Auto popping out of drive when on the move!

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Auto popping out of drive when on the move!

Postby eldarau on Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:16 pm

Thi problem is pretty much exactly the same as the one here

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20038

However here are some more details and maybe somebody can give me some pointers or at least let me know if I am heading in the right direction.

The Triton is a 2012 MN model with a little over 127000 on the clock and is driven sensibly, Drive really well and all that but the following have happened.

Yesterday while returning from the 8km tip run with an empty 6x4 box trailer it popped out of drive on turning a corner with a small bump. My immediate response was to grab the shifter(it hadn't moved from D) and before I did anything else it was back in drive. No further issues.

Today on a 15km drive towards the end it happened again. On my return journey, it happened after driving again for 10 to 15 minutes.

I found a quiet side street and did some tests the results are

In any position P R N D 2 1 when the shifter is shaken or pressed slightly forward it only disengages when in D (and that is only sometimes). When the D disappears from the digital readout the car losses power even though the engine is running normally and will not transfer drive to the wheels until the shifter is pulled back slightly, the D reappears and the transmission engages with the engine.

When driving in 1 or 2 it never happens.

This to me suggests a problem with the Switch or gate at the base of the shifter directly related to the "D" position. Like an electrical problem.

Does this sound reasonable?

I welcome all comments and any help you can provide.
Eldarau
eldarau

Re: Auto popping out of drive when on the move!

Postby mostlymago on Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:41 pm

Sounds a lot like the inhibitor switch. I had the same problem in 2017 after buying my 2010 MN. Got it replaced and haven't had any issues with it. It was about $500 for the part and labour, it's a pretty straight forward and easy enough job.
mostlymago

Re: Auto popping out of drive when on the move!

Postby mq3175 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:58 pm

eldarau wrote:Thi problem is pretty much exactly the same as the one here

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20038

However here are some more details and maybe somebody can give me some pointers or at least let me know if I am heading in the right direction.

The Triton is a 2012 MN model with a little over 127000 on the clock and is driven sensibly, Drive really well and all that but the following have happened.

Yesterday while returning from the 8km tip run with an empty 6x4 box trailer it popped out of drive on turning a corner with a small bump. My immediate response was to grab the shifter(it hadn't moved from D) and before I did anything else it was back in drive. No further issues.

Today on a 15km drive towards the end it happened again. On my return journey, it happened after driving again for 10 to 15 minutes.

I found a quiet side street and did some tests the results are

In any position P R N D 2 1 when the shifter is shaken or pressed slightly forward it only disengages when in D (and that is only sometimes). When the D disappears from the digital readout the car losses power even though the engine is running normally and will not transfer drive to the wheels until the shifter is pulled back slightly, the D reappears and the transmission engages with the engine.

When driving in 1 or 2 it never happens.

This to me suggests a problem with the Switch or gate at the base of the shifter directly related to the "D" position. Like an electrical problem.

Does this sound reasonable?

I welcome all comments and any help you can provide.
Eldarau

Sounds like the selector may be out of adjustment or it has worn selector bush
mq3175

Return to Drive Train Components