Installing new speakers

Re: Installing new speakers

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Others have posted about it too. What did you use to cut yours? I can't remember now whether I went hacksaw blade or something else, only that whatever it was it was a bit rough and ready at the time.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby OffRoadDave on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:37 pm

I used an air powered hacksaw, quick and dirty, but I figured nobody can see in there anyway. I also had to trim the back of the door trim a little as the speaker sits out around 6 mm more than the original speaker.
OffRoadDave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:08 pm

I've recently stumbled upon a couple of things that I thought were interesting in relation to speakers (while searching for other stuff). While I haven't bought any of these things I still thought they might be helpful for anyone who goes down the upgraded speaker path in future.

First off is some things that have all sorts of weird different names on the aliexpress site. Probably the best is speaker rings or speaker spacers. The photos are a bit suspect but what I think these do is replicate the 3 factory fastening points on the factory speakers. If that's correct you would mount your new speakers to these rings and then you'd just mount them in exactly the same way as the factory speakers. They would have saved me a couple of hours if that's what they actually do.

Anyway here's a couple of examples:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mitsubishi-car-speaker-refires-rack-speaker-washer-car-special-speaker-pad/1849450113.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mitsubishi-special-audio-speaker-washer-horn-washer-speaker-pad/1168550858.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Mitsubishi-car-6-5-speaker-refires-rack-speaker-washer-car-special-speaker-pad-1/1195883515.html

Hopefully those links won't all die before they're of some use to someone.

The other thing I found was a fibreglass subwoofer box. I tried to find a thread about subs behind the back seat but gave up so I'll whack it in here. It doesn't look like it would fit a glxr though.

http://r.ebay.com/M6W86n

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture

Cowboy Dave

Postby Big Mike on Fri May 29, 2015 4:39 pm

hey guys not sure if possible but there an after market radio with gps built in. the only thing i would like to keep my steering wheel controls if possible just wondering how i would find out if head unit is compatible
Big Mike

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri May 29, 2015 6:00 pm

Most of the high end double din units will be.

For ease of installation have a look at the dig options and brash imports units online or via eBay. Both will sell you something that is mostly plug and play, steering wheel control compatible and has GPS built in.

Cowboy Dave

Postby BosvarQ on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:35 pm

Good day gents.
i am not much of a writer but thought i'd share this.
i just wanted to thank everybody in this thread for their valuable info.
Today i purchased a set of 6 1/2 inch sony xplods for the front doors. It was really easy to install given a little background in ele trics (because the grey black wire was actually the positive :shock: ) and woodworking so i can make up the spacers.

If anybody in the Perth region needs a hand, flick us a PM.

Not going to brag about it, just wanted to say thanks gents.

Cheers
BosvarQ
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:50 pm

Good onya mate. Plenty of people get that benefit but never say a word, so it's nice to see when it does happen.

Cowboy Dave

Speaker upgrade

Postby chootsnbubsnpickles on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi all!
Ive recently bought a 2015 glx MN and Im looking to upgrade the speakers as the stock ones sound terrible (very flat, not much treble and bass isnt very "punchy") I have no idea about tweeters, splits and all that technical audiophile stuff just looking to upgrade existing speakers. I have a couple of questions.
1. Can anyone tell me what size and wattage the stock speakers are? The manual or anything i can find online doesnt seem to tell me! Also im confident i could replace them myself after reading about it and watching youtube tutorials etc but i dont want to have to cut in to anything.
2. Any suggestions for what brand/type of speakers sound good?
I listen to heavy metal music (if that helps) also due to not wanting to cut bigger holes in door or anything, is there a brand of speaker that fits perfectly into the cavity without having to make anything to pack it out or make it fit. And not looking to spend hundreds of dollars!

Thanks
chootsnbubsnpickles

Re: Speaker upgrade

Postby sydneymark on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:51 am

sorry to say but it's gonna cost you hundreds and hundreds of $$$, thousands even if you want it to sound good

chootsnbubsnpickles wrote:Hi all!
Ive recently bought a 2015 glx MN and Im looking to upgrade the speakers as the stock ones sound terrible (very flat, not much treble and bass isnt very "punchy") I have no idea about tweeters, splits and all that technical audiophile stuff just looking to upgrade existing speakers. I have a couple of questions.
1. Can anyone tell me what size and wattage the stock speakers are? The manual or anything i can find online doesnt seem to tell me! Also im confident i could replace them myself after reading about it and watching youtube tutorials etc but i dont want to have to cut in to anything.
I listen to heavy metal music (if that helps) also due to not wanting to cut bigger holes in door or anything, is there a brand of speaker that fits perfectly into the cavity without having to make anything to pack it out or make it fit. And not looking to spend hundreds of dollars!

Thanks
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Speaker upgrade

Postby ag9111 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:12 pm

chootsnbubsnpickles wrote:Hi all!

