Smashed front diff switch

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Smashed front diff switch

Postby YZ250 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:30 am

So i learnt the hard way on the weekend that the factory bash plates are in fact 'woefully inadequate' as I think they were desribed in a review I read. My Car is a 2010 GLX-R that I bought second hand and I love it, however at some point on the weekend I hit a rock and smashed the front diff switch and bent up the tin foil bash plate too. I didnt even notice it go - i can recall the track where it most likely happened but it wasnt until 20kms later that I noticed the lights were blinking on the dash. I have two questions:

1) When this switch broke, would the car have reverted to 2WD or stayed in 4WD? The dashlights indicated I was in 2WD (constant flashing) but I had to get out a really steep track on the way home which we always use Low Range for (and i was able to select low range as per normal). After I crawled out of that I assumed the car was in 4WD and it was just a dash light fault. It wasnt til I got home that I noticed oil pooling under the front of that car and the smashed (i.e mutilated, severed wires) switch. Which brings me to my second question:

2) Is the car safe to drive for a couple of days with no (or very low) front diff oil? I have it in 2WD now of course.

According the ebay ad where I bought the part its part number 32052 "Front Diff Freewheel Clutch Switch".

Brendan
YZ250

Return to Drive Train Components