Tranfer Case 4 low not engaging

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Tranfer Case 4 low not engaging

Postby OBGBJ on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:09 am

Hi everyone,
I have a 2011 MN 4x4

4 low will engage and when you release the clutch there is a loud grinding noise and no drive. Although 4 high and the diff lockers engage with no issues. The vehicle only has 50k on the clock. I purchased it at an auction, so have no idea of history or fault, didnt know it had the issue, even though a mechanic checked over the vehicle prior to purchasing, sigh, in Townsville.

Even without a load on a hoist 4 low will not engage. The car drives beautifully, but i would like my 4 low to work!!

Any ideas on this. I have checked the solenoids, checked them over, but really have no idea. I have had it to my mechanic but he is scratching his head. I am in Darwin, so i am limited for options. I dont want something that maybe, maybe an easy fix costing me a fortune. So any ideas would be great.

Thanks guys :D
OBGBJ

Re: Tranfer Case 4 low not engaging

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:10 am

Plastic/selector bush on top of transfer case?
L200Shogun

Postby OBGBJ on Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi L20shogun, had the top out and checked all this with Mitsubishi spare parts and nothing was out of place here......thanks mate
OBGBJ

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:50 pm

Sounds like a strip down job.

If your not getting any drive in 4low, it would suggest the gear set involved or dog clutch for this
Gear is gone.

At best the transfer lever or selector fork is possibly bent.

You could open the drain plug on the transfer and check for any chunky bits.

Regardless what your front end is up to, selecting 4low should at least be engaging the rear drive.

You should avoid driving it until you get the problem sorted. If the is debris in the box you could destroy all the guts.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby OBGBJ on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:43 pm

Hi RHKTriton, thanks for the advice. I am hoping it is a bent selector. As it appessrs to have happening prior to me purchasing as i have driven it from Townsville to Darwin and then all around here including 4wding.
Any idea on how big of a job that it maybe for someone to say yes the selector is bent or not. I prefer to be prepared rather than ripped off as this an area I have no idea about.....
OBGBJ

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:14 am

Don't know how much, but at least its on the end of the power plant and not in the middle (as in gear box), so possibly dropping prop shafts and pulling transfer off the gearbox.

Obviously lever would have to come off the top first.

Have you checked the oil?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby OBGBJ on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:00 am

Cheers. Yes the oil has been changed as there was a leak at the pinion seal when i purchased the vehicle. The oil was replaced then and my mechanic reported no issues.
OBGBJ

Return to Drive Train Components