Show us your Switches

Re: Show us your Switches

Postby nealh82 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:18 pm

I'm thinking of putting these switches in to control a roof mounted light bar under my roofracks and a smaller, maybe a 4" rear facing LED light bars on either side of the headboard that i could swivel 90 degrees so they can either both face backwards, or have 1 facing left, 1 facing right... like the alley lights on police cars or taxis.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Black-Metal-Switch-Latching-Push-Button-Blue-Led-/251039013075?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a731758d3

the switches are 35mm deep.

Thinking of putting them on the little flat section of panel above the AC controls, I've got an ML GLS with the fancy trip computer thing up there. Does anyone know if they'll fit here? I don't feel up to pulling the panel apart tonight to check and was hoping one of you gents had an idea.

thanks
nealh82

Postby greenystoughtriton on Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Hey all got a question for the MN owners or other models could help... i have an MN and have just bought some nice custom rocker switches and need to know where i can find a 12v accessories feed and what the wire colours would be awesome and a wiring diagram would be excellent thanks all.
greenystoughtriton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:01 pm

The people who wired mine in did something like you'll see in this thread: http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13548&p=330354&hilit=spade#p329467

It's a bit quick and dirty but it's easy to do and easy to remove if you change your mind or get it wrong.

Depending on where you're putting the switches one of the other options is to come off the harness for the cigarette lighter at the bottom of the dash. You'll see a couple of different illuminated items down there so you could splice into one of them for illumination of the switches for when you turn your headlights/parkers on.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby sinisterdexta on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:20 am

can I ask where most of you have gotten your switches for the dash?

im trying to get an aftermarket switch to fit into the original pull out dash sections but most aftermarket ones are not wide enough or too long.

any suggestions?

thanks
sinisterdexta

Postby ag9111 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:07 am

sinisterdexta wrote:can I ask where most of you have gotten your switches for the dash?

im trying to get an aftermarket switch to fit into the original pull out dash sections but most aftermarket ones are not wide enough or too long.

any suggestions?

thanks

No aftermarket switches exist AFAIK. Some Lancer and Pajero switches fit, if you can get the correct part No
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:07 pm

If you want factory look switches then you can get those which are made for late series Lancer, Generation 4 Pajero or the 380. There are a couple of overseas models also.

Thye choice is limited to what was available in those models but this could work, depending on your needs. For example, Mitsubishi 380:

Click to view larger picture

Here are some Pajero switches that will be going into my Paj:

If you wanted to change the logo on a switch you could just respray the face and then get the logo of your choice engraved on. Factory switches offer the advantage of being able to be connected to the instrument lights (so you can find it at night) and in many cases can also be wired up so that the telltale lights up in the instrument panel.

There are a couple of issues with using factory switches. Firstly not all the mounts are the same. This can usually be overcome with a little judicious cutting. Secondly, Mitsubishi have a penchant for using momentary switches and using the ETACS ECU to control the circuit. All good but if you're using the switch for a different application you will need a latching relay that will switch on and off using a single switch. These can be a bit hard to get but are available and you don't have to pay $70 either.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby BJ323 on Tue May 13, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi guys, thought I'd share my two cents on switches. Not finished yet but you get the idea. I removed the console and unscrewed the little storage tray in front of the gear sticks and replaced it with a flat piece of perspex. Then bunged all the holes in it for switches and warning lights. I had to cut some pointless piece of plastic out from under the tray as well.

Cheers
Brad.

1/2014 MN Triton 4x4 2.5 TD Dual Cab
Aluminium canopy, ARB Bullbar, Dual Battery, ARB Bash Plates
CURRENTLY WAITING FOR SECOND ENGINE REPLACEMENT!
BJ323

Postby motoz on Tue May 13, 2014 9:22 pm

BJ323 wrote:Hi guys, thought I'd share my two cents on switches. Not finished yet but you get the idea. I removed the console and unscrewed the little storage tray in front of the gear sticks and replaced it with a flat piece of perspex. Then bunged all the holes in it for switches and warning lights. I had to cut some pointless piece of plastic out from under the tray as well.

Cheers
Brad.

Nice work mate.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Crash486 on Wed May 14, 2014 11:18 am

Great spot for them and very neat!
Crash486

Postby Snooozy on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:00 pm

just ordered one of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301217631868 ... 1423.l2649

the switch I have on the spotties has always annoyed me

will post a pic when its fitted
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby cjsxrt on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:22 pm

Click to view larger picture my switchers in the sunglass pocket
cjsxrt

Postby alex_m_84 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:08 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Click to view larger picture

Can anyone tell me where you can get these factory sized light switches? I want to run my spot light switch in the space where the blank currently is like 5th has here
Last edited by alex_m_84 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alex_m_84

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:50 pm

Dave? That's my Triton. :shock:

Lightforce now make a switch that matches the Triton/Pajero style. Also similar available from TJM.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby alex_m_84 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:26 pm

Haha, sorry mate.
Night shift tonight.