Thanks

Most aftermarket speakers in the 6" to 6 1/2" range will be more biased towards the mid and upper ranges so you will lose the bass side of things. I don't know if you can get a decent aftermarket speaker in that size range that will produce decent bass.
I used a separate subwoofer mounted in the rear floor for the bass.
I know you can get slimline subwoofers for mounting under the seat. Cheapest is available from Jaycar and they come with inbuilt amps
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:27 pm

If you get splits they should be okay for bass. Mine are anyway. I went the whole hog and got an amp and a slimline sub as well so I guess I'm spoiled for choice now but the front splits still do okay on the low stuff IMHO.

Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:50 pm

My front Focal splits have almost no bass response

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:01 pm

Buy some clarions like mine?

Cowboy Dave

Postby joshtaylor87 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:09 pm

I agree with ag9111...I went with a set of Focal 165AS running from 60wrms Soundstream amp and found the bass and midbass quite lacking. Swapped that setup out for Polk MM6501 running off 125wrms Polk amp and these have a much nicer sounding tweeter and midbass is better than the Focals. However I've found that the biggest problem is stopping the doors from rattling. I've dynamated both sides of inside the door cavity as well as the front face of the door and the back of the door trim and still get rattles/vibrations at higher volumes.

I believe if I seal all the access holes off with mdf/acrylic/chopping board etc and dynamat over that (creating almost a sealed enclosure for the midbass drivers) it would possibly alleviate the rattles/vibrations a bit more and also bring out a bit more bass/midbass from the drivers. But I'm so over messing around with it at the moment I'm just trying to enjoy it for what it is for now. It also helps hugely that I've made a custom fibreglass enclosure for a 10" MM1040 Polk sub that sits in the rear passenger side footwell (I have a baby seat installed on that seat so I don't need to worry about the legroom for another few years).

My biggest tip would be to spend as much as you can on a decent set of components(splits) as you get what you pay for. And spend the time to do a decent install with plenty of sound deadening and sealing off all the access holes the best you can. But even then you'll never be able to achieve what a decent sub can add to a setup.
joshtaylor87

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:51 pm

I was actually quite happy with the performance of the Response speakers I installed back in the first post of this thread. Being 3-way and down in the doors the top end was lost but some cheap tweeters fixed that and they were only held back by the head unit.

In the Pajero I've installed 6.5" Sony splits which I actually don't think are as good. Maybe an amp would drive them a bit better. CD's are similar and sound much better with the amp (plus about 400kg of Dynamat :P ).
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Maxiy on Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:16 pm

I believe if I seal all the access holes off with mdf/acrylic/chopping board etc and dynamat over that (creating almost a sealed enclosure for the midbass drivers) it would possibly alleviate the rattles/vibrations a bit more and also bring out a bit more bass/midbass from the drivers.

I sealed and dynamatted the doors in my lancer when i installed my DLS Iridium 6.5 splits, made the world of difference. smoothed out the bass and midbass, made it a lot more punchy.

My biggest tip would be to spend as much as you can on a decent set of components(splits) as you get what you pay for. And spend the time to do a decent install with plenty of sound deadening and sealing off all the access holes the best you can. But even then you'll never be able to achieve what a decent sub can add to a setup

Agreed. I have had many speakers over the years, ranging from $400 splits and 6x9's to the current set of DLS splits i have which set me back $1600 when i bought them. I have had the DLS splits for almost 8 years now (the 3 sets i had previous lasted 2 years combined). Never looking back. These combined with a DLS X-Program 800 watt 4 channel amp make for a truly great listening experience
Maxiy

Postby perryano on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:35 pm

What's everyone done with the factory tweeters on the mn's. Are they any good? Would a good set of 3 way splits be better than using the tweeters there and just disconnect them.
perryano

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:56 pm

They're a pretty common size so easy to replace if you buy the right set of speakers

Cowboy Dave

Postby 08glxr on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:42 pm

i cut mine out and was able to fit 25mm tweeters in the hole
08glxr

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:18 pm

You can also buy a little pre-cut pod on eBay to replace the original tweeter housing.

Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:36 am

I used a little silastic, neutral cure, to hold my tweeters into the trim on my GLR. Already had perforations in the grill so no need to do anything. They were a pretty tight fit so maybe didn't even need the silastic.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby OffRoadDave on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:06 am

I fitted some Alpine splits, I just copied the factory way of fixing the tweeters in the trim, put a flat bar across the back of the tweeters with self tapping screws into the posts provided in the trim
OffRoadDave

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:43 am

These may be of interest......

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubishi-L ... SwYGFUvjn5

I also noted that the OEM speakers are the same as Lancer, so it might make finding off-the-shelf adapters easier.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:18 am

These are the little pods. NFI if they're any good, but they look interesting.

http://r.ebay.com/EKdVwf

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:22 am

Consider also something like these, which will make mounting the main speakers painfully simple using the original mounting holes. Note also that there are cheaper examples on AliExpress.

http://r.ebay.com/hwaXag

Again I've not used them, but wish I had as they look like they'd have made life much easier.

Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical