MN Traction control

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: MN Traction control

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:28 pm

Mattstruck wrote:
chrisdoherty87 wrote:I always turn the ASC off when off the black stuff. In the bush, mud, rocky hillclimbs, creek crossings and other various terrain the traction control is great and works well. However on soft sand my personal feeling is that it interferes too much as it cuts power at first sign of wheelspin which then slows the vehicle. Where I prefer it to wheelspin a little with feathering the throttle and keep momentum up. This is a lot more enhanced in 2wd but also noticeable in 4 high. I have driven sand now with tc both on and disabled (as explained earlier in this thread) and find soft sand is now far better with it disengaged. However on hillclimbs I tried it just to test without tc and as expected it is useless without it.

Mate TC does not cut power. The ASC does cut power.

The TC does NOT.

All it does it brake slipping wheels so the wheels with traction turn.

TC does not, never has, never will, cut engine power.

TC is good in the sand, ASC is dreadful in the sand.

Im reading the same old misinformation about "TC in the sand" on other forums too.
Not sure who or why this myth is being spread.
My guess is most likely by people who do not know how the technology works...
TC is amazing in any situation any tyre or tyres loose traction. End of story. :roll:

Ok let me rephrase it. The tc on soft sand in 2wd has, in my case caused things to be more difficult than what it would of been if it wasn't turned on. It may not cut engine power so to speak but from what it feels like is happening is it gets a slight bit of wheelspin as expected coming up to a bit of soft stuff and instead of just a little bit of spin through it and continuing on with momentum, the tc brakes the wheel that is spinning and allows the other wheel to drive. Though in this case (soft sand) that wheel then spins which leads the TC to then brake that wheel and repeat the process. This has (once again in MY case) slowed the vehicle substantially and causes drama that wouldn't of been there if it just wheelspun a little. Also in some cases the TC does feel like it cuts power (not telling-asking) as on a wet slippery grassy paddock one time we went to have a little bit of fun and with ASC deffinately off and the TC working, the car refused to wheelspin and power just backed right off. Now if it is on a surface with such low friction how would it not wheelspin? I was under the impression that the TC braked one wheel and sent drive the the other wheel and if it did this a few times to no avail it then backs power off a bit. That was my seat of the pants feeling anyway.

And Cowboy Dave, yes it can be quite fun with no traffic around :D
chrisdoherty87

Postby baito on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:35 am

Mate I have been able to do donuts no worries on wet grass paddocks with asc off, traction control didn't stop me, we cut about 6 hoops in a row no worries, def could not feel tc hindering us like it would if asc was on... I think the tc is def worth having and using
Just my 2c
Cheers
baito

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:47 am

Yes I like the TC. Also just like the option to turn it off which I now do. What year model is yours? That's interesting as I have deffinately tried on numerous times on sand, grass, road, dirt and it definitely does not allow wheelspin. Maybe 2 or 3 seconds of wheelspin before power feels as if it gets cut. Have tried with both ASC off and on. When ASC is on it is a lot different and cuts everything out quicker and almost doesn't allow any spin at all but with it off it spins for a bit (can feel it switching wheels also) and then power drops off. Could my system be faulty or could 2012 and in models be slightly more intrusive?
chrisdoherty87

Postby baito on Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:06 pm

Mines a dec12 model mate, can you drift it in gravel etc? I find it easy to powerslide etc
baito

Postby Jaymac92 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:35 pm

Single spinner diff and tc is quite possibly the worst for trying to drift...
2013 MN GLR 4x4 with TJM Bullbar, side rails and sliders, TJM Snorkel, Uniden UHF, Black sunraysia rims and more to follow...
Jaymac92

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:08 pm

Agreed about the single spinner. Yes if I am on a corner and get sideways it will do it. But if I was to drift around a roundabout a few times it then cuts power. Like I mentioned before it's like it brakes spinning wheel a few times then realises both are losing traction and backs power off. This is the reason I did the mod to disable tc as you could understand it is quite annoying. Starting to sound like mine may have a fault though. Maybe ASC isn't disabling fully or something? Either way all good now with my little wiring mod but would be good to work out what's going on. Anyone else's do what I'm describing?
chrisdoherty87

Postby flatcountrymick on Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:37 pm

I havent read all 7 pages but I am sure I have read on here before (cos the mods made me search) that the tc works fine if you press that button which turns off the asc (not the tc). I tried it out and I am very happy but I only have an 80 series with lsd and a hilux to compare to. I would like to compare tritons with and without diff locks and with and without decent tyres :?:
Looking at the FORUM DIRECTORY...
flatcountrymick

Postby Mattstruck on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:08 pm

Here here!
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby Naff on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:45 pm

Where?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:49 pm

The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components