A Question For Anyone Who is Electrically Minded

A Question For Anyone Who is Electrically Minded

Postby Raz89 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:47 am

Hey guys

Rito so this is whats happening. I am putting in my 7" DVD player this weekend and I want to install it legally (connect the handbrake wire up so that unless the handbrake is on the DVD player will only show a blue screen) But the problem I have is I also want to be able to Play DVDs when I have a passenger, so I'm thinking of adding a switch and teeing into the handbrake wire that goes into the back of the DVD player. Here is where the real question starts. I bought a switch from Super Cheap but it is a powered switch (illuminates blue when the switch is on, it has 3 pins: +ve in, -ve in and accessorie out). I have read other forums and they say the easy way to fix the blue screen is earth out the handbrake wire instead of connecting it to the handbrake. As my switch is powered would this mean I can't use them? Because if i have a powered switch would this be pushing electricty to the DVD player or is this the same as eathing it out. Below are some diagrams which I hope can clear this up.

This one shows what I intend to do.
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr35 ... iagram.jpg

This image shows what I think I will have to do (unluckily, meaning i cant have an illuminated switch)
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr35 ... iagram.jpg

Would anyone know if I can use the powered switch so I can tell if its on or off. I am also looking at doing this for my reversing camera as well, but will use the same principles. If all else fails I will go see an auto electrician.

Cheers

Raz
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Raz89

Re: A Question For Anyone Who is Electrically Minded

Postby daryn on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi Raz,

I cant help you with your questions but my installer just did a standard install of my DVD player with no special requests from me and it works just like what you are intending to do with yours, I am not aware of anything special done at all.

D
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Sapient on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:16 pm

gday Raz,

just so happens there are a number of electrically minded types among us.

The DVD player appears to be looking for ground or earth before allowing you to play DVD. so when handbrake is OFF the handbrake wire is connected to ground. when the handbrake is ON the wire will be open circuit its safe to assume.

So you might want it to look something like this:
Click to view larger picture

So whenever the switch is ON and the handbrake OFF the LED will light up. Some iluminated switches have only 2 pins, but usually make the connection shown on the bottom inside the switch. Check the wiring diagram that came with the switch to confirm.

Cheers
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jitsukablue on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:00 pm

I'd help you out but can't see those images till I get home...
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Return to Electrical