Reversing Camera suggestions

Re: Reversing Camera suggestions

Postby belvo on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:16 pm

yep Dave radio fuse and interior light fuse were gone thanks for the help is there any steps to take next time when working on the electrics to prevent fuses from blowing.
belvo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Disconnect the battery before you start.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby nonnymouse on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:08 pm

so seeing as the most current recommendations are about a year or more old, can anyone give me current recommendations on a reliable mirror style reversing camera that does not drop out, is affordable and is neat and tidy. we are currently looking at the arb ones but would like something a little cheaper.
nonnymouse

Postby Vluchee on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:45 pm

We bought a wireless reverse camera/GPS from ebay with 4.3" screen. It came from China, 2 year warranty and only cost us $99 total. The name of the seller is Wthyou or something very similar
Vluchee

Postby MervinJ on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:11 pm

I had a 3.75 inch cheapy and honestly it wasn't real flash. I upgraded my head unit to a pioneer and it came with a camera. It's brilliant. Easy to see because of screen size and works great at night.
I bought mine when JB had 30% off so it was very well priced.
Added benefits are the Bluetooth is streets ahead of the factory and sound quality is much better.

Hope that helps.
MervinJ
Platinum Subscriber

Postby nonnymouse on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:55 pm

Is it any good?
Vluchee wrote:We bought a wireless reverse camera/GPS from ebay with 4.3" screen. It came from China, 2 year warranty and only cost us $99 total. The name of the seller is Wthyou or something very similar
nonnymouse

Postby Vluchee on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:42 am

The only negative thing that comes to mind is its not a night vision camera, having said that it still works well when there is area lighting like street lights and so on (it doesnt require alot of light to still see). But you cant see much when there is no lighting.
Vluchee

Postby macca002 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:44 am

Vluchee wrote:The only negative thing that comes to mind is its not a night vision camera, having said that it still works well when there is area lighting like street lights and so on (it doesnt require alot of light to still see). But you cant see much when there is no lighting.

CREE Led Reverse light's solved my issue with poor night-vision on the reverse camera. Cost about $5
macca002

Postby grungle25 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:35 pm

I bought this one last month and paid an extra $40 for the CCD nightvision camera. I asked the seller heaps of questions and he was very helpful. This isn't a clip on mirror, it replaces the stock mirror completely...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REVERSING-MI ... 8b7&_uhb=1

Finally got around to installing it last weekend and have to say it's awesome. The auto dimming function is great and the image quality is superb.

Click to view larger picture

I used the install instructions from this thread to find out how to route the cables from tub to centre console. Made it a very easy job!
grungle25
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodeddy on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:57 pm

I also got one of these from the same seller last year, ..........i also fitted the creo spot bulbs into the reversing lights.
altogether heaps good ! :D

grungle25 wrote:I bought this one last month and paid an extra $40 for the CCD nightvision camera. I asked the seller heaps of questions and he was very helpful. This isn't a clip on mirror, it replaces the stock mirror completely...

Finally got around to installing it last weekend and have to say it's awesome. The auto dimming function is great and the image quality is superb.

I used the install instructions from this thread to find out how to route the cables from tub to centre console. Made it a very easy job!
rodeddy

Postby nonnymouse on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:59 pm

Hope this link works

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1244144001

Anyone tried one of these?
nonnymouse

Postby southerndreamer on Mon May 12, 2014 10:36 am

grungle25 wrote:I bought this one last month and paid an extra $40 for the CCD nightvision camera. I asked the seller heaps of questions and he was very helpful. This isn't a clip on mirror, it replaces the stock mirror completely...

I'm new to the Triton and see that Mitsi have their own reversing camera that is integrated in the reversing mirror. Has anyone any experience with this one, and would recommend it please.
southerndreamer

Postby rodeddy on Mon May 12, 2014 2:14 pm

hi,
yes i saw that on their options list when i bought my Triton a year ago, but i think it was around $600 odd dollars !!!!

southerndreamer wrote:

I'm new to the Triton and see that Mitsi have their own reversing camera that is integrated in the reversing mirror. Has anyone any experience with this one, and would recommend it please.
rodeddy

Postby explorer.dave on Mon May 12, 2014 2:28 pm

Yes, l had one fitted at time of sale, talked the stealer into adding at no cost, approx. $700 worth if l remember right. They work fine during the day, not so clear at night, IMO probably a lot better and cheaper after market options, save your bucks and spend on other toys.

Dave.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kxboss on Mon May 12, 2014 7:33 pm

I installed a cheap wireless camera and whilst it can be entertaining picking up the signals from trucks and people with wirelss security cameras etc. ( once seen a good sort trying on a bra).

You NEED to have good lighting or night vision on the camera.

But really the wireless can be distracting because it is a 2.5 ghwhatsis and every man and his dog has one on the pc etc.
kxboss

Postby Robmurray on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Can someone tell me how to wire up my reverse camera so I can switch it on or off while driving (as well as it automatically coming on when reversing)?

I have wired mine up to a reverse light so it switches on automatically in reverse.

I also have another camera I am going to wire up at the front as well.

I want to be able to turn it on while driving and I want to be able to switch on and off as required. The screen I have supports AV1 & AV2 input so the inputs are not a problem, but how would I turn them on and off as required?
Robmurray

Postby Snooozy on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:42 pm

I did an override switch on mine, I will have to dig out the diagrams (if I still have them) & post them up.
very handy to keep an eye on the trailer.

I will need a couple of days though as I am busy until the weekend.
Unless somebody else gives the answer first.

I only have one cam but did look at running a second. might get back to that one day :roll:
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Robmurray on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:28 am

Snooozy wrote:I did an override switch on mine, I will have to dig out the diagrams (if I still have them) & post them up.

I only have one cam but did look at running a second. might get back to that one day :roll:

Many thanks, if you manage to find the time that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Rob
Robmurray

Postby paulyboy on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:33 pm

For anyone that wants it. The Gator 4.3" Mirror reversing kit will be HALF PRICE from Supercheap Auto from Wednesday the 18th of June. I only know this because I had a look at the new catalogue that one of the sales people was holding. He said just wait a week and it's mine for $99. He said he had it in his car and was great for what it's worth.
GLX MN MY15 Auto. White with aluminium tray and ladder racks. Melbourne Sparky.
paulyboy

Postby MervinJ on Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:52 am

Snooozy wrote:I did an override switch on mine, I will have to dig out the diagrams (if I still have them) & post them up.

Hey Snooozy...what diodes did you use for this? After specifics. The reason I ask is the Jaycar near me wont tell me exactly what I need as they arent to give out advice any more. Something to do with litigation. :cry:
And I think the diagram is stashed away here somewhere in the archives.
Thanks
MervinJ
Platinum Subscriber

Reversing Camera suggestions

Postby insomniac92 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:16 am

I haven't done it myself, but I "borrowed" this info from another forum where they did the same thing.
Quote..."A common inline diode such as Part#: 1N4001 - 1N4007 will be fine." (Jaycar part numbers)
PM sent with a link to the write up.

Hope it helps,
Cheers
insomniac92
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MervinJ on Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks mate.Got it.
MervinJ
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:18 pm

sorry I have not had time to look for diagrams yet & I will be in a training course all day tomorrow so may not get to it :oops:

I did not use any diodes as my camera did not require it. I have had no issues without diodes.

The ones listed above should be fine though if you need one.

I just have a double pole double throw switch which bypasses the reverse light switch.

will try to find diagrams & draw them up for PC upload if I find some spare time (need more hours in the day)
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MervinJ on Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:11 am

Snooozy wrote:sorry I have not had time to look for diagrams yet & I will be in a training course all day tomorrow so may not get to it :oops:

I did not use any diodes as my camera did not require it. I have had no issues without diodes.

The ones listed above should be fine though if you need one.

I just have a double pole double throw switch which bypasses the reverse light switch.

will try to find diagrams & draw them up for PC upload if I find some spare time (need more hours in the day)

Righto.
I will be interested to see the diagram.
MervinJ
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Robmurray on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:29 am

Snooozy wrote:

From Wikipedia.....The terms pole and throw are also used to describe switch contact variations. The number of "poles" is the number of separate circuits which are controlled by a single switch. For example, a "2-pole" switch has two separate identical sets of contacts controlled by the same switch. The number of "throws" is the number of separate wiring path choices other than "open" that the switch can adopt for each pole. A single-throw switch has one pair of contacts that can either be closed or open. A double-throw switch has a contact that can be connected to either of two other contacts, a triple-throw has a contact which can be connected to one of three other contacts, etc

You will have to excuse me because I have no idea what that means, can you dumb it down for me? Does it mean you have both camera circuits (the "poles") being controlled by a single switch?

If that is what it means - do I do the following;

1. Disconnect the reverse camera wire from the reversing lamp wire.
2. Buy a "double pole double throw switch" from Jaycar or somewhere else?
3. Install both cameras and run the third wire from both cameras - the one that is currently used to turn it on via the reversing lamp wire - to the double pole double throw switch.
4. Run the positive wire to power somewhere in the cabin?

If I do this, wont I have to turn on the reversing camera manually whenever I want to use it, or am I missing something?

Apologies for the stupid questions, but Im not particularly good with electrical circuits and the like.

Appreciate all the help
Cheers
Rob
Robmurray

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical