Galaxy phone for GPS - it actually works better than my Tom Tom..

cheers, Rod :D
rodeddy

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:24 pm

You will only lose the voice activation. Otherwise the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. $1200 is about three times what you really need to pay for this unit.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby gaspode on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:30 pm

^^^ Yeah, I only paid a bit over $600 for mine with the extra's I wanted. $1200 sound a little steep.
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bigbirdalx on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:37 pm

So outta intrest it will fit glx and glr, the dig options? Im pretty sure i read in here it will
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:40 pm

Yes, Bigbird. Just need to get the cover ~$70 IIRC.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Bouie74 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:20 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:You will only lose the voice activation. Otherwise the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. $1200 is about three times what you really need to pay for this unit.

Thanks for info all!

Why would I lose the the voice activation? Wouldn't that be through the parrot Bluetooth unit?

Also, how would you connect the Bluetooth to the dig option unit? Is there a specific input to mute the music and output the sound through the speakers? Or am I off track here?

The $1200 was because I was factoring in the professional install which includes moving the MFD into the location of the current single din location. It's a new vehicle and whilst I used to do all this stuff myself, I just don't have time these days..... :roll:
Bouie74

Postby gaspode on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:26 pm

When you link (for want of a better word) with the dig option unit via bluetooth, it will automatically mute the volume for all incoming and out going calls.

As for voice activation, my Motorola has these two things called Voice Command and Smart Actions, not available on all phones. This allows for voice commands via the phone. I am certian that most other phonebreeds would have something similar.
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Belbrook on Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:55 pm

Has anyone installed the single din head unit from digoptions.
I'm wondering if it clears the dash when unfolded.
Not bad for an old bloke
Belbrook

Postby mgc_020 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:27 pm

Does the console in the centre of the dash just pull out? I have an ML GLX.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessarily long quote.
mgc_020

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:49 pm

mgc_020 wrote:Does the console in the centre of the dash just pull out? I have an ML GLX.

Yes. See further back in this thread for more detailed instruction.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby fridgie on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:45 pm

Bouie74 wrote:
NowForThe5th wrote:You will only lose the voice activation. Otherwise the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. $1200 is about three times what you really need to pay for this unit.

Thanks for info all!

Why would I lose the the voice activation? Wouldn't that be through the parrot Bluetooth unit?

Also, how would you connect the Bluetooth to the dig option unit? Is there a specific input to mute the music and output the sound through the speakers? Or am I off track here?

The $1200 was because I was factoring in the professional install which includes moving the MFD into the location of the current single din location. It's a new vehicle and whilst I used to do all this stuff myself, I just don't have time these days..... :roll:

It sounds like they are talking about pairing phone to the dig options unit.
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

dig options issues

Postby Hofmann on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:32 am

Heh guys, just bought and installed a dig options double din stereo into my mn glxr.

As the trip computer (or whatever was in that double din slot above the ac controls) had been removed from my vehicle before I purchased it, I am missing the brackets. Does anyone know what brackets I need and if they are all much the same regardless of whether you had the double din radio, trip computer or just that roller door pocket. My local dealer seems to be a little confused about the whole thing too.They sent me this which appears to be for the trip computer. The only way I see this working though is with the blanking plates that were on the stereo. Anyone done this before?

https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/?ui ... &zw&atsh=1

Also, having a little trouble with the steering wheel controls. I followed the instructions to program it but I keep getting a failure notification. I can see the frequencies popping upon the right hand side when I hit the buttons so I know it is connected, just can't program it. Any hints?
Hofmann

Re: dig options issues

Postby gaspode on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:12 am

Hi Hofmann,

The brackets for the trip computer will work, you will need to trim them down to suit. I used the my old trip computer brackets when I fitted mine.

As for your other questions, if you haven't read this thread, it would be a great start.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8224&hilit=dig+option
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Re: dig options issues

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Since you don't have the brackets, you'll have to fab something up. Just a right angle bracket in <1mm steel will do - the ones from Bunnings with multiple holes are ideal. Even with the original brackets I found it necessary to drill new holes to suit the sides of the double DIN unit and get the angle just right. Brackets nned to be about 20mm on one side and maybe 80mm one the side that fits to the unit. Match height to suit the mounts that are already there with two screw holes facing towards you.

I'm going to merge this thread with the existing one, so just read back - there is quite a bit of information on the steering wheel control setup.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Hofmann on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:48 am

Hi guys. Finally found what happened to my post! Thanks for the responses. You guys should write the manual instead of that 2 page pigeon English version. Steering controls all good now.

Next issue is my hood/ fascia Clearances. They aren't great. I got the original brackets and installed as per instructions in this thread. The hood appears to be a little different now than in the original instructions. I don't have a flat fascia piece like the older ones although there is a flimsy Square that fills the gap. .. sort of and poorly. Am I missing anything.? It seems maybe I need to do away with the plastic filler thing that is dropping down over the cd hole as per photos below and pack the whole radio forward. That means longer screws I'd say so thought I should check that this is the go first

Just so you know I have read this thread cover to cover and I apologise if any of this has been covered and I missed it. I know there was some recent talk about shaving hoods but I couldn't understand it and didn't seem to apply to me.

Https://db.tt/KeoYyXW0
https://db.tt/8aNM5uBV
Last edited by Hofmann on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hofmann

Postby Hofmann on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:04 am

Also Matt advised me not to buy his single Din insert to replace the original radio. I believe him because even the hood isn't exactly an awesome fit to the dash. He said get a vy one and when it turned out they don't exist he said vx. I got that and it certainly doesn't fit. At over 70 bucks mitsubishi appear to be out of their minds. What did you guys use?

One final question. ..I think. ..I got the forward camera with recording box and my auto electrician said it was a seperate system to the head unit. Can I not somehow connect it to the aux camera port for viewing?
Hofmann

Postby Hofmann on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:04 pm

just thought I might bump myself in case my posts got missed. cheers guys.
Hofmann

Postby motoz on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Hofmann wrote:just thought I might bump myself in case my posts got missed. cheers guys.

Nice work hoff,

p.s say G 'day to pammy for me

;)
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:49 pm

Hofmann wrote:One final question. ..I think. ..I got the forward camera with recording box and my auto electrician said it was a seperate system to the head unit. Can I not somehow connect it to the aux camera port for viewing?

Yes, you can. Should just be RCA connections.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby gaspode on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Does anyone know if Dig Options have the new ipod lead available for the head unit yet?
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:41 pm

Probably best to email Matt.

No doubt he will get them but when will be the question...

Be hard to keep up with all the technology these days :roll:
salt36
Valued Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical