Taming the MMCS

Re: Taming the MMCS

Postby kaybee on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:22 am

What seems odd to me is a GPS (especially a high end one as Mitsu seem to think MMCS is....) that doesn't show the vehicle's speed. Or at least mine doesn't. I have had a play with the 2 sets of secret menus (Thanks Cowboy Dave and Davor!) and I see there is a speed input, but I can't see a way to show current speed on the main screen?
kaybee

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:39 am

Yeah but then as it's a built in unit they are relying on the speedo in your dash as being viable.

I think the speed input is more about telling it to blank off the screen controls when you're over 4kmh.

The thing that bothers me is that in other vehicles there is said to be more functionality involved - ditto in the user manual, so why they dumbed it down for Triton owners I don't know.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby kaybee on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:46 pm

Hmm yes I can see why Mitsubishi wouldn't want us to know their speedo is inaccurate. Mine is out by 5kmh at highway speeds which I can deal with but for such a good (and expensive when new) car to have such a fault is ridiculous. Not that I'm telling anybody here anything they don't already know.......
kaybee

Postby daryn on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:50 pm

Supposedly Resource IT are back in action delivering products after a year of absence.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby irwazza on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:27 am

kaybee wrote:Hmm yes I can see why Mitsubishi wouldn't want us to know their speedo is inaccurate. Mine is out by 5kmh at highway speeds which I can deal with but for such a good (and expensive when new) car to have such a fault is ridiculous. Not that I'm telling anybody here anything they don't already know.......

Haven't had a vehicle that isn't 5km out at highway speeds. They all do it.
irwazza

Postby andyj on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:10 pm

daryn wrote:Supposedly Resource IT are back in action delivering products after a year of absence.

Thanks Daryn will try to contact to see about one for the pajero
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby JamoGLXR on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:03 pm

i have the earlier model MMCS override with Ipod connection, grey cable with white ipod connector, grey box. when he was trading as ResourceIT.

the Symptoms: Ipod played, ipod didnt charge, GPS over ride didnt operate (not even the relay pulling in)

the remedy: The cable that comes out of the MMCS for the ipod control has a heat shrink section that drops the 12v down to 5 for the charging of the ipod and feeds 12v to the override. i had to resolder the yellow wire from the MMCS side, the ground wire (bare) from the MMCS side and the two bridges over the cable at either end, i think i damaged them trying to remove the hot glue and heat shrink but one of them had to have failed for this not to work.

tools used: plastic dash removal bars, stanely knife, lone nose pliers, small diagonal side cutters, phillips head screw driver, soldering iron, solder wick, solder, 3rd hand vice, good insulation tape, 2 strands of 6mm2 cable (used to replace the bridge)

i dare say what ever failed was from how it was installed into the vehicle, the soldered connections looked pretty good. its a simple 555 timer circuit which makes a false signal of 2km/h and feeds that into the GPS to make it think its doing <4km/h (i guess to keep it legal for the video function) and all parts should user replaceable aslong as you can solder.

Shoot me a PM if you have similar problems and would like a bit more detailed info.
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby JamoGLXR on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:06 pm

I thought if throw this up here so I have somewhere to come when I need this info again or it may be useful for someone else

SPDIF (Sony/Phillips Digital Interface Format)

NIU yellow shield NIU
Green red brown shield
Blue black orange white
Shield

I've been having a lot of troubles with soldering connections failing. This time I think it was the poor angle the cable was sitting in.
JamoGLXR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:07 pm

I'm confused, where is the spdif connection on an mmcs?

Cowboy Dave

Taming the MMCS

Postby JamoGLXR on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:36 pm

My bad. Next to the SPDIF. Cylinder receptacle for the iPod control. Few too many dark and stormy's

Click to view larger picture
JamoGLXR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Ah. Nice. What are you driving with that?

Do you reckon I could use the rses video out to duplicate the reverse camera feed onto a nexus tablet?

Been ages since I risked borking my mmcs :geek:

Cowboy Dave

Postby JamoGLXR on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:04 pm

no idea but some one has to try
JamoGLXR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:27 pm

Yes I was worried you might say something like that. It can't be all that hard, but the big unknown is whether the rear screens would only show if you were playing video and wouldn't show what the reversing camera does. If that were the case then the whole idea wouldn't work at all. If it would work then I could mount the nexus in front of the MMCS screen and not be worried about losing the reversing camera (which is the one thing I just can't live without).

