My car computer project

Re: My car computer project

Postby VMN on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:18 am

TrippsTriton wrote:Hi Smeg
reading through the post just a few ??'s
Do you have to turn the dell computer on or come on auto when turn key and drive ?
So do you use the standard cd player anymore or it justs sit there?
Cheers trippstriton

HI guys found this thread and thought I'd post a couple of pics of my laptop Car PC install in the dash of my Hilux. There is heaps more on my buildup on the NewHilux forum here http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic ... 06&start=0

And I have a more detailed buildup over at http://www.mp3car.com under the user name rodweb.

Anyway a bit about my setup first before I get to the start up and shut down controller stuff for laptops.

This is a Xenarc 706TSA monitor I have heavilly modded so I can get to the controls which were on the bottom of the case

Click to view larger picture

Seen here after surgery with an extended ribbon cable for the buttons off eBay

And a few mods to the case to mount it

DVD Player

Screen dump of RoadRunner Front end

I have got Ozi embedded in RoadRunner and worked in with a guy called Bugger in WA to solve the problems with embedding OZI with some clever custom programming
and with the menu up out of the way

However, I found it is still flakey so I tend to run it outside the Car PC

GPS receiver under the plastic windscreen colwing outside the car

Mini keyboard I use occasionally

Not to mention Bluetooth, Wireless Network , OBDII interface (for scangauge features) and reversing camera, JL Amp and JL Splits, Silabs USB FM radio.

Behind the back seat

From Top Left down

Opus dedicated Car PC 150 W power supply (silver)
Laptop power brick (since removed as I am running the Opus at 19 volts to lappy and monitor (which is good to 24 volts)
Xenarc remote input box (black with yellow sticker)
My offroad USB enclosure including 7 port hub, SILAB USB radio, HDD and radio antenna input
JL 2 channel amp (with JL splits in the front doors)
HP Pentium M laptop strapped in an ally cradle I made.

Anyway, lets get to the laptop power on and off. I googled the lappy and found the service manual and stripped it down. I soldered a couple of wires to the power switch and ran them over to the never used modem connector. So I simply plug in a phone line connector which runs up to an external button beside the clock. Pressing this button is exactly the sameas pressing it on the laptop.

The other gadget I added was an on/off/on switch under the glove box which lets me to decide how the Opus Power supply wakes up as follows:
1. On with engine
2. Never On
3. Always on

By default the Opus is configured to control a proper PC not a laptop. On request, after their support people actually phoned me from the US, they sent me upgraded firmware to control a laptop which I was able to flash into the power supply and I spliced in the control wires from the Opus parallel with the switch. I think I have the polarity of the Opus solid state switch wires wrong because it does not work (and I have never bothered to fix it), so I press the button to turn it on as I get in the car and turn it off via the on screen buttons when I get out of the car. I find I prefer it this way. If I stop for fuel or something short, I leave it on and the PC runs off the Lappy batteries but the Opus powers down the screen until I get back in again. On a long trip, I set the PC to stay on all the time with the on-off-on switch and leave it run. If I stop for lunch, I just turn the Screen off then so as not to attract attention.
VMN

Re: My car computer project

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:41 am

nice touch with the DVD drive in the consol lid, wouldn't have thought of that one myself.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Previous

Return to Electrical