I've had a look at lightforce and can't see anything. Same for TJM.

Where did you get your little light switch? or is that a factory one that came with your car?
alex_m_84

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:51 pm

Cowboy Dave

Postby alex_m_84 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:48 am

$39... wowzers. That's what i paid for 5 carling style rocker switches.

Maybe i can steal a mates one :)

I'll check out what else may fit, otherwise looks like that one will be the best
alex_m_84

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:59 am

I notice you say carling 'style' rather than genuine carling. Pretty sure I've paid more than $20 each for the genuine carlings with the laser etching. They come without wiring of course whereas this one has a small custom loom and of course is made to fit that very spot.

Mitsubishi does a genuine driving light loom - details are around here somewhere. I seem to recall that has a switch that looks right but if memory serves it's even more pricey than the above.

If you do a search on Mitsubishi light switch on ebay (or other similar searches) you'll probably find used switches that will look okay but then you'll have to work out how to wire the bloody things.

Anyway good luck with it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby alex_m_84 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:39 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:I notice you say carling 'style' rather than genuine carling. Pretty sure I've paid more than $20 each for the genuine carlings with the laser etching. They come without wiring of course whereas this one has a small custom loom and of course is made to fit that very spot.

Mitsubishi does a genuine driving light loom - details are around here somewhere. I seem to recall that has a switch that looks right but if memory serves it's even more pricey than the above.

If you do a search on Mitsubishi light switch on ebay (or other similar searches) you'll probably find used switches that will look okay but then you'll have to work out how to wire the bloody things.

Anyway good luck with it.

Yeah, they are not genuine carlings. But if you open a switch up, there's nothing to them. i ran them in my hilux for 3 years and never had a problem. Plus some of the stuff i have switched they don't do "pre-labelled" ones for, so there was no point getting some labelled and some not. I just made up my own labeling.

I'll see what i can find. otherwise i'll just cut the hole out and run a rocker switch
alex_m_84

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:26 am

You can always go custom - customrockers.com.au locally and there's a cheaper place in the states linked to somewhere on the forum. I had some non-genuine ones and the plastic tabs kept breaking so the switch bit could fall off the front.

I notice jaycar are selling their own rockers now. They sell labels to go onto the plain white lit square (well it looks white but they're backlit in colour). With the right clear label tape you could probably DIY those too.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Snooozy on Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:35 pm

Lightforce Switch.jpg

I have one of these, yet to install it though. Looks good & comes with wiring, is also back-lit

One thing I did notice is that the small lugs(for want of a better description) that hold it in the surround are not quite right & need a little modification.
Not a major issue, just a little annoying.

This is on an 09 ML. Other models may be ok.

When I get around to fitting it I will tack some pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bigjobs on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Snooozy wrote:One thing I did notice is that the small lugs(for want of a better description) that hold it in the surround are not quite right & need a little modification.
Not a major issue, just a little annoying.

This is on an 09 ML. Other models may be ok.

When I get around to fitting it I will tack some pics

Same deal with my 2014 MN, had to file the notch in the surround a little bit larger to make it fit.

The reason is that they seem to have made it arse-about.

There are two notches on opposite sides of the surround on the MY14, one large and one small with corresponding lugs on the switch... if you plug it in the logical way, the switch will be upside down! :-)

So I just filed the smaller notch out a bit to make the larger lug fit... all sweet.
bigjobs

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Ah now that is interesting. AG9111 and I scored free samples of a switch with the same shape etc a few years back. Anyway long story short - they fit but when you looked at the little light symbol it was facing the opposite way to anywhere else on the vehicle where that symbol appeared - so it was upside down. Sounds like they've used the same mold. I wonder if the actual button would pop off? Easier to rotate that than start filing stuff maybe?

Cowboy Dave

Postby Snooozy on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Ah now that is interesting. AG9111 and I scored free samples of a switch with the same shape etc a few years back. Anyway long story short - they fit but when you looked at the little light symbol it was facing the opposite way to anywhere else on the vehicle where that symbol appeared - so it was upside down. Sounds like they've used the same mold. I wonder if the actual button would pop off? Easier to rotate that than start filing stuff maybe?

Yeah, I looked at flipping the button but due to the way they are assembled that's not an option.

as bigjobs said, just cut/file the slot a little bigger & it should be fine
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aus_andyk on Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:55 am

aus_andyk

Postby Snooozy on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:39 pm

looks good fitted 8-)
the roo symbol lights up with the dash lights & there is an indicator to show when the spotties are on.

need to find another switch to fill the other spot now
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical