Sound of air under acceleration.

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Sound of air under acceleration.

Postby Goplayoutdoors on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:36 pm

I have an 2010 MN Auto,

My gf and I were driving home form hospital last night (bunged me back), so I was laying flat in the passenger seat. After we pulled in to fill up, the car stared making a strange sound, only on acceleration.

It sounds a lot like the car is sucking air, or a non streamlined object is moving through the air, reminiscent of the sound your AC fan makes when it's pumping. It only happens under acceleration. From where I was laying in the passenger side, it sounded like it was coming from the dash or maybe the snorkel.

She said the car felt normal to drive, no loss of power, no warning lights etc.

Today, I was able to waddle to the car and had her open the hood for me to eyeball hoses etc. Everything looks normal, I didn't check the air filter box.

It had an EGR blank and catch can installed a couple weeks ago, I don't know if or how either would have much to do with anything?

Can anyone make sense of what I'm describing or have any thoughts on what it might be?
Goplayoutdoors

Re: Sound of air under acceleration.

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:55 pm

Even though you say you've had a look, check air inlet pipes. Sounds like one may have come loose. You should be able to track it down with someone revving the engine while you contort your back to get your head under there.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Duck on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:59 pm

Could she hear it as well ? not just something to do with you laying down in the seat ?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Goplayoutdoors on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:00 pm

NowForThe5th, I'll have paper poke around and check all pipes are tight when I can. We revved it while stationary and couldn't hear it, so is only in drive under acceleration.

Duck, Nah, she could hear it as well, it was pretty audible.

When we filled up, she accidentally popped the bonnet instead of opening the fuel cap, she shut it and once we took off the sound was there. Bizarre.

Someone suggested I might be hearing air passing through the new catch can, that perhaps its high enough need the firewall that we're hearing it, though it hasn't been there the past 2 weeks since install.
Goplayoutdoors

Postby Goplayoutdoors on Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:41 pm

Split hose from turbo to intercooler in the end, turns out there was power loss.
Goplayoutdoors

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:47 pm

:D
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to Drive Train Components