Airbag Warning Light

Airbag Warning Light

Postby Grumpybear on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:49 am

Last Friday started the car and the airbag warning light stayed on.

Was only 5 mins from a stealer so I Called and asked if they could have a look. (Car is only 4 weeks old) Promptly told No Too Busy.

Words exchanged then phone call ended without resolution.

Drove straight to Knox Mitsub and the senior service advisor drove the car straight into the workshop.

15 minutes later came back with possible crush sensor fault as they couldn't remove the error code.

He questioned the Bull Bar which has been on for 5500kms (Yes lots o kms for 1 mth old car) so i ruled that one out.

The only thing i could suggest was it had been pressure blassted 3 times in 2 days to remove dirt and crap from the easter trip. He wasn't supportave of this possibility but thats o.k. I wouldn't have been too happy if a little bit of water was going to cause a problem it is a 4x4 after all.

Any ways Knox gets the nod they are going to have a look at the ineffective air con problem that a different dealer wanted none of at first service . Oh and this dealer replaced the glovebox but not the original lock so now i have a non locking glove box???

im batting 1 for 3 on the dealer front and have to say Knox is coming up trumps. They said i should never have been turned away no matter how busy a service centre is.
Cheers
Grumpybear
Pain is just weakness leaving the body
Grumpybear

Re: Airbag Warning Light

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:47 am

Grumpybear wrote:Words exchanged then phone call ended without resolution.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby Greedy on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:29 pm

I hope you get the airbag light sorted quickly. I had the same problem which took 5 visits to resolve. Each time they'd take the car for the day, clear the code then tell me it was fixed. Every time it stayed on after I started the car to drive it home. On the 5th visit, they finally got an auto sparky in who found a loose connector behind the drivers kick panel. Every time they assured me they'd test driven it and it never came on for them. Bullshit wears thin after a while and they haven't seen the car since.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby cyberhonky on Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:32 pm

Grumpybear wrote:im batting 1 for 3 on the dealer front and have to say Knox is coming up trumps.

LMAO- yep, Blue loves Knox too :D
Grammar: Lesson 1- Capitalisation.

Capitalisation (n), is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:24 pm

Grumpybear wrote:
Words exchanged then phone call ended without resolution.

:lol: I am picturing this taking place with a Grumpybear :lol:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby dlw on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:35 am

I sunk my truck last year and most my electrics didn't work for a while :( then the airbag light came on and is still on, the stealer plugged it in and told me they could not communicate with the airbag!!! Now since you have mentioned the crush sensor I might have a look.

Grumpybear, do you know where the sensor is??

dlw
dlw

Postby Grumpybear on Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:57 am

dlw wrote:I sunk my truck last year and most my electrics didn't work for a while :( then the airbag light came on and is still on, the stealer plugged it in and told me they could not communicate with the airbag!!! Now since you have mentioned the crush sensor I might have a look.

Grumpybear, do you know where the sensor is??

dlw

Sorry mate "I'm a retarded Buck" (No eye Deer) in the front somewhere possibly near the front of the guards so i've been told. I will find out eventually.....I suppose........perhaps.....or possibly MMAL Customer Service will call again and ask if I'm happy with my purchase and when i say well actually there are a couple of issues, I will be promplty told again...."You will have to consult the dealer regarding that" Are you happy with your Triton?????
Cheers
Grumpybear
Grumpybear

Postby tookie on Fri May 22, 2009 6:55 pm

hi my new 09 vr , has only done 5,000 kms and srs warn light stay on , rang stearler, they had look said have to order part from japan , wait two weeks :evil: :evil: not good for brand new ute :evil: :evil:
tookie

Postby Jiminy on Sat May 23, 2009 7:09 am

I had problems with mine, a faulty seat belt sensor, first 2 times it was fixed, it would come back on within a week. Third time fixed at last service, seems to have done the trick.
Jiminy

Postby dlw on Sat May 23, 2009 6:06 pm

Jiminy wrote:I had problems with mine, a faulty seat belt sensor, first 2 times it was fixed, it would come back on within a week. Third time fixed at last service, seems to have done the trick.

Jiminy did the air bag light come on because of the seatbelt sensor? Mine might be on for the same reason but because of water damage :)
dlw

Postby Jiminy on Sun May 24, 2009 8:00 am

I was told it was a seat belt sensor, but my truck hasn't been in the water. I suspect they just plug it into the computer, read the fault code and then reset it. I suspect I just have a faulty connection orsomething like that. The dealer was good about it, I assume most cars will get a faulty sensor at some time.
Jiminy

Postby Grumpybear on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:32 pm

Happend again.....

2 days of solid rain and the light is back on.

Ute has been in with dealer for 1 week now without correspondence.

The crush sensors are located either side of the radiator about 6 or 8 inches down from the top of the grill. looks like a grey plug retained with 2 bolts.

They said they replaced them but without and new spanner marks i'm suspicious.......

I will now start to suggest seatbelt and steering wheel sensors??

