Chip-It Manual Boost Controller - ML - Issue

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Chip-It Manual Boost Controller - ML - Issue

Postby leeroy12 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:36 am

Hi Guys,
Had a search around and couldn't find the same issue anywhere.
Finally got myself a Chip-It and the manual boost controller came with it.
Great power and torque gains.

Issue i'm having is, after 24-48hrs the manual boost controller seems to fail?
I know this sounds strange, and it does my head in, as I cannot work out why.
Spoke to Robert from Chip-it and he's never heard of this issue.

I run an UltraGauge, which has been fairly accurate with boost reading. Running without the Boost controller it's always shown a maximum of 16.1psi.

Installed the Manual Boost controller, wind out 3 full turns and I get a tad over 19psi and high 400's torque, which is great, under high load I can hear the air bleeding off through the little holes in the boost controller, make a buzzing type of sound.

After 24-48hrs, boost goes back to just under 17psi. Strange.
I wind the grub screw back in the same amount of turn, wind it back out and boom back to 19psi.

This has been happening since I got it.

I've pulled it out, found swarf and other bits, which I've cleaned thoroughly, re-assembled and put back, 19psi again, great, then a few days later, back to just over standard.
Have tried winding it in one turn then back out one turn (from the 3 turns that's not working) and this doesn't resolve it.

Only fix is to wind it all the way in and then back out, which is obviously giving me the shits :-)

Was thinking the O'ring on the grub screw might be in the wrong position or not seated correctly? Next step is going to be removing the O'ring completely.

Has anyone had this issue or understand what's happening? AS its mechanical and the grub screw doesn't move, it doesn't make sense why this is happening!

Cheers
Leeroy.
leeroy12

Re: Chip-It Manual Boost Controller - ML - Issue

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:21 pm

So how long a stint do you drive at a time?

Does boost drop off when you take your foot off the pedal?

Haven't got the manual boost controller in backwards? Assume its looks like a 'T' with two hose connections and adjusting knob.

Can you put up a pic of your setup?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Chip-It Manual Boost Controller - ML - Issue

Postby leeroy12 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:43 pm

Driving is usually to work and back - 40mins either way.
Boost drops off when foot released,
I've had the UltraGauge on for years, plenty of other mods, Resistor Mod, 3in Exhaust, K&N, snorkel etc.
Monitoring over the years the boost has never hit over 16.1psi as a Standard boost setup.
When I found the swarf in the thread I thought I was on a winner, as it last 5 40min runs, but then just stops.
Still goes to 16.9ish, but no more. I can then just wind that grub screw in and wind it out and we're back in business, this is with the motor on or off.

Large whole towards wastagate, its a fairly simple.
It's the standard on that comes with the Chip it when you need a manual boost controller.
See link below, mines looks exactly like it.

https://www.chiptuning.com.au/wp-conten ... ctions.jpg

Cheers
Leeroy
leeroy12

Return to Drive Train Components