Reversing Camera suggestions

Re: Reversing Camera suggestions

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:16 pm

It depends which head unit you have. If it's the same as mine I can give you a pin by pin instruction. If it's something else we'll all have to search. Usually there's a factory plug rather than an RCA plug and you usually have to add some pins to the plug.

If you post a picture or find a picture of the head unit we can hopefully be more helpful
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby FreeFall_801 on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:55 am

Thanks Dave, I think i have worked it out. Managed to get the shroud off it last night and had a peek at the plugs. If i have it right the connector is C-108?? 8 pin connector to the left of the GPS antenna.
Here is the back of my unit (sorry for the drunk angle)
Click to view larger picture
This one is the plug that i think i need to tap in to
If this is the right plug then i am looking at the second pin on the top row for my reverse signal from passenger kick panel, bottom row pin 2 should be camera signal and then finally pin 3 on the bottom row should be camera shield?

Final question is pins to go into the plug, Jaycar have these yeah? PCB pins like these? https://www.jaycar.com.au/pc-pin-socket ... 5/p/HP1260

If i've got all this right then i might start a build thread and put some pretty pictures up.
FreeFall_801

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:57 pm

Those pins might work, but most of the mitsi plugs have the ones with the full box sort of female pin rather than the 2 side clampy ones like you've got there (which look like JPT terminals). No way for me to tell without looking into the end of the plug though. You can usually release the terminals from the inside with a fine probe if you know what to look for. Then you can take a picture and take it with you to Jaycar.

If they're the square ones I'm talking about then you need something that looks a bit more like these:

I've probably got some here if you're in Sydney and in a hurry.

If they're nice and fine you might get away with using the insides of the little arduino jumper cables jaycar sells but they're usually a bit bigger than that. Otherwise you might find the right sort of contacts inside some of the aerpro adapters for car stereos that you can get at supercheap etc

Cowboy Dave

Postby FreeFall_801 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Hoping I can get a little more help with this one, got the camera, got the wires all done but I'm having some grief getting display on the screen. Basically I put the car into reverse and nothing happens for me, when I take it out of reverse I get a flash of a black screen and then back to my previous display.
If I head into the secret menu and do a comma check while the car is in neutral I get a rear camera OK, if I run the same comma test while in reverse I get a N/A result.
I thought maybe it was my reverse signal wire but I used the same wire as the one for my reversing lights and they are still working fine on auto.

Any hints on where I can go looking for faults?
FreeFall_801

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:15 pm

Can you post a wiring diagram from the manual?

Cowboy Dave

Postby FreeFall_801 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:31 pm

The only manual I have is the one that they give with the car and as far as I'm aware it doesn't have any wiring diagrams for the radio in it, actually the nav unit isn't even mentioned in there much its mostly the normal unit mentioned.
I've been going off a diagram the I found on here (i think it was here).
Probably best I get more info first?
FreeFall_801

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:40 pm

Hard to analyse remotely without more detail.

I figured since you were using the plug numbers you must have a diagram there.

What year model of MN? All the years are available but of course not all of the head units in europe will match ours.

Cowboy Dave

Postby FreeFall_801 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:58 pm

It's the MY15 so a 2014, when I was looking before on where I got the pin out from it may have been the lancer evo site.
FreeFall_801

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:35 pm

Is this the one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:52 pm

If yes, then this gives you 3 of the voltages to check on that 8 pin plug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:59 pm

Also if that's the correct unit, then I've attached a PDF with the diagrams from the manual. Don't be too alarmed if it doesn't show a reverse camera, it has a reverse trigger connection for a reason, even if they don't want to share that with us.

Cowboy Dave

Postby FreeFall_801 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:15 pm

Yeah that looks like the one, cables that you mention are the ones that are connected in by factory to that plug. I'll throw volt meter on them to be sure they have the right voltage.
That wiring diagram just goes right over my head, I can see where it mentions the 3 cables that it has connected in and where they connect to (system power, ground, back up lamp) but i cant spot anything for the other 5 pins.

Thanks for all your help CD.
FreeFall_801

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:44 pm

Can you post a picture of the label on top of the unit for me?

I'm on the iPad now so can't read back and post at the same time to check what you said you did, but if I describe how my 2010 unit works it might trigger a thought for you as to what else you might need to try.

So on mine, the selection of reverse gear brings 12v+ to the headunit to trigger the reverse camera. The headunit then sends 6v to the camera. The camera also has an earth connection as the other half of the 6v power circuit. The arrival of 6v at the camera activates that and it sends a video signal back to another connection at the back of the headunit. The other half of that connection is the shield wire from the camera. Now from memory there may also be an additional ground wire which tells the headunit by its presence that there is a camera connected.

