4M41 to MN engine conversion

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Postby ag9111 on Mon May 22, 2017 8:22 pm

Has anybody heard of any successful engine swaps into MN's.
Links please if possible.

I am thinking NW pajero 3.2 plus auto and transfer but keen to know what else is floating around.

Happy Justin :lol:
Last edited by ag9111 on Tue May 23, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Re: MN engine conversion

Postby ag9111 on Mon May 22, 2017 8:41 pm

And No.
Mine has not gone bang

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue May 23, 2017 4:36 am

I keep my ear to the ground on these things, but those that are contemplating it are still discussing the integration of the ESC with the converted engine. This really is the biggest hurdle.

I reckon that the NW setup would be quite achievable, as it could well be possible to use the existing ECU, and have it remapped for fuelling to suit the 3.2. This would leave all the other parameters intact, which should satisfy the regs. MRT should be able to help with that, but it would be pricey. The added bonus would be the relative simplicity of the wiring loom. It would be vital to get both the NW ECU and the complete engine/transmission loom, else your costs will blow out. I've done a few conversions like this, where you are "pioneering" the whole time. It's a lonely world when even the internet can't offer advice :lol:

Technically, there are a lot of things that will fit in there. I have measured up for an LS1 and a 350 Diesel, both running a T700R auto adapted to the standard transfer case. Mechanically, it's fairly straightforward. The LS1 would be straight LPG injection and would require a diff ratio swap, and the Diesel would require modifications to the fuel lines. The LS1 operates off a stand-alone ECU, which would then have to be interfaced with the Mitsi ECU and ETACS. The 350 Diesel isn't electronic, which opens it's own can of worms.

The other drawback is the budget. Even if you do pretty much everything yourself, it still runs around $8k - $15k for a conversion. It sounds like a lot, but I have learned from experience that things start adding up quickly, especially when you are talking custom parts, electronic integration or dyno time. You really have to weigh up the cost/benefit.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Headley on Tue May 23, 2017 10:37 am

I reckon a front cut or a complete MN wreck with the 3.2 would be the way to go for ease of swap over.

Would love to fit an LS1 though, that would be awesome.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/capalab ... 1148643353

"Holden vx 5.7ltr and auto g/c runs on petrol or gas, engine is in car and can be test driven prior to removal. $2000"

- Engine
- Transmission
- Wiring loom
- ECU
- Fuel system

$2k

Hmmm

How much space is there for an LS1 in an MN Triton? :)
Headley

Postby ag9111 on Tue May 23, 2017 12:06 pm

I am looking to purchase a complete NW wreck for access to parts.
I am already budgeting around $15k to do the work. Hopefully less as I should be able to sell left over bits from both the triton and Pajero.
I crawled under a Gen 3 Pajero to do some quick measurements and what stuck out was the Transfer was much wider than the Triton. Might be an issue getting it between the chassis rails and then lining up the front drive shaft. I have access to 2off NX Pajeros to take measurements from.
My biggest issue is that I have a manual, so an auto swap will also require a GLX-r auto triton wreck for the bits and pieces needed. Getting a bit expensive now. I have not had time to chase up transmission drawings, to see that is involved, yet.
Deciding which ECU to run with is also causing me a bit of an issue, as tuning houses are a bit busy atm to talk.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Re: 4M41 to MN engine conversion

Postby borngeek on Tue May 23, 2017 4:41 pm

Subscribed

Can run the engine standalone and leave everything in place as is. Pull the engine light globe out! Is such a annoying little light that one

I can help with standalone ecu and auto internal bits you need from a auto triton, grab the donor vehicle
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby beej75 on Tue May 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Between this and the other thread floating around in here with the guy putting the Holden 5L V8 in his Triton, I should be able to vicariously get my 'mod' on, while kinda being limited to cosmetic changes for the next few years.
beej75

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue May 23, 2017 5:03 pm

ag9111 wrote:I am looking to purchase a complete NW wreck for access to parts.
I am already budgeting around $15k to do the work. Hopefully less as I should be able to sell left over bits from both the triton and Pajero.
I crawled under a Gen 3 Pajero to do some quick measurements and what stuck out was the Transfer was much wider than the Triton. Might be an issue getting it between the chassis rails and then lining up the front drive shaft. I have access to 2off NX Pajeros to take measurements from.
My biggest issue is that I have a manual, so an auto swap will also require a GLX-r auto triton wreck for the bits and pieces needed. Getting a bit expensive now. I have not had time to chase up transmission drawings, to see that is involved, yet.
Deciding which ECU to run with is also causing me a bit of an issue, as tuning houses are a bit busy atm to talk.