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Actually come to think of it if I had half a clue I could also graft a music input of some sort into the ipod input cable for music coming out of the nexus.

Cowboy Dave

Postby JamoGLXR on Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:38 pm

I believe in you :D
JamoGLXR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Welcome to the club - you would be member number 1 :oops: :oops: :lol:

Cowboy Dave

Postby MilkmanDan on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:16 pm

So we sold the clubby and picked up a Pajero with the MMCS. Not bad, bit primitive but does the job.

I've had a look at the motion overide kit and don't like the idea of a switch so dig further digging and there are blokes out there that have managed to rewrite the firmware to delete this out of the unit itself. Problem being is I can only find this for EU & US delivered vehicles and have no idea if that will affect ours.

Anyone seen this sort of stuff and know any further?
MilkmanDan

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:58 pm

Not sure on the pajeros but when I looked into it we seemed to be the only ones getting these kenwood versions and most of the overseas mods wouldn't work. I gather the new models have a different version again. There was a bloke in Australia who'd worked a lot of it out but I haven't checked up on that for a while.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Jamo if you're out there? I've been thinking more about the stuff mentioned above. I have a few issues and no answers. So I thought I'd throw them up and see if anyone else has answers.

So first, the spdif out. WTF is up with that? The plug looks the same as an svideo plug, 4 pin mini-din apparently. I can't find anything anywhere about anyone using that style of plug for spdif. There are motherboard headers and stuff that use a straight 4 pin connector so 4 pins is no big problem on its own I guess. Wondering if an svideo to single RCA video cable would give me a digital audio out? Couldn't be that simple could it? And how would I test the bloody thing? If I'm lucky my amp might have a digital in but not too likely.

Now second, the video out. I've located the RSES video out signal pin, and a likely suspect for the ground/shield pin to go with it. So in theory that gives video out and I've now got a video in setup for the nexus tablet. But, there is a field in the test screen to say whether the RSES is connected or not. I'm crap with wiring schematics etc but I think the mmcs wants some sort of signal to say the RSES is in place - not sure what/how/where I could replicate that. Might just connect the video out and see what happens for now.

So, third, audio in. I want to run music on the nexus, through a DAC and out to the speakers. So do I go into the mmcs and out to the amp or straight to the amp bypassing the mmcs altogether? If into the mmcs do I just cut into the inbound sound feed from the composite plugs in the centre console or is there some sneaky way to make it pretend to be the iPod (unlikely). As a further option some of the text about the RSES made it sound like a two way job so that you could play from the rear to the front and back out. If that's right I could bring the sound in there I guess.

4th, just to complicate life, I found an aerpro product yesterday that is basically a DAB+ piggy back device. It's compatible with rds radios and looks to have an adaptor that sits between the antenna plug and head unit, injecting the sound into the antenna signal so you tune to it via fm and it uses rds to display station name and other stuff like that. I would be interested to hear if anyone has used one (unlikely) or if there is any reason that wouldn't work?

Cowboy Dave

Postby JamoGLXR on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:43 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Jamo if you're out there? I've been thinking more about the stuff mentioned above. I have a few issues and no answers. So I thought I'd throw them up and see if anyone else has answers.

I am out there, i dont know how i missed this

So first, the spdif out. WTF is up with that? The plug looks the same as an svideo plug, 4 pin mini-din apparently. I can't find anything anywhere about anyone using that style of plug for spdif. There are motherboard headers and stuff that use a straight 4 pin connector so 4 pins is no big problem on its own I guess. Wondering if an svideo to single RCA video cable would give me a digital audio out? Couldn't be that simple could it? And how would I test the bloody thing? If I'm lucky my amp might have a digital in but not too likely.

The last time i looked that up i think i discovered its a handshake joint audio format between sony and phillips

Now second, the video out. I've located the RSES video out signal pin, and a likely suspect for the ground/shield pin to go with it. So in theory that gives video out and I've now got a video in setup for the nexus tablet. But, there is a field in the test screen to say whether the RSES is connected or not. I'm crap with wiring schematics etc but I think the mmcs wants some sort of signal to say the RSES is in place - not sure what/how/where I could replicate that. Might just connect the video out and see what happens for now.

