Loose Steering Column

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Loose Steering Column

Postby Zantus on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:31 am

My steering column worked loose over the past few weeks and my Triton spent today at the dealer getting 2 bolts tightened!

By the time I took it in, it still took quite a bit of force to move it, but it was definately not right. It could move about 4mm from left to right at the upper steering column mounting bracket.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

My dealer gave me very good service as usual. I e-mailed them last night and this morning I got a call to say that my vehicle has been booked in as a break down, I must bring it in immediately and my courtesy car is waiting for me.
Zantus

Re: Loose Steering Column

Postby Racer on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:13 am

Mine has a slight rattle when going over corrugations. I don't know if it is the steering column or suspension. When I had it booked in for the 1500 service I told them yet they reckon there wasn't anything there...It is noted on the service docket and it has gotten a little worse....when it gets bad enough I will take it in....
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby slimv6 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:49 pm

Mr Z!

where did it come loose?

s.
I'm not as thunk as you drink I am. ;)
slimv6

Postby Zantus on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:28 am

At the top mount, the one right behind the steering wheel. It was a slightly loose bolt that they torqued to factory spec again.
Zantus

Return to Drive Train Components