"Lunched" the Auto!!!

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

"Lunched" the Auto!!!

Postby Install on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:51 pm

Well where do i start or what do i say? To cut to the chase; the Auto completely SHAT itself. The final verdict was the Planetary Gear set destroyed itself.
There was no "Foul" play before the event, nothing in the trucks history to have even weakened them; just 2 weeks ago the transmission sounded like a bag of spanners after starting it up in the driveway.
Called Mr Mitsi told them to come and get it from the house as i wasn't driv'n it anywhere. It's taken a couple of weeks to return the truck back to me but all seems well now.
They have covered all costs completely including replacing my after market large trans cooler and remote mounted trans filter as they would not allow it back on the truck (Metal filings through entire system from the g-box failure).
Their verdict was i must have bogged it somewhere and "trashed" it trying to get the ute unstuck; maybe plausible but since the ute only got a 30K service on the very day before from the same dealer and was given a complete bill of health and the ute had travelled hardly any KM's since that argument died a silent death; apart from the fact it's a tarmac toy and has hardly seen any dirt.

Anyway pissed off that the gbox failed in the first place but happy i ain't got any bills to pay.
If you're in control, you ain't going fast enuff!
Install

Re: "Lunched" the Auto!!!

Postby High Country on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:38 pm

Wonder if the 420nm bit has anything to do with it..........?? Warrenty has gotta cover it anyway mate. You wanna buy that personalised plate of mine..........??
Tip # 1 - Avoid stress & grief & low resale values with vehicles - do it once - do it right, buy a HILUX!!
High Country

Re: "Lunched" the Auto!!!

Postby Install on Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:24 am

No other recorded failures in Australasia on 420NM or std's (1st one logged with Mitsi apparently). Monster is putting Massive torque through his Std transmission with no ill effects or failures. I know a few here in NZ with higher torque figures than me going through Triton auto's and again no problems. I think this was just a random failure & i'm the lucky Smuck.
No posts on any forums regarding auto failures in the new 4M41 Triton i can find anywhere.
The warranty covers returning the vehicle to the original "std" condition; i.e it does not cover any aftermarket "additions" the vehicle owner has added since the ute left the factory, so they didn't need replace my additions sticking to the exact warranty wording. Like i said above i'm happy with how they have treated me on this issue. :)

I'll leave the plate for now High Country, you know gotta wait for this recession to pass .......... :(
If you're in control, you ain't going fast enuff!
Install

Return to Drive Train Components