Inlet to Turbo Oil Puddle

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Inlet to Turbo Oil Puddle

Postby Grumpybear on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi,

Is it common for a puddle (teaspoon) of Oil to be found in the inlet at the front of the Turbo.

I am aware that the turbo sucks and there fore there would be some residue but is a teaspoon excessive / to much blow by??

I contacted the Stealer and they dont seem to concerned and are happy to wait until the 15000 service to have a look it's got 13000 on it now.

Any info is welcomed, i'm new to the world of turbo and diesel

Cheers
Cheers
Grumpybear
Pain is just weakness leaving the body
Grumpybear

Re: Inlet to Turbo Oil Puddle

Postby Eelesy on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:32 pm

Im quite new to it too, but my vehicle is the same. when disconnecting the pipe from the airbox to the turbo i noticed a small amount of oil.
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby CCM on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:17 am

Mine too! 12,000kms now turned over but found this same oil at 1500 kms..

Since then I've tried to do a lil homework and it seems to be the norm... The intake in theory is suppose to create a vacum (in front of the turbo sucking air) which draws the crank case air from the breather at the top of the rocker cover...(its the 16mm ID hose that runs from the top of the motor over to the rubber intake hose)

Part of the trancing I've done was fitting a MAP (Air Pressure Sensor) at this point - Not for that reason but for cheking of air box efficiency - point is, due to what appears to be the effiency of the factory air box there is very little (at best) vacum in most dirving situations...

In my mind any burning of uncontorlled oil is bad!! So I'm hoping to plumb in some kind of oil catch can and do some testing when I have an oppurtunity but not sure when that will happen....
I bought a new Turbo Diesel Ute to tow my two toys, now the Ute takes all my time n money! crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap
CCM

Postby Grumpybear on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks Guys, appreciate the feedback.

Im looking at possibly replacing the factory airbox with a custom made one, it's just up to the snorkel maker as to when this can be done.

Will keep all posted anyway
Cheers
Grumpybear
Pain is just weakness leaving the body
Grumpybear

Return to Drive Train Components