Strange 1st gear flat spot??

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Strange 1st gear flat spot??

Postby Ackley Improved on Fri May 19, 2017 7:57 pm

Hi

My first post here. Recently bought a 2009 3.2 glxr. I like the car, came from a 1999 hilux non turbo so this thing is a luxury powerhouse.

Ive used the search function and spent the last couple days reading a lot of info about surging, egr, and scv. Im still not 100% on what to tackle first. I believe carbon build up isnt the issue unless i didnt understand what i have read. The car still has power and acceleration. Now my issue.

It is bad on a cold motor but becomes les once warm and driven around. It is only present mainly in first gear under acceleration. It only occurs between 2200-3000rpm area. The problem is under acceleration in first gear once I hit 2200rpm there is a massive flat spot. It takes the car a good 5-10 seconds to reach 3000rpm. Once it hits 3000rpm issue goes away. During this rpm range where the loss of acceleration occurs it does get a few jerks as it wants to go but then flat spots again. Today my partner was behind me and when this occurred she mentioned there was a white/grey smoke during take off. I think it is still there once in 2nd gear but it is hardly felt.

From reading all the threads it might be the suction control valve. If you were me where would you start? I don't want to throw cash at this car fixing stuff that's not the issue. Also the SCV needs to be calibrated once replaced.

Right now it is really painful to drive. Other info it has 119km on the clock, full service history.

Have started modifying the car, 265/70/17's next week, suspension next week, and still deciding on what bullbar.

Thanks for any help given.
Ackley Improved

Re: Strange 1st gear flat spot??

Postby ag9111 on Fri May 19, 2017 9:44 pm

New fuel filter
Map sensor clean
Maf sensor clean
Air filter

All low cost items
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ackley Improved on Tue May 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Fuel filter and air filter changed.. map and maf cleaned.. SCV changed out issue is still there. I put a bottle of cleaner in the tank and it has reduced how severe the rough acceleration is between 2000-3000rpm.

Next step?? Really dont notice it in other gears except 1st, maybe slightly there in 2nd when motor is cold.

This is painful. Buy a triton they said haha
Ackley Improved

Postby RHKTriton on Tue May 23, 2017 6:14 pm

Check out the swirl flap actuator.

Does it move freely?

Disable it and see how it goes.

I'd also try a dose of two stroke oil for a full tank - may free up something.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ackley Improved on Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:11 am

Problem has been solved. Yep was a full plenum of carbon. Car was put on Gscan tool and there was nothing out of the ordinary going on. Was given the tip that if the MAP sensor pipe on the plenum has caebon in it, then the plenum will be full. Took around 3.5 hours to do the job but to make thinga easier a bath was used to clean it all up. I'd say add another 2 hours to the job if cleaning by hand.

So for reference for anybody else.. if you car experiences flatspot/blue smoke between 2000-3000rpm, it is much worse when cold and more noticeable in first gear then I'd be looking at carbon first. No gaskets were needed, everything can be reused.

For a definite check to see how bad the carbon is it is really easy and a quick job to remove the EGR . Once removed the amount of carbon be easily seen.

Next job is the valves!
Ackley Improved

Return to Drive Train Components