Maybe a load might be enough to get it working

So, third, audio in. I want to run music on the nexus, through a DAC and out to the speakers. So do I go into the mmcs and out to the amp or straight to the amp bypassing the mmcs altogether? If into the mmcs do I just cut into the inbound sound feed from the composite plugs in the centre console or is there some sneaky way to make it pretend to be the iPod (unlikely). As a further option some of the text about the RSES made it sound like a two way job so that you could play from the rear to the front and back out. If that's right I could bring the sound in there I guess.

I cant know, ive shied away from this until my ipod input has dropped a speaker. I guess its a case of knowing what is digital and i think the Input in the centre console is. The Red yellow and white RCA are usually analogue, and i think the RGBYW is still analogue.

4th, just to complicate life, I found an aerpro product yesterday that is basically a DAB+ piggy back device. It's compatible with rds radios and looks to have an adaptor that sits between the antenna plug and head unit, injecting the sound into the antenna signal so you tune to it via fm and it uses rds to display station name and other stuff like that. I would be interested to hear if anyone has used one (unlikely) or if there is any reason that wouldn't work?

makes sense, a totally clean method of delivery just removing the air medium

sorry for the ssuper late reply and possibly useless info
JamoGLXR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:22 pm

Yeah I kind of stalled a bit just as I was getting going. Not your fault at all. Just lost motivation a bit.

I found a japanese product that does a better job of the item we buy here to make it work while in motion. It generates a speed pulse like the resourceIT item does but it also has a piggyback for the GPS antenna. When you switch it on it hijacks the GPS input as well and tells the unit you're not moving. At that point you can make the display do whatever it would stationary.

I looked into the 4 pin spdif cable and struck out. It seems to be a proprietary cable designed to interface with a particular line of rockford fosgate amps and for the life of me I couldn't find an easily available cable I could just buy and plug in.

I almost bought the Japanese product above but as it was about $200 I started thinking maybe I should just sell the MMCS and buy one of these new android headunits from china rather than persist with making this one do things it was never designed to do?

Cowboy Dave

Postby JamoGLXR on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:21 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Yeah I kind of stalled a bit just as I was getting going. Not your fault at all. Just lost motivation a bit.

I found a japanese product that does a better job of the item we buy here to make it work while in motion. It generates a speed pulse like the resourceIT item does but it also has a piggyback for the GPS antenna. When you switch it on it hijacks the GPS input as well and tells the unit you're not moving. At that point you can make the display do whatever it would stationary.

I looked into the 4 pin spdif cable and struck out. It seems to be a proprietary cable designed to interface with a particular line of rockford fosgate amps and for the life of me I couldn't find an easily available cable I could just buy and plug in.

I almost bought the Japanese product above but as it was about $200 I started thinking maybe I should just sell the MMCS and buy one of these new android headunits from china rather than persist with making this one do things it was never designed to do?

what?? quiting??

im a fan of the resourceIT now AMMSOL method, its a nice little circuit that chucks in a 2km/h pulse keeping it road legit,

Nah i get it it. im thinking of dropping back to a single DIN unit and slot a DIN uhf to make some room for a future HF setup., i dont use the visual side of the MMCS until im in sydney and i have a typical GPS i can use for that..
JamoGLXR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:09 pm

Yeah I have the resource IT unit in mine and wouldn't be without it, unless I had gone the above Japanese route. I was looking to get video out and then replicate that on the nexus table so I could still have the reverse camera even if I mounted the nexus over the top of the MMCS to leave room for other stuff.

And if I got that to work then maybe video in while in motion could have worked which in turn could have meant front cameras, or switchable cameras, or mirroring a better GPS onto the main headunit. I dunno, lots of ideas and most of them unlikely to ever be used in any frequent way.

Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:30 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:I wonder what car the 3E45 was?

well here you go dave look at what i found today

By types of cars while collecting information, that's what is at the moment:
3E45 - Pajero Sport
3E47 - triton
3H41 - Lancer
3H41EVO - Lancer evo
3H44S - Lancer
3H44SX - Lancer Sportback
3H45X - OUT XL
3H45W - DELICA
3M00X (SHORT) - MITSUBISHI PAJERO ( Short wheelbase)
3M00X (LONG) - MITSUBISHI PAJERO (Long wheelbase)
3X45 - ASX / RVR / S OUTLND
3R00 - Peugeot
4A00 - Citroen
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:34 am

Nice. Mine has never listed those lancer/evo codes. Definitely need to try some more discs.

Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical