Trouble engaging low range

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Trouble engaging low range

Postby I3endar on Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi everyone.

I recently got back from a beach run where I engaged 4WD for the first time in about 9 months (I know, so ashamed...) only to find I couldn’t get the transfer stick into low range while I was there. 2H, 4H and 4HLC are all good but the stick won’t push in to go across into 4LLC.

It's not the problem where you can't get the lever into position but it won't engage (where you might need to drive for a bit or reverse etc.) - I can't even get that far because of the above issue of not being able to push the lever in. I swear the lever used to push in no matter what position it's in, i.e. you can be in 2H and still push it down.

Any ideas? ML GLX-R manual with Super Select. The only thing I can think of in this time is getting my clutch replaced but I've been assured by a couple of mechanics that this wouldn't affect the transfer case. I've also had the centre console our to wire a few things up and read that this could affect bushes but I don't see how as it's all enclosed. Really wan't to get an idea before I start forking out cash for someone to tear things apart!

Cheers
Brad
I3endar

Re: Trouble engaging low range

Postby TheSheepKed on Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:53 pm

Don't mean to sound rude at all but were you in neutral? Doesn't let me push mine into 4L if it isn't in N or P.
TheSheepKed

Re: Trouble engaging low range

Postby I3endar on Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:01 pm

Haha not at all, always the first question asked. It's a manual and I always go neutral and clutch in for changing the transfer lever if I'm stopped (so definitely for 4L). As I said, lever won't push in which I think is the problem. In the past I'm sure I could be sitting at the lights with the clutch in when in 2H and even push the thing in out of boredom.
I3endar

Return to Drive Train Components