Overdrive?

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Overdrive?

Postby spargo on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:05 pm

Hi.

Our MY09 VR dual-cab Auto Diesel is my first Auto car with an overdrive, so I wanted to ask members, how best to use it.

Our dealer suggested we drive with it OFF (so the instrument light for it glows OFF) around town, and only switch it on when above 80km/h (i.e. Highway, Expressway, divided road with 80km/h+ speed limit), however I'd like to hear more opinions on this as we're getting rather poor economy in our town cycle according to the avg. consumption gauge..

Discuss.
spargo

Re: Overdrive?

Postby whitetrite on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:19 am

its an auto mate , if over drive is to tall for what you are doing it will kick down by its self . the only time ours is out of overdrive is to help hold the car back down hill. :D
whitetrite

Postby spargo on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:42 am

whitetrite wrote:its an auto mate , if over drive is to tall for what you are doing it will kick down by its self . the only time ours is out of overdrive is to help hold the car back down hill. :D

Exactly! I'm really not sure what the dealer was on about when he said it, as the directions in the car manual explain it's usefulness in descending hills to hold it up, just as you have.

cheers..
spargo

Postby Homer on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:35 am

Yeah mate just put it in D with the overdrive on and away you go.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:33 pm

Exactly! I'm really not sure what the dealer was on about when he said it,

Don't worry too much. They're not usually sure what they're on about either. :lol: Just get used to it.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ML-VR08 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:53 am

My gear change has become alittle 'sloppy' after towing with overdrive off... its between 1st and 2nd a little jump and jerk, not a huge thing but can notice it when driving along normally... Can anyone identify what the problem could be? Im also going to get the stealer to do the SCV fix aswel...and maybe just go over the transmission aswel.
ML-VR08

Postby Homer on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:39 pm

In the old days it used to be bands adjustment. Common problem when towing. I used to get a transmission service every 12 months or so and they'd 'tighten the bands'.
Of course I have no idea what goes in the autos nowadays.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Return to Drive Train Components