A wreck will certainly make life easy.

Remember that for engineering approval, you will have a much easier time if you are running the OEM ECU for the engine, else they can send you for emissions testing as part of the process. Running as much of the OEM exhaust as possible is also helpful, and you will also have to do a dB test as part of the certification. Find an RMS approved engineer that you feel comfortable with, and discuss it all with him first. It makes life a lot easier if you both know what the process will be, and the engineer will tell you what things he wants you to do as part of the build.

The end goal is to get it legally certified. You can always change the ECU and exhaust after the certificate is issued ;)
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Tue May 23, 2017 6:24 pm

borngeek wrote:Subscribed

Can run the engine standalone and leave everything in place as is. Pull the engine light globe out! Is such a annoying little light that one

I can help with standalone ecu and auto internal bits you need from a auto triton, grab the donor vehicle

We are not in Thailand now Toto.

Unfortunately in the nanny state of NSW, we have to retain the ASC which means making a standalone ECU work with the triton ECU .
I can see many many dramas there.

I certainly dont want the internals from a certain black ML. Bit worn out ;)

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Tue May 23, 2017 6:31 pm

beej75 wrote:Between this and the other thread floating around in here with the guy putting the Holden 5L V8 in his Triton, I should be able to vicariously get my 'mod' on, while kinda being limited to cosmetic changes for the next few years.

Don't froth up to early.
This is going to be a long term project. I will hit 100,000km on the way to work tomorrow. If it doesn't go bang in the mean time, it won't happen till 200,000 plus.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bill65 on Tue May 23, 2017 8:46 pm

hi ag im in a different boat too you my mn is a 2010 no ASC single cab I'm looking at about 15k all up.the ute cost 3k with 160000klms on it . it a good rebuild for me. now looking for nw or nx pajero .when it is finish I am just going to take it in for a rwc and see if they say something :roll: ps there is a challenger in nsw with a gen3 motor and auto in it
bill65
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Tue May 23, 2017 9:39 pm

Is that the PA challenger?
I'm pretty sure you could not put a gen 3 motor into a8 PB in NSW. Rules :roll:

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby beej75 on Wed May 24, 2017 8:12 am

ag9111 wrote:Don't froth up to early.
This is going to be a long term project.

My life is also a long term project. It's just good to have a place to go back to with "I wonder what that's up to" once in a while. There are about a dozen such cars floating around forums that I slowly track (and several workshop projects, of which the most epic is certain this bicycle frame maker: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=112578), but I'm new to the world of Tritons (only had an MK for about a year) so it's good finding mods even in the planning stages.

I used to do this stuff as a kid (z18's and FJ20T's into Datsun 1600s). I love engine swaps.
beej75

Postby bill65 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:56 pm

finally next week a NX pajero has come up in Victoria klms? on it don't know 2015 one. get this and need to find a big garage too rent :D
bill65
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Shwa on Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Definitely following this thread! I've been wondering which Pajero 3.2 would fit in my 2009MN. A long way off being able to afford such a conversion and would be looking at a manual conversion, but definitely very interested in this build.
It's not the time in the life that matters, it's the life in the time!
Shwa

Postby Shwa on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:51 pm

Wondering where the research for this build is at? I’m rather interested in which 3.2 Padjero motor will fit in my manual 2009 MN triton myself. I’d be sticking with the manual too. After having it tuned (flashed), I’ve learnt that the ECU is programmed somehow differently to the later MN’s (according to the workshop I had it tuned anyway). Wondering what else might be slightly different. It’ll be good to follow this build to see what other issues arise.
It's not the time in the life that matters, it's the life in the time!
Shwa

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:33 pm

You'd think taking the engine right thru to the transfer box as a unit would drop straight in.

The level of compatibility of the 3.2 ecu with the mn etacs, SRS, etc is the question.

Or would you let the mn ecu run the 3.2?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joel on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:07 pm

Would it be easier to drop a triton body onto a pajero chassy the way it has been done to the v8 maverik?
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby ag9111 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:28 pm

The pajero tranny and transfer are a lot wider than the tritons so not a staight drop in although it will be close. Mechanic and engineer think it is a possibility.
The pajero is a monoque body so it has no ladder chassis like the triton. Triton body onto pajero is not possible.
Not a lot has been happening on this due to other priorities. To get the climate control and auto working on mine, 2013 glxr, i will require an upmarket donor vehicle for the ecu.
For a 2009 manual a base model vehicle will prob do.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Drive Train Components