mivec

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

mivec

Postby slimv6 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:14 am

hey guys,

anyone come across a set of V6 mivec heads for a 6g75? What are the possiblities of banging those on the 74? 140kw from a 3.5's a bit sad....

s
I'm not as thunk as you drink I am. ;)
slimv6

Re: mivec

Postby Homer on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:15 am

Yeah I think the same.
I'm not looking at the heads at present as mine is only at 10K and I'm trying to stay a bit conservative, but am seriously considering custom headers and twin exhaust. Supposed to give 40hp at the wheels on the Hilux.
Also looking at 65mm smooth bore throttle body and inlet manifold port and polish.

All up I would expect about 30-40kw at the back wheels from this and around 1l/100km better fuel economy.
I would jump on all of these straight up if I could find a tried and tested ECU upgrade to a programmable tune up as I think they need more help low and midrange - at least with the 4 speed auto. A 5 speed would fix that somewhat.

I have come across the Haltech ECU 'piggy back' but am not sure if it is suitable as the performance shop recommends it, but Haltech don't have it on their 'recommended vehicles list'.

Even though it is an aussie site, this link might interest you for ideas.

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?op ... mitstart=0
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby slimv6 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:40 pm

I've been looking at the dastek piggyback in SA, itseems the goodies, but I don't think anyone's done this kind of thing here yet. I've heard stories about problems with cold start and fast idle...

but anyhow, I'm racking up about 90000km around now, so last stealer service for me. gonna be a bt hefty with the cambelt change and all that.

I have already done the pipes, but not headers, cats are out too. It's a bit better, but nowhere near what it should be. There are so many options when opening the motor up tho. I believe there are about 3 different compression ratios that can be applied, apparently 3.8 is slightly higher than 3.5SOHC and the 3.5DOHC was also higer than sohc.

but I reckon it would be cheaper to buy a poked motor and do the whole thing over with ALL the goodies and transplant it. But if this is the route, the MIVEC is my 1st purchase.

Have you had a dyno run yet to see what's coming out now?
slimv6

Postby Homer on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:59 am

No not bothering with the expense at this point for the dyno.

The race pipe place reckons the exhaust manifolds are the main breathing problems for these new emission compliant engines as they intentionally strangle them to get heat into them fast, so I'm keen on the headers. The pipes are more for sound minimization as they aren't too bad std - tho def not great.

I am sus on the piggybacks for the same reasons - no data and I don't really want to be the guinea pig - especially after reading about some of the problems with the oilers on here.
The Haltech site specifically states that idle and cold start are not affected, but I will wait until the Triton is on their recommended list or as I like to think of it 'wty list'.
The dreaded engine cut out and fault codes is not a place I wanna go.

I would be interested to hear how you get on. I will post up once I finally work out my few mods, but I reckon I'm a couple of months off - modifying a new under wty engine worries me, but I will flick it in 5 years so the longer I wait the less use I will get from it.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby slimv6 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Just had a chat with the unichip guys, they say they've done a couple of tritions with MPI and all, expect a 10-12% power and 5-10% improvements on fuel.

He also says there are blguetooth modules so you can use different maps for different applications, but as far as the MPI goes, it does a lot of adjustment on it's own.

THankfully, there was a service manual available for download some time ago, so that's greatfor the codes and all, but without a MUTIII, it's all bollocks. Can't really diagnose without it. I believe it's about US$8000 or something. including the ibm laptop. = rip off...

Luckily the system is quite customiseable and I believe that mivec can all be controlled through that unit. I really reckon that there's much more punch avlilable from one of those 74's.

Also had a look at the haltech stuff, cams sound good, but probably cheaper in SA than to import the stuff from Oz. :roll:

I'll see if i can find my dyno report...
slimv6

Postby Homer on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:28 am

Yeah one of the first things they mentioned when I was looking at the Haltech piggy back was cams, headers and throttle bodies, all of which would of course be available local.

Your right about getting more bang from the 74's. I came across a drag racing article where they are running 500 HP at the wheels and talking about a major twin turbo rebuild for 1000 HP - so anythings possible.
The thing I am happy about is it appears the std bottom end is strong enough for the smaller performance increase I'm looking for.

I'm an old petrol head from way back, but the new computerised engine management and electronics is way beyond me, and I always had naturally aspirated - well carby's at least - so it kinda scares me.
There were no fuel pressure issues or anything, you just bolted on more go fast bits and put a bloody big electric fuel pump in and a Mallory twin point and off you went.

I'll have a look at the unichip and Mivec info available and see if I can work out heads from tails, but as soon as you mentioned bluetooth I thought of my Nokia, not my engine lol.

It's good to share info and ideas with someone, as it's all oiler info on here mostly.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:42 pm

I'm booked in to install a unichip tomorrow.
I found a place that has done quite a lot of Pajero's with the 6J74 petrol engine's so I'm gunna give it a go.

It sounds like a pretty good setup where they give it a maximum tune using 98 octane and then also tune it for 91 octane and install a switch in the vehicle to change from one to the other depending on what fuel is available.

I've been quoted similar improvement numbers to what Slim quoted 10-12% power and same in fuel economy - if you don't use the 10-12% extra power of course - which I think will be hard for at least a little while. :twisted:

They also recommended not getting the throttle body (alters the automatic trans change points badly) or headers for various reasons that made perfect sense.

Question:
I am also looking for a unifilter, but the best price I can get in Brisbane is $110? How much have you guys been paying?
I think I read someone picked one up for $60.
Also do the unifilters come with a kit - oil and cleaner etc. I thought I saw a pic of one posted somewhere??

Cheers

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Jitsukablue on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:30 pm

That's the going rate sorry. Someone here has a missus that works at a supplier that got them for that cost ($60)... or something! Go on, stimulate the economy...
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby Homer on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:12 pm

Thanks Jits. I don't mind paying the going rate now that I know it. Just didn't want to readily be bent over - one guy quoted 2 weeks delivery! He must have thought Lance Armstrong might pick it up for him or something?

Homer
Valued Contributor

Return to Drive Train Components