Who knows?
Cheers
Grumpybear
Grumpybear

Postby new44 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:44 pm

My ute had the airbag light on just before I took delivery.
They said they took a computer out of another ute to fix it. :o
new44

Postby Grumpybear on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:01 am

new44 wrote:My ute had the airbag light on just before I took delivery.
They said they took a computer out of another ute to fix it. :o

Yep thats what they did with mine too but also said there was corrosion on the terminals of "The Big Yellow Plug" behind the right kick pannel.

In 4 days the car created that much moisture............it caused corrosion?

Hopefully picking it up tonight and they can show me "The Big Yellow Plug" and the scratch marks to remove the corrosion and that they have used contact spray........
Cheers
Grumpybear
Grumpybear

Postby Greedy on Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:15 pm

The airbag light has come on again in mine. Last time, it took them 5 goes to find the problem. :roll: Tempted just to leave the bloody thing on so I don't have to deal with the morons at the local dealer.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby IML07 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:35 am

A mate of mine had a similar issue but in his Peugot 205 hatch (i know its not a triton) after many days that ended up as weeks in the work shops, Peugot disconnected his airbag to 'rid of the issue'. My mates wife had an accident with a larger vehicle, the airbag didnt deploy (unbeknown to the driver that the airbag was dissconnected), insurance didnt cover them because of the before mentioned(as it became a faulty vehicle). So my little warning/safety tip is, somehow (if you can) makesure that your airbag does not get dissconnect to stop any faulty sensor/light reoccuring. As you will lose out in the end.......
Regards,

James (IML07)
IML07

Postby Greedy on Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:26 pm

Finally, built up enough warranty issues to make it worthwhile going to the dealership to get the bloody airbag light turned off again. At least this time, it went off after I started it in their carpark. 8-)

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Triton-Alex on Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:57 pm

I modificated my signal horn into German Police Siren which can switch to a Stebel compressor horn by an hidden switch. For this I had to work on the wirering behind the steer. For be shure not to blow up the airbag I disconnected the yellow connector (all yellow connectors are belonging to the SRS !).
After had finished my modifications, I connected this yellow connector again, but from now on the Airbag Warning Light burned.
I went to the Mitsu dealer on Phuket for reset the system, but it wasn´t possible, because the service computer wasn´t able to connect with the airbag controller.
The mechanics opened everything and I had to leave my Triton there over night - next day in the afternoon they called me for can pick up my car.
They told me because of my additional wirering the cables of the SRS has been too tight and now everything would be o.k. - this incident was 3 month ago, I had no further problems with the SRS, but I am not shure, if they replaced the controllbox without telling me.
For this service the charged me about 10 Euro :D

Some of you are thinking the problem might be humidity in the airbag sensor - in my oppinion this isn´t possible, because such sensors has to be 100% waterproof - may be water came into the connector and cause a problem when the controllbox is checking the system on malfunctions, but I am quite shure this isn´t possible too.

By the way:

I am electronic engineer and worked about 20 years for the automotive industrie Research + Development + Testing incl. SRS systems.

Alex
I´m German - please try to use simple English - thx !
Triton-Alex

Postby erne on Tue May 25, 2010 6:10 pm

Hello Guys I accidentally disconnected the yellow connector plug , because I was looking for the horn cable (the black one) and after I reconnected everything my airbag light stayed on , is there anyway to reset the light without going to the dealer, I am in Africa , have a OBD2 scangauge .? Maybe disconnect the battery for a while?
erne

Postby jacky_moo on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:07 am

I had the same issue with the airbag warning light and it turned out to be a faulty clock spring.
They replaced the clock spring and cleared the code and it has not come back yet... *touchwood*
jacky_moo

Postby YogiOz on Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:49 pm

Same for me - spring replaced, warning light off.
Mick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some people are like a Slinky; they aren't good for anything, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
YogiOz

Postby pbugg on Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:09 pm

I had the same problem, Zupps on Goldcoast said it most likely was "clock spring" faulty in steering commum, had a lot of problems, had plenty in stock and fixed that day, also replaced the "u bolts" all under warrantee .
Lovely people.
cheers
Peter :D :D :D
pbugg

Postby contact on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:01 pm

clock spring for me too... dealer was good ;)
contact

Postby Adam ace on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:36 pm

I also have seatbelt light on 3mth old MN.Dealer said it was airbag light and spent 1/2 day trying to fix it, question what is a clock spring?
Adam ace

Postby new44 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:54 am

Its a device in the middle of the steering wheel that connects contacts from the air bag to the car computers.
The same wire can also be used by the volume/cruise buttons on the steering wheel to get their signal back to the stereo/ cruise module.

When unwrapped it looks like a flat ribbon about 12mm wide, .5 mm fat, 30 cm long with wires running in it.
It looks a bit like a steel clock spring .

Older cars `that have turned lots of corners` with steering wheel air bags often throw up the dash air bag light when they loose contact for a short time. The dash light most of the time needs to be cleared by an auto elec.
Any other connection (ie seat belt pretensioners) may set the same light off if contact is broken.

cheers
new44

Next

Return to Electrical