Reversing Cameras

Re: Reversing Cameras

Postby Greedy on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:26 am

I removed the frame around the number plate (mainly due to gratuitous advertising by the stealer) then used the plate mounting bolts. Now I just have to get the b$%^&d working. Laziness and rain are my main issues. Will run through the car pc screen which is in place of the useless trip computer.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Naff on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:25 pm

I got one of the cheap options off the DealExtreme website (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4085) and installed it over the weekend. For $94, I'm pretty impressed. Will see how it holds up over the bumps on the weekend but don't see why it would be a problem.

Nice and easy to install - I went for the screw in option instead of double sided tape as I couldn't see that lasting long. Then I just connected to the reversing light wire on the left hand side and had to run the cable for the screen up through the guts following the rest of the wires, poked it through the firewall and all done. I even impressed myself with the short amount of time it took (normally with me, if I think it will take 2 hours I need to set aside a whole day).

Click to view larger picture Click to view larger picture Click to view larger picture

Now I'm just going to put in some fog lights for reversing - still can't see anything at night with the piddly lights provided.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ArrowsWA on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:15 pm

Naff, I finally fitted mine on Sunday (bought 2 weeks ago,but alas was too late because Sat night I bumped into a parked car whilst reversing (bugga all damage but enough to make me get off my arse and install the kit) $104.00 ex S/creeps about 2 hours of swearing to fit it, seems to work fine though (tiny 2 1/2 inch screen) brand is Aerpro.
And yes I left my phone nbr on the other cars windshield, for those wondering, makes no difference gotta pay $250.00 to RAC for access anyway, lucky got full no claims prob $500.00 damage to mine and less to the dark blue cunningly camouflaged Sonata I tapped (dark unlit carpark)
caught on the very rear quarter where the factory rear deflector is place (peach sized dent as a result)

Conclusion
(So yeah worth getting the camera as rear vision is poor and with canopy fitted its worse still) make sure it has night vision capability though
Live life now, Tomorrow might not get here
ArrowsWA

Postby Greedy on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:14 am

Got mine working now. It is a cheapy from China that was tossed in with the screen I bought. Works a treat through the day but takes a little time to adjust when in full sunlight. At night, the picture tends to wash out a bit at distance but fine for close up. Works automatically when reverse is selected. 8-)

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tryhard on Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:53 pm

I bought one for each of our previous vehicles, the Swann ones from Dick Smith at $199 each. One stopped working a couple of months after installation, as far as I can tell from a faulty wireless sender thingy. Didn't get a chance to return it before we sold the vehicle. The other still works but the screens at 2.5 inch are pretty hard to see. Reasonably easy to fit, they do work day and night, but the detail on the screen with my eyesight would benefit from another bit of screen real estate.

Cheers
---

MY10 MN GLX-R 2.5 DiD Auto gunmetal grey
tryhard

Postby Greedy on Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:22 pm

Mine works through 7" screen in place of the useless trip computer. Much easier on the eyes.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-RSilver on Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:52 pm

I'm installing a reverse car with a 7inch screen which clips over the rear view mirror unless i buy a eonon 906 gps unit.
GLX-RSilver

Postby Greedy on Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:45 pm

Silver, Weren't you thinking along the car pc track at one stage. I've finally got mine installed now running gps, music, video and reverse camera. will have obd shortly

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-RSilver on Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:33 pm

Hey greedy yeah i was have you got any pics on yours? I've had my 7 inch screen for years just have to decide which way to go. I would prefer a unit like yours
GLX-RSilver

Postby Greedy on Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:49 pm

At this stage, it's only sitting under the front passenger seat with a shitload of wires everywhere. I will tidy it up one day but the main aim is to have it mounted either behind the back seat or in the tub. The back seat isn't an option at the moment due to 2 child seats conflicting with the need to tinker with it. The tinkering is almost finished now. The screen I got is also designed to fit headrests. It fits in it's own surround which enabled me just to cut two slots in the mounting towers from the dodgy trip computer to mount it. I had to continue this slot through the floor of this mounting as well to get the correct height but very happy with the result. I'm more than happy with it for about $700.
Click to view larger picture

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Austblue on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Is that $700 total? Pretty good if it is. I really need to bite the bullet but considering I haven't even made the time to install my ipod cable I don't think it'll happen soon :(
Austblue

Postby Greedy on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:56 pm

Yep. total cost. I'll put up a thread when I get screen shots of the various functions.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-RSilver on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:22 am

hi there greedy what computer did you get and where from?
You couldn't pm me some pics of it?
Cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby Greedy on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:35 am

The details of it are in my profile. I also took some screen shots this morning so will upload those tomorrow and start a thread. I've still got about $200 to spend on OBD2 software/hardware if the trouble and strife lets me free with the card. Also, have to work on embedding OziExplorer although I may have to visit the darkside to get that done. It's not super quick but does the job nicely. Unfortunately, a bit busy to get it done today. I don't have any photos of the computer internals but if I get a free hour can pull it down if you like. I will also post links to the hardware I have purchased.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:11 am

Oh yeah!!! have to get rid of the bloody Honda logo and replace it with a mitsi or triton logo. :oops:

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby oneilln on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:58 pm

Hey Triton,

I just picked up a Reverse Camera similiar to yours with the monitor being embedded into the rear view mirror. How did you route the cable from the monitor through to the camera?