Does that sound similar to your setup at all?

Cowboy Dave

Postby FreeFall_801 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:16 am

Okay so I got to thinking this morning on my drive to work and managed to get the camera working. As outlined in the above documents that CD has kindly provided, the 2014 MMCS (other sites refer to as 4th gen) already has a cable connected to detect when reverse is selected (pin 23 on C-169). Given my results last night with the communications diagnostic on the unit pin 22 is what is used to actually detect the camera, it just doesn't like 12v being ran to it.
So this morning I did the silly thing and just jumped the cables around to get the right combination. The combination is Pin 22 is the camera shield, Pin 26 is the camera signal.

In my case all that I needed to connect to the back of the unit is the video input as I'm getting power from my reverse lights relay and the unit already has reverse detect connected through Pin 23. Not sure where the 6v camera power comes from but I'm sure its in there somewhere if anyone needs it.

Now i just need to fix up the distortion that i get from the camera, probably have the cable too close to the power running down the passenger side.
FreeFall_801

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:24 pm

Distortion could be a PAL vs NTSC problem? Or maybe the shield is on the wrong earth?

Easy enough to find the power feed for the camera as there won't be many pins that only put out voltage when the car is in reverse.

I should have mentioned that if you use the reverse lights you can ignore all the triggering etc - I did the same with mine recently to test a new camera and actually ran it via the av input. This is also the way to get around buying a 12v camera if the head unit outputs 6v.

Cowboy Dave

Postby tritonmatt76 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi guys,

Ive read this whole post and still cany find an answer.

I have a my2015 mn glxr auto and cant find any easy to access reverse power wire to power my camera screen under the dash area. Any ideas or guidance appreciated
tritonmatt76

Postby tritonmatt76 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi guys,

Ive read this whole post and still cany find an answer.

I have a my2015 mn glxr auto and cant find any easy to access reverse power wire to power my camera screen under the dash area. Any ideas or guidance appreciated
tritonmatt76

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:11 pm

Operating from memory here, so don't rely on it 100% but it should be red and green and emerge from the second plug from the bottom behind the passenger side kick panel. From there it run down the passenger side sill under the plastic trim.

There's a post somewhere where I uploaded a diagram and better details than that.

Cowboy Dave

Postby tritonmatt76 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:43 pm

Thanks mate, I couldnt find it so decided on hardwiring through a switch. I can then monitor the boat in tow when i want to
tritonmatt76

Postby Jamesnewtriton on Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:38 pm

glenn63 wrote:Lol true seeing is believing . I will eventually get a camera without the parking grid as there is a grid already on the screen.

Cheers
glenn

Anyone know where to get a loom and camera to suit this touch screen. I just picked one up but haven't had much luck on finding out what camera and loom to use!???
Jamesnewtriton

Postby lgd on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:22 pm

Not sure to post in this thread but I have a reversing camera and installed LED reversing globes in lieu of standard but find at night image is very washed out. Before going back o the old globes to check if that works any better - anyone else had this and fixed it?
Cheers
I used to be uncertain but lately I'm not so sure.
lgd

Postby Muddy 1 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:18 pm

Hey love, try a different Earth for your camera. Quite often when I'm installing camera's a different earthing point can make a tonne of difference.
Cheers Matt
It wasn't me!!!
Muddy 1

Postby JeffW40 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:18 pm

Big boots. Did you manage to add the second camera on the van to use the screen on the MQ? I only want it to reverse (though with a big van being able too see who is immediately behind you is interesting). Like you I want to use the second camera when van on and original camera when no van. I guess when I have the standard trailer with no camera I want the original camera.
JeffW40

Postby bigboots on Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:42 pm

No. I never did follow up. When I bought our new van it was fitted with a camera and came with a monitor that fixed to the windscreen with suction pads or an optional hard mounting for the dash. The only problem with all this is that the windscreen has GPS, camera monitor and HUD fitted to it. I've also been looking at mounting the phone on the windscreen to monitor the Torque Pro readings but then I think I might then to get a guide dog as the windscreen would be obliterated.I sometimes wonder if all this technology is worth it. How did the old-timers do it?
bigboots

Postby slese on Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:31 pm

Had interference with mine? Finding a point to patch into the power without splicing into a cable was also a problem not to mention on a hot day the seperate 7"" screen melted :oops:
slese

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical