Spotlights

Re: Spotlights

Postby RobRach on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:12 pm

Looking for some help im trying to fit 2x 9inch spotlights and a 22 inch light bar to my 2017 MQ GlS Triton only had it about 5 weeks, have all the plug and play wire kit but none of the plugs match, my question is can i just tap into the high beam light (once i figure that out) wire for a power source or will this blow fuses
any help would be appreciated thanks
RobRach

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:45 pm

The plug'n'play harness obviously isn't vehicle specific. Came with the lightbar/lights?

The MQ GLS has HID headlights. So, there is no separate high beam light - just a shield that gives the shape for the low beam and moves out of the way for high beam.

The safest place to tap into is Fuse 3 in the under bonnet fuse box. Use an Add-a-Fuse and use this ONLY to activate the relay for your supplemental lighting. So, your lead from this fuse runs to terminal 86 on the relay. Connect terminal 85 to a switch inside the vehicle, which then runs to ground.

Power for your supplemental lighting should come from the battery to terminal 30 on the relay and the lights are then connected to terminal(s) 87/87a.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby 98kellrs on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:48 am

What's the process for swapping from 2x 7" Spotties, to a lightbar wiring wise? Can I just use the same harness and switch?
98kellrs

Postby Joel on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:04 am

Not sure if its the correct way to do it but thats all i did. Havent had any problems
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:37 pm

Doesn't matter which type of light is on the end of the harness, main aim is to keep the accessory loads isolated from the vehicle wiring.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 98kellrs on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:38 am

Thanks gents, that's the answer I was hoping for!
98kellrs

Postby RobRach on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:16 am

Thanks for that ill tackle it on the weekend
Appreciate the help
RobRach

Postby Foo on Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:54 pm

Remember this when fitting to a bullbar, not on top of it. ;)

https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/farnorth/20 ... -dont-mix/

Foo
Foo

Postby Duck on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:56 pm

Those laws have changed, it can be mounted on bars as long as it does not protrude past the bar.
Must be centered, all other lighting rules apply, only operable with high beam etc.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby mjelic on Tue May 01, 2018 9:56 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:
The MQ GLS has HID headlights. So, there is no separate high beam light - just a shield that gives the shape for the low beam and moves out of the way for high beam.

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking. Only had my Triton for a couple months and never liked the high beams. In fact I thought they were broken! They don't actually get any brighter. So what's the point of HID lights, exactly?

NowForThe5th wrote:
The safest place to tap into is Fuse 3 in the under bonnet fuse box. Use an Add-a-Fuse and use this ONLY to activate the relay for your supplemental lighting. So, your lead from this fuse runs to terminal 86 on the relay. Connect terminal 85 to a switch inside the vehicle, which then runs to ground.

Power for your supplemental lighting should come from the battery to terminal 30 on the relay and the lights are then connected to terminal(s) 87/87a.

And thanks for the rest of the info... I've never had a HID light before, and when I saw the like SIX wires going into the back of it, I was stumped as to what wire to splice into. One of those piggy back fuse holders should do the trick.

Cheers!
mjelic

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed May 02, 2018 9:45 am

mjelic wrote:They don't actually get any brighter. So what's the point of HID lights, exactly?

That depends on the design of the projector. A really good projector has a hot spot of light in the centre of the beam and the shield intersects this, blocking 40-60% of the output. When the shield flips out of the way for high beam then that blocked light is allowed to escape and the area above the cutoff line is lit. However, some projectors are optimised for low beam, meaning that more of the light is allowed past in low beam and there is less for high beam. Alternately the hot spot is much larger and therefore less intense, giving a better, more even, spread of light. This is somewhat the case with the projectors in the Triton.

To add to the problem, the Triton's bulbs are limited to 25W, rather than the usual 35W. This means that they comply with the regulations that allow HIDs without self levelling and washers, provided output is less than 2000 lumens.

Now all this seems to indicate that the Triton's HIDs are crap, but they're not. At 2000lm the light output is more than double that of the halogen variety, meaning that there is actually quite a lot of light being projected on to the road ahead.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Previous

Return to Electrical