I'm assuming that the hardest part is getting it from the monitor to the underneath of the car, then it would be fairly easy?

Cheers,

Nick
oneilln

Postby Eelesy on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:38 pm

This is where i had my cam mounted, good to see bihind but utterly useless for judging distance, i couldnt get enuf of a downward angle on it.

All tho now i have custom plates and the cam is gone, i dont wanna hole saw thru the new ones!

Click to view larger picture
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby oneilln on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:44 pm

Heya, mind came with an adjustable bracket so angle shouldn't be an issue. I'd like to know what the best route is to run the cable from the monitor to the camera in the read. I was thinking down the right front pillar, then through the firewall, then down underneath the car and tray to the back using cable tie to hold the cable.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Nick
oneilln

Postby Greedy on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:17 pm

The easiest grommet I have found on the fire wall is the big bugger just in behind the fuel filter on the passenger side held in by two bolts. I'm no interior guru though but I would have tried up behind the trim on passenger side then follow the edge of the windscreen. Passenger side chassis rail already has wiring/piping along it so cable ties are easy. Fuel tank is the tightest spot but not that hard really

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby oneilln on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:21 pm

That's awesome dude, will give it a go. I'll try to remember to take photos and will post.

Cheers,

Nick
oneilln

Postby Greedy on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:17 am

oneilln wrote:I'll try to remember to take photos and will post.

I'll be very interested in pics showing interior lining, headlining removal etc. They might get me keen for making a roof console. ;) I'm also thinking of wireless net and GPS antennas on the roof just above the mirror if I can find an antenna that's small enough.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:20 pm

There is a large rubber plug on the floor behind passenger seat. From there it's an easy run back along the chassis rail to the rear and under the plastic trims at the bottom of the door frames through to the dash. Poke a hole in the plug, run your cable and seal it up with a bit of silicone sealant.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Eelesy on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:36 am

Thats where i have my cables running, except mine is thru the rubber grommet under the passenger seat, kind of a bugger cos u have to take the seat out to access it
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Grover on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:34 am

I bought one of those Supercheap Auto $249 wireless camers as well. It works well easy to install and apart from picking up other clutter on 2.4Ghz it works well. I am thinking of installing reversing sensors as well though so mayeb if u are getting a camera buy one with senors.
Grover

Postby oneilln on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:14 pm

Hey Grover,

I installed my "wired" reverse camera on the weekend, it really was quite easy so if you're looking at something that has no issues once installed, I recommend the wired reverse cameras that are integrated into your rear vision mirror. I will make a posting soon with photos etc but very quickly, I routed the cable along the edge of the windscreen jsut up under the lining. You only need to take off the sunvisor and it gives you enough slack to put the cable up there. I then ran the cable along the deal seal, there is an awesome groove that the cable sits very comfy in, no chance of moving or rattling. I ran it down the door to the corner where the plastic cover is. This is where the S-Video cable (used for power, video, control etc) ended and split into the reverse toggler, positive and negative power, video 1 and video 2. I used the space in this corner to join the cables. I then ran the power up above the passenger feet area and then into the bottom of the centre console behind the plastic, up to where the 12 volt power supply is. This turns on the monitor (reverse mirror) when the keys are in accessories mode.

The reverse toggle and video 2 input I ran along the door trim to the feet area of the rear passenger feet area where there is a grommet about 15cm into the carpet. I ran the cable through here, found another set of cables and attached the new cabling to these and ran to rear of car. The video 2 input connected directly to the camera. The camera had power also that I attached to the reverse light, and the reverse toggle I connected to the positive power on the reverse light also.

Speaking of reverse sensors, I accidently bought two reverse camera systems, one of ebay and the other off graysonline. I installed the eBay camera and it worked a treat. The graysonline version comes with a slightly smaller, but more visually pleasing, integrated rear view mirror that clips onto the existing mirror. It also has the reverse parking sensors so you have sound and visual when reversing. The reverse parking sensors are red but could easily be spray painted to whatever your car colour is. If you're keen I'll post some photos and you can have it for what I payed, which is $160.

Cheers,

Nick
oneilln

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical