problems shifting gears

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: problems shifting gears

Postby Mitstech2936 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:01 am

Well there a full synchromesh gearbox, there not a truck shouldnt need to double clutch etc, can you imagine the average wife with 2 kids dropping the kids to school needing to double clutch? Lol me iether! It defiantly needs to be addressed asap by mitsu or they will see a pretty large sales drop, amazing what word of mouth can do and once the damage is done it takes years to rebuild confidence in a product
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!

WIN IT OR BIN IT...... NOBODY REMEMBERS WHO CAME SECOND!!
Mitstech2936

Postby colins7014 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:45 am

This is what I am noticing with my 2010 MN as well. I am taking mine to the dealer in a couple of weeks so they can change the gear oil out and atleast it will be in there records that it was done at 32000kms.
I notice the hard change down 2nd to 1st and very notchy to change up into 2nd and 3rd and clunky sound when changing all gears. Shouldn't they be informing there customers of these sincro issues and replacing them to prevent premature failure of all the gearbox bearings due to metal particles floating around. I am a desiel mechanic and this would be better than replacing the whole gearbox when it's too late. I feel that my dealer is not telling me the whole story.
colins7014

Postby Mitstech2936 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:52 pm

I think until they have a revised part number for it they wouldn't even think of doing a recall, and even when the revised part hits the dealerships it will be handled case by case...
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!

Mitstech2936

Postby tritonmal on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:09 pm

had a big crunch/gear grind after reversing out of a fishing hole yesterday. used 4 low reverse to get out
(silly me stopped on a soft spot on the river bank) stopped, back into hi box 2wd when on firmer ground, drove up the river / creek bank a bit, 1st 2nd 3rd all good. spied another spot, back to 2nd ... all ok. 2nd back to to first and ... ouch.... big grind.... felt like the lever was stuck half way through in to 1st... clutch strait back in and neutral.... stopped on the breaks, select first and all good... any ideas????

also noticed this arvo that clutch has a sound like a slipping fan belt when idling in neutral... clutch in and squeek goes.... clutch out and squeak back.... any ideas on this one???
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mitstech2936 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:42 pm

Possibly damaged reverse idler wich can put fragments through the sychros, another thing with theese boxes (all synchromesh gearboxes in general) is your not really meant to be attempting to downshift to first gear unless your basically stopped or at like 5kmh, bad habit every1 is guilty of Inc myself is using 1st to slow a car down from a higher speed, realistically should just pop the clutch in and wait till stop then pull 1st, the only time you shouldn't use angel gear (neutral) when slowing down is in a truck, (highly illegal)

And your second problem sounds like a noisy throwout bearing, when they run out of lubrication then fill with water or just rust in general they get noisy, that is box out to replace, if it's not really really bad u can try and put up with it till you need a new clutch down the line and do it then or if it's in warranty that will be covered for you :)
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!

Mitstech2936

Postby tritonmal on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:52 pm

right oh... i'll put up with it till the cluch goes then they can have a damn good look at the box too.....
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dirtpilot72 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Mine is starting to get hard to shift from 2nd to 3rd. Upgraded parts will be available in November. Thankfully i am still under driveline warranty.
dirtpilot72

Postby tritonmal on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:27 pm

s ing gear box gremlins are back!!! now what to do about it...... any ideas???
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tritonmal on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:27 pm

s ing gear box gremlins are back!!! now what to do about it...... any ideas???
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tritonmal on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:36 pm

now the stealership says i got to demonstrate the problem to them before they'll go any further.... how the hell do you demonstrate a very random event???
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mitstech2936 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:15 am

Try this...
You know how when your approaching an intersection and you lightly go from 4 to 3 and then 2 ( not using the engine as a brake more just going through the motions) when you in fourth and u go back to 3rd at about 50... Hold the clutch in while coasting at about 50 or 40 select 3rd from fourth (keep holding the clutch in don't let it out) go 4th to 3rd then keep going neutral 3rd neutral 3 about 4 times a faulty synchro will nOt let u select 3rd easily if at all, same for second gear keep dOing that, thats how I troubleshoot quikly for faulty ...
You get what I mean?
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!

Mitstech2936

Postby tritonmal on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:06 am

Had a thought guys .... Is the clutch vacuum over hydraulic.... If so would low vacuum cause low or insufficient pressure being put on the pressure plate this making it (intermittently) hard to change gears ???
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aids84 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:37 pm

No booster on the clutch.

More than likely your box needs to be pulled apart and some new bits put in. Usually replacing the 3-4 synchro hub/sleeve and 3rd gear synchro cones fixes them. I have heard some whispers about revised shift forks but have yet to hear any more info
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mitstech2936 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:52 pm

I think there's a revised synchro coming shortly aids84
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!

Mitstech2936

Postby tritonmal on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:59 pm

yeah...
but in my box is 1st 2nd thats the problem.... 3/4/5 is fine.... got the usual into reverse but i can live with that one.... :D
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mitstech2936 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:09 pm

I want them to have a revised reverse idler that's what I believe is killing 1-2 and 5th
3rd will be fixed but until a tougher reverse idler is made it will still be in vein
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!

Mitstech2936

Postby aids84 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:55 pm

Apparently revised shift forks were also mentioned at a foremans meeting a month or two ago, I didn't attend so only heard it through the grapevine.

Haven't had any gearbox's with 1-2 problems as of yet, but have probably rebuilt 30+ with problems downshifting into third.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tritonmal on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:05 am

Hi. I've had issues me gear box. It's finally getting swapped out under warranty with a new box after 3 yrs abd 68000 kms .And the dealership said it would be the first and only box under warranty. WTF? If mma can't repair a fault under warranty then mma should replace the part! Personally I think there are major design faults with the box.
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:11 am

tritonmal wrote:Hi. I've had issues me gear box. It's finally getting swapped out under warranty with a new box after 3 yrs abd 68000 kms .And the dealership said it would be the first and only box under warranty. WTF? If mma can't repair a fault under warranty then mma should replace the part! Personally I think there are major design faults with the box.

Mate I get that you're pissed about this, but that makes what - 4 different threads where you've posted the same thing just today?

Your dealer is wrong - the new box will be covered by the same warranty as the rest of the vehicle at the very least.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Thommo3337 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Same problem with the box think the colder weather has made it a lot worse stealer had it booked in last week for oil change but I forgot to take it in (no reminder call either) so I will have to re schedule

Has damage already being caused to the box even if the oil seams to fix the problem?
A Heroin Addiction Would Have Been Cheaper!!
Thommo3337

Postby tritonmal on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Hmmm had me gearbox swapped under warranty. Might be getting early signs of impending gearbox doom again! Hmmm might have to consider a replacement vehicle.
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tritonmal on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Am getting early signs of previous problem..... Grrrrr.....
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby als1200 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:19 pm

Good going through old posts.

My triton is a 2012 which has just cracked 35k.
purchased 2nd hand 2 and a bit years ago.
went in for its 60k service and the indicator switch recall. Car is just out of warranty.
i too was getting it locking out of 3rd gear when down shifting (double clutching fixed this) and when mentioned to the dealer they said they would look at it.
it happened to them on the test drive.
the car goes back next week to have the box pulled out and new bits thrown in.
als1200

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components